Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armed Police in Ireland

Comments

• Doesn't look like anyone was apprehended in those pics. And if gannons were on the scene the prisoner was long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

foreign wrote: »
    Doesn't look like anyone was apprehended in those pics. And if gannons were on the scene the prisoner was long gone.

I imagine the implication is that the occupant of the car was discovered hiding in picture 2 following a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭EireGun

Armed Garda detectives, plainclothes, from Dublin City (North Central) in unmarked cars responding to a fatal shooting after a gunman went on a crime spree across north inner city Dublin
    ZjE2OWRlYWU1OGZlODkwMTQxNmMzODIwNWY2YzkxYmFD39kHQL8YcQFXTTWPx9lwaHR0cDovL2MyLnRoZWpvdXJuYWwuaWUvbWVkaWEvMjAxNC8xMC9zaG9vdGluZy1zY2VuZS05MDM1OTg4OC5qcGd8NjA1fHx8fHx8fHx8.jpg
    NIC.PNG
    scene004.jpg
    2014-10-28_iri_4246894_I4.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

EireGun wrote: »
    Armed Garda detectives, plainclothes, from Tallaght in unmarked cars responding to a fatal shooting after a gunman went on a crime spree across north inner city Dublin

I'm not doubting. Just a query. How would units from the South be attending the North Central and how do you know they're from Tallaght.

lighterman wrote: »
    I'm not doubting. Just a query. How would units from the South be attending the North Central and how do you know they're from Tallaght.

It was on the caption of one of the photographs, I'm not 100% it's entirely accurate, but I'm sure they had reason to state that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

I thought the uzi was withdrawn from service a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

voter1983 wrote: »

Not entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

bravestar wrote: »
    Not entirely.

Evidently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

voter1983 wrote: »

Maybe he found it under the seat, you never know what you find under the seats of a cop car.

2014-11-15_iri_4680991_I1.JPG
    Reserve garda Ciaran McGowan, who is the son of Acting Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan, has captured a top prize in an international law enforcement photo competition.

Ciaran (26) submitted a photo of a garda checkpoint targeting organised crime in Cork city, taken two years ago.

The image has now won third prize in Europol's competition, which this year attracted entries from talented photographers from across Europe and beyond.

Ciaran, whose father is Det Supt Jim McGowan, works full-time as a press photographer with the Collins agency.

Watched by his proud parents, he and 92 others graduated as reserve force officers at the Garda College in Templemore last December.

First prize was won by Austrian police officer Alfred Effenberger, for his photo of Alpine police training on a snowy mountainside, while runner -up was Italian police diver, Alessandro Grasso, for his shot from the School of Marshals in Rome. The three win a trip to the Netherlands, including a visit to Europol HQ.

- Tom Brady, Irish Independent

• Advertisement

Third prize how ? Sure he cut off yer mans head,

Zambia wrote: »
    Third prize how ? Sure he cut off yer mans head,

Probably from all the pull he has ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Haven't seen a thread like this that made me laugh since the legendary days of Fyrfytr.

Airport Swat Team? Give me a break.

And I can vouch for Larne. Horrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

2014-11-28_iri_4994267_I1.JPG
    Armed Gardai stop a stolen car at checkpoint in Leighlinbridge Co Carlow before it speeds off resulting in a short high speed pursuit. The two occupants were later arrested

Another picture of a stolen BMW 3 Series speeding off from an armed Garda Regional Support Unit (RSU) checkpoint in Co. Carlow, driver and passenger later arrested following a high-speed pursuit by the RSU and Traffic Corps. Driver was wanted by Gardaí in Louth for armed robbery.
    Armed%2BGarda%2BRSU%2Bcheckpoint.jpg

Two armed detectives attached to the Garda Special Detective Unit (SDU) - under the Garda Crime and Security Branch (CSB) - questioning protesters from a splinter militant republican group whose members are linked to crime and terrorism on both sides of the border. The group is monitored by Garda intelligence.
    Garda%2BSpecial%2BBranch%2C%2Btwo%2Barmed%2Bdetectives.jpg

Armed Garda Special Branch (SDU) detective carrying a semi concealed SIG Sauer P226 9×19mm Parabellum semiautomatic pistol, and TETRA-encrypted Motorola Solutions, Inc. / DIMETRA IP digital radio.
    SIG%2BSauer%2BP226%2B9mm.jpg

Armed Garda Special Branch (SDU) detective carrying a semi concealed SIG Sauer P226 9×19mm Parabellum semiautomatic pistol, and TETRA-encrypted Motorola Solutions, Inc. / DIMETRA IP digital radio.
    SIG%2BSauer%2BP226%2B9mm.jpg
    And a pair of classic 34inch waist I'll fitting dunnes jeans with no arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Zambia wrote:
    And a pair of classic 34inch waist I'll fitting dunnes jeans with no arse.

