Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AOL unmetered access

• 24-07-2001 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

AOL Germany recently reduced the price for their unmetered 24/7 Internet access package to DM39 (about IR£15).

This appears to indicate that AOL is still interested in rolling out unmetered Internet access products, which could mean that the rumors on this forum might have some substance. I guess we'll see next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Urban,
    To my knowledge AOL are offering a satellite based service in the USA.
    Would you have any idea if they are thinking of bringing this service to Europe as well?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    AOL Germany recently reduced the price for their unmetered 24/7 Internet access package to DM39 (about IR£15).

This appears to indicate that AOL is still interested in rolling out unmetered Internet access products, which could mean that the rumors on this forum might have some substance. I guess we'll see next month.
    </font>

Just because:

a) AOL is offering flat-rate in germany, and
    b) we realy want flat-rate in Ireland

does not mean that AOL is going to offer flat-rate in Ireland.

Unfortunately.

I feel that we will see Broadband before we see Flat-Rate on a 56k, as weird as it may sound... !

I never said that just because AOL is offering unmetered Internet access in Germany for IR£15, they will offer it in Ireland. What I said is simply that this indicates that they are still interested in the European market, and as anybody here will be able to tell you, Ireland is part of Europe.

Again, I'll probably be the first person to tell you that it is highly unlikely that AOL will offer unmetered access in Ireland (not in the near future, anyway). That doesn't mean it isn't a possibility though.

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 24-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    I never said that just because AOL is offering unmetered Internet access in Germany for IR£15, they will offer it in Ireland.</font>

No, that's what was inferred by what you did write.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What I said is simply that this indicates that they are still interested in the European market,</font>

Sorry, I don't see where you "said" that, nor do I see any mention of Europe.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and as anybody here will be able to tell you, Ireland is part of Europe.</font>

No need for the attitude, there was nothing impolite about my message.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Again, I'll probably be the first person to tell you that it is highly unlikely that AOL will offer unmetered access in Ireland (not in the near future, anyway).</font>

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but that's what I inferred you were saying. Especially given the reference to "rumors on this forum" which I took to mean the rumours of couple weeks back that AOL was setting up here.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That doesn't mean it isn't a possibility though.</font>

I agree AOL *might* set up here *eventually* if a wholesale flat-rate programme is set up by eircom. AOL is one of the very few successful (profitable) consumer ISPs and it is precisely because they do not want to be just an access provider. They rely on flat-rate structures to keep people online to use the applications that they are really selling and to benefit from advertising and ecommerce. Most folks here I would guess are not interested in all that and simply want flat-rate generic Internet access. So there's a conflict right there between AOL's objectives and our own...:-)

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement