Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easy Peasy Recipies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Just found this forum which makes me very happy as I love food and cook a lot. Expect some Japanese/Asian recipes to start appearing soon. Would like to pass on one tip for making traditional pizza that I got strait from the horses mouth in Italy and it does make a big difference to the taste.

The Italian secret to good Pizza is to used tepid water, not hot or cold, to which you stir in one very large spoon of pure Virgin Olive Oil. Mix the flour and water together slowly and add yeast, roughly 7 grams of bread yeast for every 600 grams of sifted-flour. Pound out the dough and place into a bowl and cover with cling-film. Leave in a warm place for about 1 hours. I leave mine on the back of the TV. When you come back, you will have twice the amount of Pizza dough than when you started. The oil give the dough a great texture, keeps it from turning dry, and also helps the the pizza to cook more quickly and evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Very easy and the seeds are a good source of potassium, calcium and vitamins B and E, zinc to boost the immune system.

4 boneless chicken fillets (approx 600g)
    2 tbsp sesame seeds
    2 tbsp golden linseeds
    3oz/75gms fresh breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp ready-grated Parmesan cheese
    2 medium eggs
    2-3 tbsp sunflower oil

Rinse and pat dry chicken fillets and cut into long thin strips.
    Mix together the seeds, breadcrumbs and cheese on a plate.
    Put the eggs in a bowl, beat.
    Dip the chicken strips into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
    Heat a little of the oil in a non-stick pan and add as many chicken pieces as will fit in a single layer and fry for 6 - 7 minutes (depending on size) turning once or twice until golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm, repeat for remainder of dippers.

They may be finished in the oven but reduce frying time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

deisemum wrote:
    Rinse and pat dry chicken fillets

This is no dig at you deisemum, & I am open to correction here...

The rinsing & drying of poultry products is frowned upon these days by "the food safety police" on the grounds that the splashes of water only spread bacteria further around your kitchen surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

This one can take abit of time (deboning the fish).

Remove bones from fish.
    Chop very finely and add a pinch of salt ( or blitz for a few seconds).
    Add sesame oil and cornflour (doesn't really matter how much, just not too much)
    Then get the mixture, and throw it onto a table a few times (tenderizes the fish)
    Add some chopped spring onion.
    Make into balls.
    Then steam for a few minutes. ( you can also deep fry if you want)

You can also chop up some prawns into chunks and stick a chunk onto the top of each ball. (doesn't work if deep frying).

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

ok simple:

50g choc per person (best use dark choc)
    1 egg per person

Melt choc over a bamberine (sp)
    separate eggs and whisk whites until peaked
    when choc is melted add egg yolks and softly fold into the egg whites
    leave in the fridge for 1 hrs +

Yummmmyyy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Melt choc over a bamberine (sp)

Don't take this wrong, but it's a bain marie, or marys bath? Don't ask me why, but seeing how you knew your spelling was wrong I thought I'd fill you in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a bain-marie (no s's). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Alun wrote:
    It's a bain-marie (no s's). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie.

What was that ?
    >.>
    <.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

i sayz it likes i see it!! god, just try the mousse, its good. Put it in a water bath if you must but you know what i mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 InColorado

Easy and Delicious Pasta

Coat bottom of fry pan with Olive Oil.
    Saute till almost crisp, small cut up pieces of Bacon (about two strips).
    Saute till soft, red Onion slices.
    When Bacon is Crisp, add a small handful of chopped up Ham Pieces or Sausage.
    Add two Cloves of Garlic chopped saute briefly (i minute or so).
    Add more Olive Oil if necessary to cover and coat.
    Add Pasta, two servings portion, cooked al dente.
    Stir and cover ingredients thoroughly.
    Add a small jar of Bertoli's Fettucine Sauce.
    Add chopped Parsley, grated pepper, and seasonings to taste.
    So delicious....

If you make extra or have leftovers, it makes a great pasta pie leftover.

My first recipe to you ;) from Colorado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Watched Ready Steady cook one day and caught this recipe, I had always microwaved scrambled eggs but holy moly i havn't looked back since, so rich and creamy....but I digress..

Ingred. For one, 10-15mins prep incl.

2 eggs
    Milk,
    butter,
    salt & pepper
    Extras of choice

Beat two eggs,
    add pepper and salt to taste,
    a dash of milk, about a third of a cup,
    and you can chop up some tomato, chorizo sausage, peppers or whatever into the mix.
    Melt a little butter in a pan and add mixture. Keep on a lowish heat to start and continue to stir until it starts to harden.
    Dont let it dry out too much, take out when the egg is still slightly mushy coz the heat of the eggs means they will continue to cook themselves.
    Add toast or watever and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

Not sure if anyone watches something for the weekend, but simon rimmer the resident chef had a quick and apparently delicious quick lasagne.

