Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home bar drinks setup.

Options
  • 28-08-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on what's best to get for a home bar in regards to spirits.
    Will be making cocktails as well as single measure drinks so think a mix of quantity and quality.
    For the quantity (cocktails) would somewhere like aldi and lidl be good for the vodka,Rum,Whiskey and brandy and if so what would you recommend. (bearing in mind i am on a budget and the bar will be used for parties mainly as opposed to a casual drink.

As for the quality bottles which i plan to put on optics what would be best,(I would rather not spend much over 25 euro per 70cl)
    Captain morgan rum is what i am thinking and maybe midleton whiskey,Really not such about what vodka to get though.

All suggestions appreciated but please remember i am on a budget and would like to be all in for 150 euro or there abouts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Buying Midleton will put a big dent in your budget straight away.

I generally have the following at home & it may do you...
    Irish whiskey
    Scotch whisky
    Gin
    Vodka
    Dark rum
    Brandy
    Baileys
    Port
    Sherry
    Vermouth

Depending on what cocktails you like, it may be worth considering buying some bitters, lime cordial & bourbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Ok, thanks for reply..
    Wont be able to afford all that at the moment,any suggestions on where best to source the alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It depends on your taste really. Would you be happy buying cheap spirits in Aldi/Lidl or would you prefer to just get 3 or 4 bottles of better quality brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Wait til things are on special, don't buy them all straight up.

Right now Bacardi, Jameson and Jack Daniels are on special in Tesco for 22, 27 and 28 euro respectively. The Jack is still over priced IMO.

Don't use optics, get a couple of pour spouts and a measure, Optics look sh1t.

You'll always get a good vodka for quite little if you just wait a little. Go Russian Standard, Finlandia or Absolut, stay away from Smirnoff.

What particular cocktails are you looking to make? You can do a lot with just lemons, limes and sugar. Buying Bitters and Vermouth hugely opens your options though they can be expensive for what you are getting.

Start with the basics anyway as soon as they come on for a decent price. Gordons Gin is usually inexpensive avoid Cork Dry (the only time I'll ever tell people not to buy a Cork product :pac: ) Absolut, Jameson, Jack, Bacardi and Captain. That'll set you back 120 or so.

Then for when parties are to happen get your hands on Peach Schnapps and Cointreau along with fruit juices, lemons and limes, mint and Soda water. If your having a party though suggest to your guests that they bring anything except for Vodka.

With that set up, you can make mojito's, sex on the beach, cosmo's, sours. And a fcuk ton more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

And ice, ice, ice, ice, ice, ice.
    And an ice crusher, muddle, glassware...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

& Tequila

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    As for the quality bottles which i plan to put on optics
    Don't bother with optics, it's cheap and peasant like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

DLMA23 wrote: »
    & Tequila

On his budget I'd leave off tequila, good tequila ain't cheap and cheap tequila ain't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

It depends on your taste really. Would you be happy buying cheap spirits in Aldi/Lidl or would you prefer to just get 3 or 4 bottles of better quality brands?

Thanks for all the replies everyone,Yeah will be going the aldi/lidl route initially and pick up higher quality for straight shots over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everyone,Yeah will be going the aldi/lidl route initially and pick up higher quality for straight shots over the next few weeks.

You know what, as regular run of the mill whiskeys go.. Aldi's Clontarf whiskey is actually quite nice.

well worth picking up.
    Also, there is a €10 off voucher for aldi (when you spend €50), in todays sunday indo.
    So that might save you a few quid if you are stocking up on spirits there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement