Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

• 11-02-2010 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Haven't invested in the paper version this year yet so decided to start an online log. Have looked at other logs and there are benefits as always with sahring the pain and getting advice.

Targets this year include a sub 2.45 in Paris marathon. I am using 1000 mile challenge to keep my mileage high. I have been lucky with injury as I took a sizeable jump in miles in early january following an easy couple of months.

Looking for a few good results in hill races in the summer also.

Wednesday 10 Feb 09:

14.25m easy

Tuesday 11 Feb 09:

a.m 7.75 easy
    p.m circuits 1 hour
    3.75 easy

11.5 total
    Cycling about 15m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Best of luck with the log T Runner.
    Sub 2.45 in Paris would be serious running, would set ya up for a great warriors run which I presume ya will be doing.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

best of luck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck with the log T Runner.
    Sub 2.45 in Paris would be serious running, would set ya up for a great warriors run which I presume ya will be doing.

Good luck

I was doing marathon training for Dublin during last years Warriors run and the strenght gained was a huge help. I did a lot of 2k reps during this training and a lot of long tempos (up to 49 mins continous before WR).

Did you run last year/ Are you running this year?

Friday 12 Feb 09:

5 miles recovery pace including (6 by 20s at 5k-3k race pace)

Legs felt heavy after circuits/cycling commute last night but cleared up well. Strides for Cupids Dash tommorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Welcome on board T. Whilst running solo this morning I could almost picture you running ahead of me :). Its great to see you getting a solid mileage foundation and with a bit of luck your Paris goals will be rewarded. After that you can join us back on the hills!

• Advertisement

Welcome on board T. Whilst running solo this morning I could almost picture you running ahead of me :). Its great to see you getting a solid mileage foundation and with a bit of luck your Paris goals will be rewarded. After that you can join us back on the hills!

Indeed. I believe you passed me out at about mile 14 of your run!

The mileage foundation is great and the 1000 mile challenge is great for achieving this and forces consistency.

With the mixture of hillrunning and high mileage you will be absolutely flying come the hills of Connemara.

13 Feb 2010

AM Cupids 10k. 34.15 Will follow with report. Tot. 9.6 m

PM 6.5m recovery pace

Total 16.1m

Great 10k time! So much for having no speed. Good stuff at hitting the no.1 spot :)

Thanks Slogger. Was very surprised with it. Did first interval session on tuesday. On top of the strenght from high mileage and cross country races it seems to have done thr trick somehow. Last kilometer 100-200m short.

Sunday Feb 14th 2010

LSR: 25k 2h 15

Very sluggish today, well over 5 min Ks off road in Phoenix Park.
    Race took more out of me yesterday than I thought.

Total 15.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

T runner wrote: »
    I was doing marathon training for Dublin during last years Warriors run and the strenght gained was a huge help. I did a lot of 2k reps during this training and a lot of long tempos (up to 49 mins continous before WR).

Did you run last year/ Are you running this year?

Ya I have run the Warriors run the last five years, my first one when I was 18 and injury free was my best in just under 70mins,since them have done 71mins(2006),71mins(2007), 76mins(2008) and 72mins this year.
    Was actually training for DCM last year during the WR but injured IT band after running the Dublin Half in 1.29.

Will hopefully do it this year, its the one race I think if your from Sligo ya want to do. Not sure how well ill do this year tho, gone back to college so dont know how much training ill fit in, probaly gonna do a few Tris which will help tho. Definetly in the next few year im gonna plan to do sub 65mins which I think is achievable with a proper plan.

Keep up the good work, great time in the cupid 10k

• Advertisement

Mon Feb 15 2010

Recovery Day:

Lunchtime 4.4m recovery pace

P.M 6.5m recovery pace

Schedule calls for recovery day tommorrow. May do a 20 mile run on Wednesday to free weekend up for Masters/Intermediate CC.

Tue Feb 16 2010

Lunch 4.4m recovery
    PM 7.25m recovery

Still tired. Will wait till tommorrow to decide on what run to do. May go for a long run at easy pace instead of a faster pace.

Wed Feb 17th 2910

Lunch 4.4 recovery pace.

PM 7.75 easy run inc 8 by 100m strides at 5k pace.

Still feeling a bit tired but recovering OK. Planned a single long run today but had to change due to visitors. Will probably keep it easy until the Cross Country on Sunday.

Shamefully I must cross my name off the lent list. Now for another cup of sugary tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fair play to ya. Sure you nearly lasted the whole day. :)

Fair play to ya. Sure you nearly lasted the whole day. :)

Bought canderel and everything but couldnt find teh stuff for teh life of me last night.
    I took not finding it as some kind of sign and proceeded to have 5 cups of sugary tea to cal the nerves.
    Im alarmed at how easily I caved in.

Well, if it helps, there are more calories in a banana, than there are in 5 spoons of sugar. Maybe you should give up bananas?!

Are you going to give up the hill races as it gets closer to your marathon? I was toying with the idea of doing Tibradden on Saturday, but with only two weeks to go to Barcelona marathon, I'm thinking of airing on the side of caution.

Well, if it helps, there are more calories in a banana, than there are in 5 spoons of sugar. Maybe you should give up bananas?!

Are you going to give up the hill races as it gets closer to your marathon? I was toying with the idea of doing Tibradden on Saturday, but with only two weeks to go to Barcelona marathon, I'm thinking of airing on the side of caution.

No hill races for me before marathon. If its your first hill race of the year you will get extreme soreness for a good view days after it from the downhill. I wouldnt recommend it so close.

