Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incorrect item sent, seller liable for return post?

• 01-11-2012 3:31pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi folks,

I send this question to the CAI last week and never received a response unsuprisingly :rolleyes: . I purchased an item from an Irish retailer and it was the wrong part to the one that I ordered (sellers mistake). The sellers couriers don't do RMAs so I must send it back to the seller at my own expense.
    Should the seller legally also have to pay me the registered postage costs due to sending me an incorrect item? This is not a case of change of mind, due to lack of contact from the seller I sourced the item elsewhere, which was correct so I want to receive a refund. Legally where do I stand?

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Legally speaking I don't have a clue however if I was in your shoes I would expect seller to refund me .

They made a mistake not you .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The mistake was on the seller's part, not yours. Therefore I would expect them to cover the cost of returning the goods.

This may take the form of you paying to return the goods, but later being refunded by the supplier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

As I thought folks, cheers :) . I'll post it back tomorow then scan and send the receipt to the seller requesting this payment as well.

Thanks

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

yoyo wrote: »
    As I thought folks, cheers :) . I'll post it back tomorow then scan and send the receipt to the seller requesting this payment as well.

Thanks

Nick

I wouldn't.

E-mail them - they may have a procedure for RMAs. At the very least I'd hang on until I was sure they were refunding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn't.

E-mail them - they may have a procedure for RMAs. At the very least I'd hang on until I was sure they were refunding me.

Agreed - I'd get agreement from them first that they will cover the postage, ro arrange for its return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd be even more stubborn.

Send me my goods and come and get the ones you sent me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I send this question to the CAI last week and never received a response unsuprisingly :rolleyes: . I purchased an item from an Irish retailer and it was the wrong part to the one that I ordered (sellers mistake). The sellers couriers don't do RMAs so I must send it back to the seller at my own expense.
    Should the seller legally also have to pay me the registered postage costs due to sending me an incorrect item? This is not a case of change of mind, due to lack of contact from the seller I sourced the item elsewhere, which was correct so I want to receive a refund. Legally where do I stand?

Cheers,

Nick

Are you sure that the method you used to contact them is working? Seems strange that 2 different organisations aren't responding. Did you try calling the seller to arrange for collection/replacement?

Also why would a courier company do RMAs?:confused: The seller would have to arrange for them to collect it, you signed for it so they have done their job. The only way they could have returned it was if you rejected it at the door, but who opens the package at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Kailee Ugly Racketeering

MadsL wrote: »
    I'd be even more stubborn.

Send me my goods and come and get the ones you sent me.

This!

One step more - if you paid by credit card you are in a position to call the credit card company and ask them to reverse the charge. Tell them that the goods you ordered were not delivered and that you are happy to return the mistaken goods *at the sellers cost*.

Of course I would not do that until you've communicated with the seller.

You have all the cards here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Paid for it via paypal, yep contacted the company that sell laptop batteries I will not name I was informed they don't do RMAs and to send it back. I posted it back today (cost €7) so when I get the battery refund I will then push for the postage cost refund, if not I will take it further. It's certainly a company I wont be dealing with again! As the battery was not for me I ordered from another place (due to lack of contact from the company) so I am looking for a refund now, not a replacement! :) Their loss!
    I wouldn't.

Thats the thing, they don't according to their email! I actually couldn't believe they didn't take RMAs, they used Nightline after all...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't think you are entitled to a refund on the item.
    I know you say there was lack of communication but how long a period of time was this over. I think that would be a factor in whether or not you were entitled to a refund or replacment. It was you who decided you don't want the item.

Now don't get me wrong its terrible service and if I was in your shoes I'd want a refund but as I say not sure that you would be entitled. Someone else may be better able to shed light on it if you can say how long since ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

OP, did you purchase via ebay? If yes then according to their policy you must pay the cost of shipping the item back. I'm not sure if Paypal have the same policy though.

Advertisement