Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB Fans

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey guys just looking for a bit of help. Am thinking of building a DJ rig of sorts. I'm just after buying a new 17" Laptop and am planing on putting this into a flightcase. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=36796&doy=30m1#spec

My plan is to put everything in to this, extra HDD for music the power supply etc etc. Obviously the computer, power supply and hdd are going to create a lot of heat so was thinking of adding some fans,

My question is does anyone know of anywhere I can get fans (maybe with some nice blue lights) that I can attach to the underside of the flight case to supply fresh air to the computer etc that are run off the usb power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

sorry forgot to say it, thanks in advance. Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Underside of the flight case? You mean in the case, underneath the laptop, or the exterior of the case (which doesn't make much sense, as you'd have to carve up the case).

You could put a laptop cooler into the bottom of the case, they run off usb, but the circulation wouldn't exactly be great if it was sitting at the bottom of a case...

was thinking of putting it on the flight case, Yes I know it means cutting holes in the case, but shouldn't look too bad if done neatly, was looking at 80mm fans on ebay. is there any adapter you can get that would let you power lets say this fan http://cgi.ebay.com/Logisys-80mm-Computer-Color-Case-Fan-Blue-LED-lights_W0QQitemZ270206348940QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

off a usb port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have been DJing since 2001 from laptops, I still use my first Pentium 3 600mhz Dell Latitude CPX equipped with 2 x 120 gb hdds (8 years old) edirol UA3 USB 1 soundcard as back up. I would not recommend boxing any laptop up in a flight case unless you have a suberb cooling and this will involve cutting holes. USB fans will add too much strain to your laptop particularly if you are using additional external caddys that require power from the usb.

I have had several laptops crash due to overheating and this can be embarrising if you do not have an immediate backup with mixer.

I just recently bought the MK2 OODJ, its pricey but I could see no reason why it cannot be copied, it is basically the motherboard of a centrino 1.7 in a special case with additional fans and a two 120gb hdds. Fitting a larger HDD is a much better option for space than using external caddys, I dropped them in the past, they can freeze and crash. I have seen 2 1/2" 250gb IDE for sale on Komplett for e160, I may be selling off a few 120gbs when I upgrade.

You would be better running a seperate power supply if you wanted extra fans, When I started off several years ago I used a power supply out of an old desktop and had it built into my DJ table to run neons etc, same can be used for powering fans etc.

This crowd on Ebay do alott of DJ accessories.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Digital-DJ-ONLINE

This is the latest MK3 oodj. http://www.oodj.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Totally agree with run to da hills.

Firstly, the case that you are looking at in maplins, is not that strong... i wouldn't be using it to hold your laptop. (i have 4 of those cases and they are ok for lightweight items, like mixers, cds, etc.)

You would be better off looking into metal laptop briefcases that could be modded.

Secondly, you need plenty of circulation around your air intake and exhaust on your laptop. It may sound stupid, but it is critical, as i have seen guys with lovely modded cases, but no common sense to allow for air curculation... and most have told me that they have experienced overheating shutdowns... not good when you are doing a gig!

I use a modded case, but when i setup for a gig, i remove the laptop from the case and place it on top of the closed briefcase for use. Perfect!

And personally, i think the oodj setup is outrageously overpriced!

Good luck with your project.

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    And personally, i think the oodj setup is outrageously overpriced!
    Good luck with your project.
    THey are outragiously over rated considering how dated and limited the guts are. You are paying for the looks. Its basically a centrino duo 1.7 with 250gbs of space, You have to use an external usb cd rom!, It will only take mains power supply which can be a hassle if you get tripped out, happens regularly at gigs, you then need to lug around a UPS. I find my old dell CPX more convenient! I paid 2k for mine as an ex demo, There will be more MK1 and MK2s cropping up now that the MK3 is out. be very warey of them on Ebay and Gumtree, there is alott off scammers out there trying to rip guys off. Only get it COD or Paypal.

Heres a laptop hard case for 20 Quid uk but it dosent give much space for breathing! I would only recommend it just for transporting.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCDJ-Aluminium-briefcase-for-laptop-Computer-DJ_W0QQitemZ320213234495QQihZ011QQcategoryZ31521QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

yes do agree with what everyone has been saying about the heat, know what effects heat can have burned out the motherboard on a P4 2.4 twice, bought computer the best computer ever a toshibe 1.4 centrino, lasted 4 years of hard use eventually gave up after two new keyobards (drink) 1 new power adapter (drink) a few weeks back, power adapter at back is gone faulty and hinge is broken couldn't justify the cost of fixing it at this stage. Have a bit of a brick new 17" toshiba dual core 2.0ghz does not seem to get two hot but haven't put it into a superhot nightclub enviroment yet.

Any recommendations on a case that would be suitable for such a laptop,

in regard to what Run_to_da_hills said about the fans putting extra pressure on the laptop if a added a small powered usb hub would this eliminate this?

briman1983 wrote: »
    yes do agree with what everyone has been saying about the heat, know what effects heat can have burned out the motherboard on a P4 2.4 twice, bought computer the best computer ever a toshibe 1.4 centrino, lasted 4 years of hard use eventually gave up after two new keyobards (drink) 1 new power adapter (drink) a few weeks back, power adapter at back is gone faulty and hinge is broken couldn't justify the cost of fixing it at this stage. Have a bit of a brick new 17" toshiba dual core 2.0ghz does not seem to get two hot but haven't put it into a superhot nightclub enviroment yet.

Any recommendations on a case that would be suitable for such a laptop,
    I have seen cases in Maplins that would have more room for breathing, as i said before you are probably better off keeping it out of a box as it is under enough pressure as it is. I tend to stick with laptops that are common for bits on Ebay like the Dell Latitudes.

What software do you use? I have got away with anything from Windows Media Player to PCDJ red (Had since 2002) and recently Traktor DJ that came with Final Scratch. Forgot to tell ya, that OODJ weighs a ton! about three times the weight of an average laptop, something you need to think about if you intend lugging something similar around a set.

currently running virtual dj 5, started off with this years ago when it was first released haven't ever changed

• Advertisement

currently running virtual dj 5, started off with this years ago when it was first released haven't ever changed
    Some of these packages were good enough when they first came out like PCDJ Pro (now called red), I still have my first copy installed on my back up. What happens is that they make some of the newer versions more complicated. The only advantages in some of the newer versions is the improvements in tagging.

ya I was using virtual dj 3 up until getting the new laptop, virtual dj 5 has gotten overly complicated now, just printed out a 60 page user manual earlier, must find out what everything does. think thats the inly software that will run wuth vista

ya I was using virtual dj 3 up until getting the new laptop, virtual dj 5 has gotten overly complicated now, just printed out a 60 page user manual earlier, must find out what everything does. think thats the inly software that will run wuth vista
    Hopefully software will become like decks where a club standard will be reached where a simple uncomplicated mixing software will be agreed on that will remain unchanged.

Advertisement