No hill races for me before marathon. If its your first hill race of the year you will get extreme soreness for a good view days after it from the downhill. I wouldnt recommend it so close.
    I did Annacurra two weeks ago, but was sore for about three days afterwards (including some unwelcome ankle pain), so I'll probably stick with the plan, and do a flat time-trial on Saturday instead (yawn).

I did Annacurra two weeks ago, but was sore for about three days afterwards (including some unwelcome ankle pain), so I'll probably stick with the plan, and do a flat time-trial on Saturday instead (yawn).

You wont ahve as much pain if youve a race under your belt but you will have some.

I heard there is a new trail on tibradden but it used to be a a good course for an ankle twist on the descent near the end.

Is there any flat race at the weekend you could tempo through?

You wont ahve as much pain if youve a race under your belt but you will have some.

I heard there is a new trail on tibradden but it used to be a a good course for an ankle twist on the descent near the end.

Is there any flat race at the weekend you could tempo through?
    Sadly not. That's the price of training through winter for an early spring marathon. Right. I'll shuffle back over to my own training log, and stop looking for advice in yours. :)

• Advertisement

Thurs 18th Feb 2010

AM 7.75m recovery pace. Felt very sluggish. Decided to start very slow. Didnt force it but started to feel good halfway through for the first time this week. Wearing the compression tights is a huge help and im finding these recovery runs take a bit of learning. Kept it easy till the end.

PM 6.7m easy run from work to circuits with club: Circuits 45 mins.

6.9m easy run home after circuits.

Total for day: 21.35

A quiet running day then :rolleyes:

A quiet running day then :rolleyes:

Yep, I saw a lot of Dublin today: A big triangle between Ballybough, Kill O and Ballinteer. The middle run was nice but I was getting a bit weary running across the city in the cold on the way home. No long run this W-end with cross country in Boyle on Sunday.

Fri 19th Feb 2010

am 7.75m easy

Easyish day today resting up a bit for weekend cross country.

Sat 20th Feb 2010

4 Miles inc 7 by 100m strides

For CC tommorrow. Ill probably be put in the the intermediate I think. Im about 6th fastest on the team on paper but there may be 4 of us competing for the lower 2 scoring places (4 to score). We have too very good lads pushing for top 10s. It makes sense because we have a chance of a medal if everyone goes well and competition for scoring places will mean this is more likely. I see myself maybe as 5th on the team. Going well but never as strong on the country where strenght is a bigger factor. 10k should suit though with all the high mileage. Will go out steady and push for all my worth after, keeping an eye on the scoring places. Ill tell the lads my evil plan ofcourse so they know if they dont push too they wont score. Itll be cold but the harder the ground is the better for me.

Good running T. Good luck tomorrow.

Sunday Feb 21st

Race: National Masters.

Mediocre run. Lovely course although very short. Dont know time or place yet. 1st scorer on team just about, but we were well out of the medals.

8 miles total

Monday Feb 22st

lunch 6.5 miles easy. Tried out new Nike Lunar racer runners.

pm 4 miles brisk. Sub 6 min miles. Should have more discipline, was supposed to be easy. Runners are deadly. very light with great cushioning. Definately wearing them for matathon.

Total for day: 10.5 miles

Edit: 4 mile PM run actually 3.6m. 6.40 miles. Still way too fast. Will factor into tuesdays 1000 mile entry

Tue Feb 23rd

PM easy run to training 6.3 miles
    training 4 * 1k with 2 min rest: conditions cold, windy wet horrible. Small session due to CC on Sun. Mainly tarmac-some grass
    3.43 (fell)

Felt hard-went at tempo pace but couldnt have gone much faster. initially planned 14.5 mile run brisk or easy depending on how I was feeling. Should have stuck to plan. Am short of continuous runs.

Ran home 6.9m

Total for day 15.7
    Total for year 509.5 - halfway on the 1000 mile-lucky with injury and illness so far touch wood.

I have to be careful now. 7 lbs max swing in weight last week. Must keep restraint and train within myself.

Wed 24-2-2010

AM 7.75 recovery run. Found this extremely tough mentally. Felt stiff this morning and running was the last thing I wanted to do. The run met my worst predictions and was glad when I arrived at work. Glad to have done it though.

PM 7.75 easy with 8 by 100 strides/leg speed.

Started the run with leg turnover anxious to avoid a repeat of this morning's slog. Fely way better. Had about 4k left after my strides and they felt comfortable. Legs a bit tired but to be expected at this stage.

Mondays brisk run was a mistake I wont be making again (hopefully). Recovery days for recovery.

Thurs 25/2/2010

Medium long run 14.5 miles

Good run. The route was from my work in Lill O Grange around Killiney Hill and back to Ballybough via Dalkey, coast and toll bridge. Trying to incorporate a few P and D runs so started briskish. Felt strong but kept it controlled. Picked it up with 6 to go. Initially tried to push it and struggled but realised it was better just to keep it at a fast cadence and managed the same speed by doing this. Havent been able to do many of these runs recently so it was tough enough. A few more of these runs and ill hopefully have that cadence ingrained in me.

• Advertisement

Friday 26/2/2010

Rest day. First rest in a long time. Very nice.

Sat 27/2/2010

AM Garda BHAA 4 mile. Ran fairly well. Tired. Top 20 I think but not too far off top 10. Legs carrying a wee bit of tiredness.

8 miles

PM 3.5 miles easy

Sun 28/2/2010

Long 18 miles. 7.10 ave. Tarmac and grass. Wrong run. Should have done 20-21 LSR. Considering this for wednesday which will affect my Carlingford half marathon performance this saturday but needs must. Short of LSR and risking bonking come Paris.

Advertisement