Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Network Setup - Advice Needed

• 02-06-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I recently had the opportunity of installing 4 double Cat 6 Points though out my house now I am and I am looking to migrate from my current setup (below) to a more robust one and want some advice on what new setup I should go for.

Current Setup

Located in sitting room (under tv)

ISP – UPC 100meg (Modem Bridged)
    TP Link AC-1750 Wireless router

Located throughout House

TP Link WPA4220 Wireless Power line Extenders
    Wireless Clients – Mobile Phones / Tablets / Laptops / Chromecasts
    Wired Clients – (Direct to Router or Power line Extenders) – 1 PC, 1 TV , 1 Smart DVD, NAS Box

Presently the wireless in the house is unbearable / unusable – so I hope to move to a better option.

All CAT 6 Cables terminate at a patch panel in my home office– I hope to move my UPC Router here and install a switch or router here, due to the location of the my home office (which is at the far extreme side of my house) installing a 8 port+ wireless router is not an option instead I will need a 8 port+ router and one or 2 wireless access points in central locations in the house.

I want to keep my budget small, I prefer to have the firewall / router / switch functionality in an all in one rack mounted box, I would like to have POE functionality but have found noise to be an issue so POE injectors would be fine (POW is only needed for the Access Points Below)

Wireless access points would preferably be ceiling mounted, be POE powered and preferably should be able to run concurrently on 2.4 / 5 ghz bands.

Presently I am thinking of

Router – Mikrotik Gigabit Ethernet Router RB2011UiAS-RM
    Access Point - ZyXEL NWA1123-AC or

Can anyone offer any other suggestions or even their experiences of the above suggested equipment ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Those APs seem pretty nice, seems like youve got it well sussed.

Just make sure moving your Coax drop from UPC isnt going to be a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Also check out the Ubiquiti Unifi range of APs. Amazing range and performance, look great too
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

ED E wrote: »
    Those APs seem pretty nice, seems like youve got it well sussed.

Just make sure moving your Coax drop from UPC isnt going to be a headache.

Coax has already been done - hopefully I wont have much of a signal drop !
    Also check out the Ubiquiti Unifi range of APs. Amazing range and performance, look great too
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/

Yes I have been looking at the Ubiquiti routers and in particular the AP-AC but there's a big leap in price ! also I cant 100% figure out if the units will work standalone or do they need the pc/mac software controller always booted.

Jambo wrote: »
    Yes I have been looking at the Ubiquiti routers and in particular the AP-AC but there's a big leap in price ! also I cant 100% figure out if the units will work standalone or do they need the pc/mac software controller always booted.

Once configured you don't need the software. They're pricey, very pricey, but worth it IMO. I've fitted a good few of them (and Mikrotiks) in commercial environments and it's deffo what I'd go for myself, the range on them is crazy. I've not had any good experiences with Zyxel where Ubiquiti is the complete opposite, are known for reliability, used by ISPs for this reason.

Once configured you don't need the software. They're pricey, very pricey, but worth it IMO. I've fitted a good few of them (and Mikrotiks) in commercial environments and it's deffo what I'd go for myself, the range on them is crazy. I've not had any good experiences with Zyxel where Ubiquiti is the complete opposite, are known for reliability, used by ISPs for this reason.

Do you have any experience with the ER8 or ER8 Pro ? I would be tempted if I could make the mental leap in price difference however noise from active cooling may be a killer for me ( my comms cabinet just above my desk in my small home office)

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »
    Do you have any experience with the ER8 or ER8 Pro ? I would be tempted if I could make the mental leap in price difference however noise from active cooling may be a killer for me ( my comms cabinet just above my desk in my small home office)

Not used them but hear great things about them. I'm a bit of a fan of Mikrotik so I stick with that for routing

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Not to hijack the thread but would you know of any good/reasonable Irish/UK stockists - just need one AC AP for my home network upgrade

Rockin wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread but would you know of any good/reasonable Irish/UK stockists - just need one AC AP for my home network upgrade

Bought mine from Irishwireless - however one word of caution - whats in stock is not in stock at their location but at their resellers location ! (in my case this was in the Czech Republic and delivery took >1 week versus 1/2 days as you would expect from an Irish supplier)

Advertisement