Make your usual bolognese type sauce. Put a layer of lasagne sheets in a greased oven dish. Put a third of your bolognese on top then instead of bechemal sauce he put cottage cheese, layer of lasagne, bolognese, cottage cheese until its all used up. top with grated cheddar or cheese of your choice and finish it in the oven for 45 mins to 1 hour.

Have put the link for the complete recipe at the bottom of this mail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/simonrimmerslasagne_85084.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

4 potatoe
    2 carrot
    half parsnip
    2 sticks celery
    1 onion

put on pot of water to boil, add veg stock and basil and bayleaf.
    then potatos, after 5 mins or so the rest of veg, liquidize when cooked

use natural yoghurt instead of cream if desired!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

blackened chicken fajitas:

2 chicken fillets
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp thyme
    butter(enough to cover two fillets)
    fajita stuff

mix herbs/spices
    melt butter
    dip chicken in butter then spice mix

heat a pan really really hot, cook chicken on each side for one minute only
    then place in oven on dish at 190 for 10 mins

serve with tortillas/salsa/sour cream/cheese

also good is to cook an onion and pepper in the left over of the spices

I have almost perfected this, if i make it better i will post, as it is its great, watch out for the smoke, open a window. if this is liked i will post more. bit of an amateur at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Ingredients:
    1 Cuisine de France roll
    Some garlic butter / spread
    Tomato puree
    Mozzeralla / chedder cheese
    Sweetcorn
    Strips of bacon / ham

1) Cut your roll in half. Butter lightly with garlic butter. Place under grill for less than a minute to let it melt in, then spread tomato puree over the garlic spread.

2) Sprinkle some mozzerala cheese or chedder if you prefer, add some strips of ham ( or for that bit more taste, quickly grill some bacon pieces instead), throw some sweetcorn over the ham and another sprinkle of cheese.

3) Place under grill until cheese is melted.

eh voila, a tasty snack or can be a side with some chips etc.

These can also be made in bulk and re-heated in the microwave later - great for parties! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Yum yum yum-

8x stalks celery chopped
    2x Onions loosely chopped
    6x cloves garlic finely chopped
    100gm curley parsely finely chopped
    1bottle white wine
    1ltr fresh cream
    Butter
    Good sea salt
    Pepper
    60x mussels

Take one large pot and 3/4 fill with water. Throw in 4 stalks celery diced. Add in 2 onions lossely chopped. Bring to boil and add in mussels and cook to about 2 mins after opening. Remove mussels and cool.

Take another large pot. Add in enough butter to cover the bottom of pot and add in 2 onions and cook until until soft. *Add 2ltrs of the water you cooked the mussels in. Add in garlic, parsely and remainder of celery. Reduce to half. Add in wine. Reduce to half. Add in cream and reduce to half. Add salt and pepper to taste. I prefer shít loads of pepper.

Add mussels, heat and serve with white crusty bread with lashings of butter. serves four.

K-

*Or you could use a fish stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

get some ham from a packet (dunnes stores have some real cheap stuff at the moment), then some bread again dunnes are great for a real cheap loaf!
    then muster up some butter (or any kind of yellowy spreadable substance again dunnes have a huge varity) .apply the yellowy substance to the wet in date for one day bread and place 5 of the very wet slices of ham(imported from somewhere in belarussia). when finished this procedure apply a pinch or 4 of 6/5 year old salt and alakabam . a sandwich ala ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

get some ham from a packet (dunnes stores have some real cheap stuff at the moment), then some bread again dunnes are great for a real cheap loaf!
    then muster up some butter (or any kind of yellowy spreadable substance again dunnes have a huge varity) .apply the yellowy substance to the wet in date for one day bread and place 5 of the very wet slices of ham(imported from somewhere in belarussia). when finished this procedure apply a pinch or 4 of 6/5 year old salt and alakabam . a sandwich ala ham

What?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Duck & Pineapple
    1 Duck; 4 to 5 pounds
    4 tablespoon Soy sauce
    2 tablespoon Sherry
    ½ teaspoon Sugar
    ½ teaspoon Salt
    1 Scallion stalk
    1 Clove garlic
    1 Or
    2 slice Fresh ginger root (up to)
    6 tablespoon Oil
    ½ cup Pineapple juice
    2 ½ cup Water
    4 slice Canned pineapple
    1 tablespoon Cornstarch
    3 tablespoon Water

1. Wipe duck inside and out with a damp cloth. Combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar and salt; rub mixture over duck inside and out. 2. Cut scallion stalk in 1/2-inch sections. Crush garlic. Mince ginger root. 3. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Stir-fry scallion, garlic and ginger to soften slightly. Add duck and brown quickly on all sides. 4. Drain canned pineapple. Reserve juice and combine with water, then pour over duck. Top bird with pineapple slices. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until done (about 1-1/2 hours). 5. Transfer duck to a serving platter, leaving liquids in pan. Cut each pineapple slice in four and arrange all decoratively on duck. 6. Reheat duck liquids. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and remaining cold water to a paste, then stir in to thicken duck liquids. Pour over duck and serve.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ingredients:
    2 x Pitta Bread
    1/2 tbsp tomato purée
    2 tsp olive oil
    Pinch of mixed herbs
    Black pepper
    Cheese (I used cheddar)

Toppings:
    Whatever you like. I used salami.