Probably shouldn't be divulging this but tender is up in 2016. rumour has it that they will be changing to st Michael's waist 35 boot leg with button fly.

the-regional-response-unit-from-limerick-was-also-called-in-as-a-precaution

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

USA
    article-2036099-0DD58F3900000578-998_634x405.jpg

Canada
    62389566-canadian-police.jpg

UK
    cops-main_1223012a.jpg

Germany
    ?m=02&d=20101119&t=2&i=252920846&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2010-11-19T162216Z_01_BTRE6AI0X2000_RTROPTP_0_GERMANY-SECURITY

France
    france-airport-security-2011-5-4-6-50-0.jpg

Italy
    italy-airport-security-2009-12-30-15-42-18.jpg

Spain
    article-2280619-17A913DF000005DC-962_634x398.jpg

Holland
    1000xz.jpg

That does it... never ever leaving Ireland again, ever! Even seeing the armed army out when cash was being delivered freaked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Graces7 wrote: »
    That does it... never ever leaving Ireland again, ever! Even seeing the armed army out when cash was being delivered freaked me out.

Don't worry ,the army aren't doing cash on transit duty any more...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

I'm never leaving my house again either, I was out today and saw loads of cars driving on the road. Do you know how many people die from cars every year? Freaked me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Athlone today

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

I watched this video on YouTube of armed Gardai in Ireland , and now I'm interested. I just have a few questions regarding armed Police here...

In Dublin Airport, are there any armed units (like RSU/ERU) that are stationed at the airport? I can't find much information on the web, but seeing that Dublin is one of the busiest airports in Europe it wouldn't make much sense if there wasn't a dedicated armed response there. What about the other airports? I understand there are GNIB Detectives (armed?) at our airports, but are there any US/UK-like armed Police patrolling overtly or covertly? What about any Defence Forces personnel at the airport? Another question about the airport (and others), does Ireland have any air marshals at all? I read before that the ARW/SDU/ERU are the only armed units capable of carrying out such tasks. But how common, if all, is it?

Just regarding the embassies, are the security officials at the US & British (and other) embassies in Dublin armed? And are there armed Gardai guarding the embassies outside? What about US Pre-Clearance at Dublin & Shannon, are their officers armed? I've heard before that they are, but apparently according to the law they are not!?

And lastly, I understand the RSU does not operate in the Dublin region. Why is this, and when will the capital city have it's own RSU units?

Forgive my ignorance. Thanks in advance.

No ERU/RSU in airports but possibly DDU but nothing else permanently there, garda patrol outside the gates of the embassies as far as I know there is us marines in the american embassy but dont know about uk, RSU is for outside the dublin area and ERU are inside the dublin area and occasionally are called down the country

Armed members of the Garda Special Detective Unit (SDU) and Emergency Response Unit (ERU) keep watch over The Burren, Co. Clare, as HRH Prince Charles visits.

PC16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There was an ERU vehicle (and presumably its usual occupants) at a GAA stadium in Galway recently. The event: Connacht Senior Football semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭musiclady904

As someone who worked in the airport for over two years I know we do have armed units but rarely are they called into action, after about 1995 every airport across Europe had armed units as far as im aware it was only after 9/11 security became more strict worldwide and people became aware of airport security

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There was an ERU vehicle (and presumably its usual occupants) at a GAA stadium in Galway recently. The event: Connacht Senior Football semi-final.

Could have been security for someone important eg president or someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ODEON123 wrote: »
    Could have been security for someone important eg president or someone...

Could have been Enda, especially if Mayo were playing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

I wouldnt want the Gardai in Ireland to be armed

I am living in Mexico and everywhere even outside supermarkets there are armed police and army patrolling the streets.

• Advertisement

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    I wouldnt want the Gardai in Ireland to be armed

I am living in Mexico and everywhere even outside supermarkets there are armed police and army patrolling the streets.

Yeah sorry about that I misread your post I thought you said you "would want" rather then "wouldnt want" hahaha sorry bout that :P

Advertisement