Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

bpb101 wrote: »
    About 1% using linux

Thoughts?

Huge growth over January 2012 - a couple month ago it was ZERO! :rolleyes:

If steam goes ahead with linux based console the stats might change in very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Huge growth over January 2012 - a couple month ago it was ZERO! :rolleyes:

If steam goes ahead with linux based console the stats might change in very short time.

no, I would say there would be a specical os type ( even if running ubuntu that the survey would detect ie. Valve Console os and i dont know wheater their will be a survey form them.
    would be intresting to see

Not a bad start for the year of Linux gaming
    Steam console will be ready by the end of the year
    http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php?threads%2Flinux-based-steam-console-confirmed-for-this-year.1598%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Picked up Serious Sam a few days ago. Co-op is a blast (pardon the pun), especially with the kamikaze onslaught in the first level! I'm tempted to pick up Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery EP too at some stage, looks v interesting.

Has anybody found any bugs yet? Steam chat has been a bit buggy for me - occasional window focusing issues causing strange keyboard shortcut conflicts. Otherwise it seems fine so far :)

• Advertisement

Setun wrote: »
    Picked up Serious Sam a few days ago. Co-op is a blast (pardon the pun), especially with the kamikaze onslaught in the first level! I'm tempted to pick up Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery EP too at some stage, looks v interesting.

Has anybody found any bugs yet? Steam chat has been a bit buggy for me - occasional window focusing issues causing strange keyboard shortcut conflicts. Otherwise it seems fine so far :)
    A new person joins

Yea , when i get a message , it pops up in the bottom right but thats it ,no flashing window no chat window opens ( unless i click the message) i have to click "send message" to see the message

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

A new person joins

Yea , when i get a message , it pops up in the bottom right but thats it ,no flashing window no chat window opens ( unless i click the message) i have to click "send message" to see the message
    Well I've been a linux user for a while now, Steam is new for me though :) I'm hoping for some ports of classic Valve games, rather than go through the bother of running them on Wine. Have they released any news on Half Life / Portal etc? Or do you think they'll only support new games?

Setun wrote: »
    Well I've been a linux user for a while now, Steam is new for me though :) I'm hoping for some ports of classic Valve games, rather than go through the bother of running them on Wine. Have they released any news on Half Life / Portal etc? Or do you think they'll only support new games?
    The Only news i have on portal was that offical beta testers of the limited beta, including myeslf , were given portal 1 , however it does not work on linux , nor is there any betas of any description available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: December 2012

Here is how things looked like for December 2012 on Steam, in order of biggest to smallest share:

Windows 7: 70.47 percent
    Windows XP: 10.44 percent
    Windows vista: 6.96 percent
    Windows 8: 6.93 percent
    OS X: 3.72 percent
    Ubuntu: 0.8 percent

Breaking down the numbers even more, here is how each operating system version fared:

steam_december_2012.png

While it may not be immediately clear, Windows 8 was the only version of Microsoft’s desktop operating system to gain share, as gamers spent the holiday season ditching Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP for the latest and greatest. At the same time, many chose to go with OS X as well as Ubuntu.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/05/at-the-end-of-2012-steam-users-ditch-windows-7-vista-and-xp-for-windows-8-os-x-and-ubuntu/

Don't mind me if already posted.

While it may not be immediately clear, Windows 8 was the only version of Microsoft’s desktop operating system to gain share, as gamers spent the holiday season ditching Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP for the latest and greatest. At the same time, many chose to go with OS X as well as Ubuntu.

ive found it ussaly takes a month till people get pissed off and format windows 8 - next month i think this will be different. - imo

small jump in windows 7 32 bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

So... this is the device (with no indication of the software)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071
    Video game maker Valve has unveiled a modular PC designed to let users to play Steam games on their TV.

Looks pretty cool IMO :)

Cliste wrote: »
    So... this is the device (with no indication of the software)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071

Looks pretty cool IMO :)
    well , at least you got some news:)

i sent an email to steam support there after the Christmas, since this week is the first week back to work for most business i was patient. Today i got a very detailed response to my question. The good news is , there is a category support for Linux.

Here a screenshot of my message about l4d2 and steam support on the matter.
    235457.png

sorry about the delay in posting , 33 minutes out this time

Steam Client Beta Available
    There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select "Steam Beta Update", and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

- Fixed layout of installation wizard when installing multiple apps.
    - Fixed rare occurrence of prompting a user to accept the same Steam Subscriber Agreements multiple times.
    - Big Picture: Added support for notifying the user when logging into an account that has already logged in on another machine
    - Big Picture: Fixed bug where chat notifications might not be displayed when in game.
    - Big Picture: Fixed possibly displaying multiple countdown timers in the store
    - Big Picture: Fixed loading animations disappearing before loading was complete
    - Big Picture: Fixed crash when entering Big Picture mode while in a voice chat
    - Linux: add support for custom Steam library folders
    - Linux: fix bug w/notifications stealing focus
    - Linux: fix bug that caused text to be entered backwards in edit fields
    - Linux: fix overlay crash w/Amnesia: The Dark Descent Demo
    - Linux: fix overlay crash w/The Critter Chronicles
    - Linux: fix "Retrieve A Lost Account" wizard causing steam to minimize
    - Linux: fix Turkish characters showing up correctly in Steam updater window
    - Linux: remove game icons when removing a game
    - Linux: fix bug causing menus to close when a sub-menu closes
    - Linux: fix bug with usernames ending with '.'
    - Linux: fix bug w/Steam changing global mouse cursor theme

valve's gabe newell has CONFIRMED that linux will be installed on the steam box
    and will be extremely open. However, it wont be hard to put windows on to though.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3MDI

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Good chance now that I will buy one of these. Hell...I might even replace my HTPC with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I wouldn't be throwing out my HTPC just yet.

