Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to cook with leftover wine?

• 14-04-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Had some wine drinkers over to visit and have some leftover wines, both reds and whites. A couple of cups each, probably not enough for e.g. a Coq au Vin.

What interesting things can I do with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

Freeze it and use when needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I freeze it and add a tablespoon or two to stews, chilli and pasta sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

As suggested you can throw it into stews and soups as stock.

I have a bottle with a tap on the bottom that I pour leftover wine into, a bottle for leftover beer too, to make vinegar out of.

You can try let a mother grow in the bottle itself over a few weeks, or speed things up by putting a drop of unpasteurised, undistilled vinegar (local cider vinegar is usually good for this) into the bottle, seal it up with cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter and some tape or elastic band and let it turn. Apart from the very high end cider and balsamic products, it's hard to beat homemade vinegar.

Once the mother is up and going, pour out and pasteurise a bottles worth, then you can play around with what you're feeding it - Strictly red wine, malty stouts or soft fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Use the white wine in risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The white can be used for a mustard cream sauce, either can be used to deglaze for mushrooms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Leftover wine???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,299 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Leftover wine???

I know! crazy, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Red wine and chocolate cake - good old German recipe :D

This as close a recipe as I could find in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Freeze it in ice cube bags and then use as need for stew,casseroles, gravy etc

Advertisement