Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android for HP touchpad (WebOs)

Options
124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

my e-mail is fine, I use gmail and Hotmail on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

hmmm might do a reinstall later.

Anyone using nightly builds on this? Might start banging them every few days to see how things are progressing. My galaxy S2 is still my main Android anyway so I don't mind a few 'disruptions' on the pad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Does anyone else's email force close when they open the app? I've had this problem since the pre-alpha. I'm sure if I installed a third party app it would help, but I haven't gotten around to it yet

i had that happen with a few apps (I came CM7 3.5 to CM9 aplha 2)...

Once I uninstalled the app and re-installed it was fine

neacy69 wrote: »
    Does anyone else's email force close when they open the app? I've had this problem since the pre-alpha. I'm sure if I installed a third party app it would help, but I haven't gotten around to it yet

i had that happen with a few apps (I came CM7 3.5 to CM9 aplha 2)...

Once I uninstalled the app and re-installed it was fine

Any updates to CM9 alpha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Haven't used the touchpad too much lately but have a nightly build of CM9 from a few weeks back on it and it runs perfectly . Have you installed any nighlies?

• Advertisement

Haven't used the touchpad too much lately but have a nightly build of CM9 from a few weeks back on it and it runs perfectly . Have you installed any nighlies?
    I normally wait for a release ... The wifi dropping issue has been doing my head in lately... Apart from that it work well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

neacy69 wrote: »
    I normally wait for a release ... The wifi dropping issue has been doing my head in lately... Apart from that it work well

I wouldnt underestimate the nightlies, was having an awful lot of screen freezes etc on the alpha 2.0, upgraded to the latest nightly and it completely froze up all my gapps, after a gapp reinstall the t'pd is running very smoothly, no freezing, no wifi loss, all apps running well! Big improvements over the second alpha in terms of stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Davie89 wrote: »
    I wouldnt underestimate the nightlies, was having an awful lot of screen freezes etc on the alpha 2.0, upgraded to the latest nightly and it completely froze up all my gapps, after a gapp reinstall the t'pd is running very smoothly, no freezing, no wifi loss, all apps running well! Big improvements over the second alpha in terms of stability.

You you have a link handy for them nightlies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

You you have a link handy for them nightlies?

You can find them here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

opus wrote: »
    You can find them here...

Yup, these are the ones!! When ever i put one on it deletes my gapps may be worth keeping that in mind, just have the gapps zip on the sd card too and reinstall after you install the nightly. Im running one from about 2 weeks ago so cant speak for any builds after that

• Advertisement

Davie89 wrote: »
    Yup, these are the ones!! When ever i put one on it deletes my gapps may be worth keeping that in mind, just have the gapps zip on the sd card too and reinstall after you install the nightly. Im running one from about 2 weeks ago so cant speak for any builds after that

Strange I haven't seen that happen as don't have to reinstall anything after installing the nightly. I just wipe cache & dalvik cache, then install the zip file & all the apps (gapps included) are as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone still updating their Touchpads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Yup, on this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2026692

but it doesn't update as frequently as CM9. It is 4.1 however, which is awesome. It was a little unstable at first, but a full wipe fixed all the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Still pulled out for sitting room net access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Use it all the time, as does my 6 year old and 3 year old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yup, on this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2026692

but it doesn't update as frequently as CM9. It is 4.1 however, which is awesome. It was a little unstable at first, but a full wipe fixed all the problems.

I've just installed but I don't have a status bar nor the soft buttons which means no back button. I tried setting the paranoid tablet mode but to no avail

Anyone still updating their Touchpads?

use it most days....i really like the xbmc app for it

EDIT: to add I have a recent CM10 nightly which has the camera working for skype and all the music/wifi issues sorted

I've just installed but I don't have a status bar nor the soft buttons which means no back button. I tried setting the paranoid tablet mode but to no avail

It's in the settings somewhere. You might have to change things to "tablet mode" rather than phone which is the default. I don't understand why tbh. a 10" tab is not even close to a phone in terms of useability.

It did take me a bit to get the nav bar set up from what I remember. It is possible though. Consider doing a full wipe if you're having crashes or other problems and then flash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Why doesn't the camera work on the HP Touchpad with Android installed on it?

• Advertisement

leemaree wrote: »
    Why doesn't the camera work on the HP Touchpad with Android installed on it?

It's a driver issue. The ROM that I posted before has the camera working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's in the settings somewhere. You might have to change things to "tablet mode" rather than phone which is the default. I don't understand why tbh. a 10" tab is not even close to a phone in terms of useability.

It did take me a bit to get the nav bar set up from what I remember. It is possible though. Consider doing a full wipe if you're having crashes or other problems and then flash again.

I re-read the thread. It was in system settings. All working fine now and the touchpad is like it was natively designed for Android.

Finally the camera works and the audio is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Folks - Has anyone else experienced serious battery issues with CM9 Alpha ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

s8n wrote: »
    Folks - Has anyone else experienced serious battery issues with CM9 Alpha ?

I haven't updated in a while so not sure what I'm on but its definitely CM9 and battery can be pretty bad. I usually turn it off between usage to keep it alive.

I'm thinking of updating so if anyone knows of a ROM with good battery life please let us know :-)

I haven't updated in a while so not sure what I'm on but its definitely CM9 and battery can be pretty bad. I usually turn it off between usage to keep it alive.

I'm thinking of updating so if anyone knows of a ROM with good battery life please let us know :-)

These custom roms on the touchpad all have high standby battery usage compared to webOS and other android tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

These custom roms on the touchpad all have high standby battery usage compared to webOS and other android tablets.

Yup.

Installed CM10 last night though and battery had only dropped a few percentage points this morning after being left on overnight with wifi on. My last CM9 would have dropped a lot more. But that might be due to apps I had installed on it that I haven't yet reinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got this in the email today;
    webOS Cloud Services to end January 15, 2015
    Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:
    Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    Setup new devices
    Recover lost passwords
    What this means to you:
    The HP App Catalog will stop supporting new app purchases on November 1, 2014
    Updates may be posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
    You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
    You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015
    There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
    http://news.hpwebosnewsletters.com/cgi-bin13/DM/t/hBlrh0c6a5C0PwQ04W5N0EN

Timeline
    10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers
    11/1/14 New app purchases end
    11/10/14 App update submissions end
    1/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services
    To unsubscribe from further emails on this topic, please click here
    So... is CM10 for the Touchpad an offical port from the Cyanogenmod team, or is it an unoffical port from someone else?

the_syco wrote: »
    Got this in the email today;

So... is CM10 for the Touchpad an offical port from the Cyanogenmod team, or is it an unoffical port from someone else?

Unoffical I believe but why CM10? I've been using CM11 since it came out - this one to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

opus wrote: »
    Unoffical I believe but why CM10? I've been using CM11 since it came out - this one to be exact.
    For a stable enough build. It'll be installed onto it, and left alone, as the family (all non-techies) will be using it to watch movies, etc (currently only works with headphones, as it's running an app to boost the volume a bit).

• Advertisement
Advertisement