If this is to be good enough to play the newest games and have a half decent shelf life, then I can see these being on the pricey side.

Valve might be able to absord some of the price, much like Sony and Microsoft do with there consoles. The difference is, the MS and Sony consoles are completely closed hardware and can only run approved software.

If this is as open as they say it will be, and I see no reason to think otherwise, there is no way valve will be able to absorb anywhere near as much as the closed competitors hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'm not too sure what to think of it to be honest. I think I'll only really be able to understand what they're trying to do and maybe see their idea when it gets nearer to coming out because at the moment I can't really see what they are going for.

• Advertisement

d31b0y wrote: »
    I wouldn't be throwing out my HTPC just yet.

If this is to be good enough to play the newest games and have a half decent shelf life, then I can see these being on the pricey side.

Valve might be able to absord some of the price, much like Sony and Microsoft do with there consoles. The difference is, the MS and Sony consoles are completely closed hardware and can only run approved software.

If this is as open as they say it will be, and I see no reason to think otherwise, there is no way valve will be able to absorb anywhere near as much as the closed competitors hardware.
    As the second video showed , if it gets outdated, just put in a new chip. boom

Personally if i was getting one i would use it as more of a gaming pc - mass produced gaming pc - all games certified to run on it would be quite epic to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If they do it right, I can see it being capable of running their own specific tweaked OS for games, and also be capable of running a general OS (Linux or Windows) for general purpose use.

Maybe a dual boot situation ......

If they do it right, I can see it being capable of running their own specific tweaked OS for games, and also be capable of running a general OS (Linux or Windows) for general purpose use.

Maybe a dual boot situation ......
    putting windows on put up the price. I doubt MS will be so happy with the steam box so i cant presume that the licences will be dirt cheap.Therfore i cant help but to think that windows wont be on by default.

putting windows on put up the price. I doubt MS will be so happy with the steam box so i cant presume that the licences will be dirt cheap.Therfore i cant help but to think that windows wont be on by default.

I was not suggesting that the Steambox would be delivered with Windows on board ..... only that it would be capable of accommodating it along with the delivered OS, in a dual boot set up ..... one a game OS and the other for general usage.

I was not suggesting that the Steambox would be delivered with Windows on board ..... only that it would be capable of accommodating it along with the delivered OS, in a dual boot set up ..... one a game OS and the other for general usage.
    Best quess for the first steam box i would say will be a 128GB ssd. I doubt people would chose to put a second os on it... I could be wrong.

the one thing i always felt that steam lacked was a good web browser i wonder how this would be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

As the second video showed , if it gets outdated, just put in a new chip. boom

Fair enough the shelf life doesn't have to be quite as long as a regular console but you don't want to have to upgrade every couple of years either.

But yeah, certainly mass production (if it takes off) will help drive down the price too.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to succeed. I just don't know if I like it and I am unsure why that is.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Fair enough the shelf life doesn't have to be quite as long as a regular console but you don't want to have to upgrade every couple of years either.

But yeah, certainly mass production (if it takes off) will help drive down the price too.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to succeed. I just don't know if I like it and I am unsure why that is.
    if it does succesed and is running a real linux distro ( meaning not the java stuff with android) with .deb packes i would presume that it would be playable on a normal disto ( like ubuntu or mint) and as a result would sky rocket the amount of linux games. So much so that ' console only' developers for the steam box would have the games on the steam box ( and hence other linux's) but maybe not windows - possible driving windows gaming out of the market.

One thing thats is for sure. If linux is to be one "the platform for gaming" ever, Its starts with this.

when valve makes this , they will push for major publishers to make linux games. There are millions of people who only play call of duty on their xbox and ps3. Valve will Not let activision not support a steam box.

There only 1 problem - EA are stubbern f*** ,execuse my french. they wont put their games on steam , battlefield and medal of honor (among others) wont be there( at least till a good while from now)

Best quess for the first steam box i would say will be a 128GB ssd. I doubt people would chose to put a second os on it... I could be wrong.

If the possibility is there I have no doubt that *some* will.
    the one thing i always felt that steam lacked was a good web browser i wonder how this would be fixed.

There are plenty of open source web browsers which can be tweaked to suit their purposes ..... I cannot see how that could be a problem.

There are plenty of open source web browsers which can be tweaked to suit their purposes ..... I cannot see how that could be a problem.
    its the general loading of the web browers is my problem. AFAIK the one at the moment is chrome (chrome modified ) maybe built form chromium web browser project

• Advertisement

Advertisement