Method:
    1. Mix the olive oil and tomato purée well. (I don't like too much purée, and I don't like it too strong - hence the oil. However, if you like more, or like it stronger, you can adjust here.) Spread the mixture on the pitta bread.

2. Sprinkle with mixed herbs and a squeeze or two of black pepper.

3. Grate cheese on top, and add your toppings.

4. Place in oven (Conventional: 220'C, 425'F, Fan: 200'C, Gas: 7) for approx 7-8 mins or until crispy around the edges.

Let me know if there are any tips to make this better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Ingredients:
    2 x Pitta Bread
    1/2 tbsp tomato purée
    2 tsp olive oil
    Pinch of mixed herbs
    Black pepper
    Cheese (I used cheddar)

Toppings:
    Whatever you like. I used salami.

Method:
    1. Mix the olive oil and tomato purée well. (I don't like too much purée, and I don't like it too strong - hence the oil. However, if you like more, or like it stronger, you can adjust here.) Spread the mixture on the pitta bread.

2. Sprinkle with mixed herbs and a squeeze or two of black pepper.

3. Grate cheese on top, and add your toppings.

4. Place in oven (Conventional: 220'C, 425'F, Fan: 200'C, Gas: 7) for approx 7-8 mins or until crispy around the edges.

Let me know if there are any tips to make this better!

These are great, sometimes if I don't have pitta bread I use naan bread or better again flavour naan bread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Chicken with white wine sauce

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts
    Mushrooms
    3/4 glass of Dry White wine
    Half pint of cream

Bat out chicken breasts to about an inch thickness
    Season with peppar
    Marinade with flour
    Pan fry on medium heat in half a cup of olive oil
    Add thinly sliced mushroom just before the chicken is cooked
    Add 3/4 glass of wine and crank up the heat
    Add Cream and wait for sauce to reduce

Serve

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

far2gud wrote:
    Bat out chicken breasts to about an inch thickness
    Do you mean a ½ inch? It's hard to get a chicken breast these days that you be 1 inch thick to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

what does marinating in flour do for the chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

what does marinating in flour do for the chicken?
    I think 'coat' would have been a more accurate description.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

great recipies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Ing:

Pasta
    John West Tinned Salmon
    Green Pesto (Roma)

Cook some pasta( enough for two)

Then drain it off and add in the salmon. Mix it all round... then add in the pesto

about 3-4 heap desert spoons... and mix it all round

Serve and eat

Delish!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Ingredients

100g Penne
    Good glug of extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 small red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
    8 - 10 prawns
    1 tomatoes, diced
    Handfull of chopped chives or basil. Which ever u like

Cooking
    Cook pasta in loadsa boiling, salted water for about 6 minutes until tender. Drain and return to pan. Keep warm.
    Put olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When warm, add garlic and chilli, and cook for 2 minutes , do not brown the garlic as it will become bitter.
    Add prawns and tomato, and toss well to coat prawns with oil. Cook for 1 minute to warm through. Pour sauce over pasta, add chives / basil and toss well.

Top Class Stuff

I put a bit of mozarella over it grated and pop it under the grill for a few secs. Pure Devine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Posted a Reply instead of New Thread. Shame on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Ingredients

100g Penne
    Good glug of extra virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 small red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
    8 - 10 prawns
    1 tomatoes, diced
    Handfull of chopped chives or basil. Which ever u like

Cooking
    Cook pasta in loadsa boiling, salted water for about 6 minutes until tender. Drain and return to pan. Keep warm.
    Put olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When warm, add garlic and chilli, and cook for 2 minutes , do not brown the garlic as it will become bitter.
    Add prawns and tomato, and toss well to coat prawns with oil. Cook for 1 minute to warm through. Pour sauce over pasta, add chives / basil and toss well.

Top Class Stuff

I put a bit of mozarella over it grated and pop it under the grill for a few secs. Pure Devine!!!

I made something similar to this last week but added a small bit of low fat cream in with the tin of tomato's and blitzed it with a handblender, once blitzed i added in a couple of handfuls of fresh basil and it was delicious. Easy peasy. A must try for prawn-lovers!

Advertisement