Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I wait?

Options
  • 23-07-2001 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me if I should get ISDN now? How far away is everything, I am currently living in Dublin and miss about on NTL a 10 minute walk frown.gif Any advice would be great nothing to pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

well isdn is pricey

i am in same boat but living in cork , however i liv within 2 k of my local exchange and am wondering is it worth the 99 punt installation if in case adsl is available in sept/oct/nov , as i will av to pay another 99 quid to remove it to get adsl???????????????

help

routine? expectations? competition? happiness? commitment? infatuation? virginity?
    respect? marriage? adultery? money? carnal knowledge? love?...
    ... blah, blah, blah

p.s i want dsl

I'm in cork too so we could either

1. Get ISDN and pay have to sell a body part every time a bill comes

2. Wait for ADSL (which will be available in Cork when exactly?? nobody knows). Theres bound to be arguments between eircom, odtr and irelandoffline over issues like price, capping etc so that could be (will be) put back. Course the other side of that is when all the debating is done between the powers that be there will most likely be a better adsl service out.

3. Wait for the Cork & Dublin quadrants of powernet to be opened and pray that where ure living gets a decent signal. Sure its not great, but its broadband anyway.

I dont know what I'm going to do. I think if powernet comes out before adsl I'll give that a shot cos knowing eircom we (corkonians) wont have a sniff of adsl for at least summer next year.

ISDN is antiquated technology. anyone will tell u that. u'll be paying about £35 a month rental plus pay-per-minute internet rates. Short story is u'll be broke after a few months frown.gif

On the other hand powernet is like.. £40 a month? (I think thats it, feel free to correct me). For that u've no phone charges and ure on 24/7. Sure you've a 3gb cap but to the best of my knowledge chorus arent watching the capping so u could exceed it. (dont quote me on that tho)

I could have gotten isdn installed a few months back but I'd rather wait and see whats in the pipeline. Sit on it for a few months and u wont be dissapointed (I hope).

I had ISDN installed as soon as I was kicked off SurfNoLimits and to be honest I cannot see any real advantage.

There is no delay in connecting.
    Pages are displayed almost immediately.
    Voice quality is excellent.

But downloading does not appear to be any faster.
    Fixed charges are high.
    Some ISP packages do not offer ISDN access.

My usage bill cost just under £18 (without the special offer mentioned below) for about 41 hours )... when I was using Esat I was connected more than 75 hours per week. I am now using UTV as my ISP. In general I am not too happy so my advice would be to hold on until you find out what is going to happen in relation to ADSL.

I assume that you know that for an additional £1.78 per month you can receive about 13 hours free connect time if you subscribe to Eircom's ISDN service.

Advertisement