Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last of Us

• 07-03-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

Sam Raimi Wants To Bring The Last Of Us To Cinemas

LastOfUsVGstill_large.jpg
    You may already know how much we thought of immersive, successful PlayStation title The Last Of Us. If you don’t, you might want to check out our must-read interviews with its creators as well as our review, then come back and imagine our joy/trepidation at the idea that Sam Raimi wants to develop it as a film.

It’s not really that surprising – after all, the game itself is intensely cinematic and well suited to adaptation. We’re just worried about Screen Gems, Raimi and his Ghost House Pictures keeping the quality up. They’ve made a crucially positive first step, though, hiring co-creator Neil Druckmann to write the script.

TBH none of this excites me. The Last of Us was exceptional as a video game experience. It doesn't need to be made into a movie.

The only thing that sparks any flicker of optimism in me is Druckmann's involvement in writing the movie script too.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems unnecessary, if you take the gameplay away it's already a better film than most Hollywood blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seems unnecessary, if you take the gameplay away it's already a better film than most Hollywood blockbusters.

Yeah but a huge swath of people will never get to pay to experience it simply because it is a video game. Why pass up the opportunity to make $$!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lots of people saying Ellen Page should play Ellie, ehhh, no, she's what 13 years too old and just awful in everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I loved the game but I fail to see how it would make a good adaptation. The premise and story, while extremely well executed, is totally unoriginal, borrowing heavily from films, tv and books - Children of Men, The Walking Dead, The Road, to name a few. Such games rarely (never?) make good film material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

krudler wrote: »
    Lots of people saying Ellen Page should play Ellie, ehhh, no, she's what 13 years too old and just awful in everything.

I think that is more of a joke based on Ellie's likeness to Page.

Elle Fanning might be a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I loved the game but I fail to see how it would make a good adaptation. The premise and story, while extremely well executed, is totally unoriginal, borrowing heavily from films, tv and books - Children of Men, The Walking Dead, The Road, to name a few. Such games rarely (never?) make good film material.

The setting and that is incidental imo, the real reason it resonates so much is Joel and Ellie's character arcs. The problem here isn't that it wouldn't make a good or original film, it very well could I think, but could it be done better than the game? Pretty gargantuan task imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Has there ever been a successful adaptation of a video game? Serious question.

ThirdMan wrote: »

as far as capturing the atmosphere of the source material Silent Hill was an ok attempt, the movie wasn't great but it had it's moments and it definitely felt like it was made with the best intentions, just lacked a decent script.

No. The main reason being the games that have been attempted either did not have a good story to begin with (Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Hitman etc.) or the productions were poorly scripted (Silent Hill, Prince of Persia).

The Last of Us should not encounter either problem but we will have to wait and see of course.

For that matter, has there ever been a successful video game based on a film? There's probably a few of them alright but nothing comes to mind.

For me, a film just cannot capture the essence of a game because, by default, it cannot allow the viewer to take an active role. No matter how engaging they are they always seem sterile compared to the source material. I never find them engaging. Of course any film should work on its own terms, but I can never allow myself to view them objectively. If it's based on a video game then it should do it justice. Simple as that.

On the other hand films never get under my skin like video games do. The Silent Hill games terrify me. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and those titles just really mess with my head. I've only ever felt that way about one film, which was Snowtown. But I'd watch that again no problem. I'll never replay those Silent Hill games.

• Advertisement

The best movie to game adapation ever imo is Escape From Butcher Bay, it was a brilliant side tale to Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick.

krudler wrote: »
    The best movie to game adapation ever imo is Escape From Butcher Bay, it was a brilliant side tale to Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick.

Jesus I totally forgot about that. It was fantastic. I love the Riddick character anyway so I was sold on it from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

For that matter, has there ever been a successful video game based on a film?

Goldeneye.

Goldeneye.

Yep, that another one.

Spider Man 2 was also very good. There's a few Star Wars titles as well that were very accomplished, although they're based in that universe rather than a specific film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »

This. Even if they make a great movie out of it, it'll be nowhere near as good as the epic, interactive movie that is the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

This will be a terrible movie if it happens. I also don't think TLOU has that good a story, tbh. It has an above-average story for a game, it pushes the plot forwards and keeps you engaged, but the story itself is just another generic zombie story affair

Don't get me wrong, it's a terrific game, probably the best of 2013, but that's because of the game mechanics coupled with a plot that drives you forward. Without the interactivity, it'll just be the same as World War Z - a heartless, generic movie adaptation that loses all the charm of the source material in the process

Daemos wrote: »
    This will be a terrible movie if it happens. I also don't think TLOU has that good a story, tbh. It has an above-average story for a game, it pushes the plot forwards and keeps you engaged, but the story itself is just another generic zombie story affair

Don't get me wrong, it's a terrific game, probably the best of 2013, but that's because of the game mechanics coupled with a plot that drives you forward. Without the interactivity, it'll just be the same as World War Z - a heartless, generic movie adaptation that loses all the charm of the source material in the process

Way off the mark imo, if WWZ had anywhere near the same strength in story telling as TLOU then it would have been a classic. Really don't see how anyone could call it heartless either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

For that matter, has there ever been a successful video game based on a film? There's probably a few of them alright but nothing comes to mind..

Ghostbusters on ps3 was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How many of these video games films ever come out? :P I don't think this will see the light of day.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    How many of these video games films ever come out? :P I don't think this will see the light of day.

Sony appear to be making a push to get some of their properties into cinemas recently, like Sly Cooper and Heavenly Sword. TBH TLOU is the one property they have, outside of Uncharted, that I think could get a wide audience if brought to cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The Answer

mdwexford wrote: »
    Ghostbusters on ps3 was very good.

Surprisingly very good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna put it out there, the Mortal Kombat film was great imo. It was close enough to the games (ie: had the same characters and story) and it stayed true enough to the games also. Then again, i'm a huge MK fan, so i could be biased! Also, Zero Signal!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The Answer

I'm gonna put it out there, the Mortal Kombat film was great imo. It was close enough to the games (ie: had the same characters and story) and it stayed true enough to the games also. Then again, i'm a huge MK fan, so i could be biased! Also, Zero Signal!

I enjoyed the first one, but the sequel was terrible.

Thinking about it now, I also enjoyed the Hitman film as well.

And that's not even Miike's first successful game adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

While the setup is nothing original: Post apocalyptic zombie/possessed/virus etc, the central point of the game was never actually about the setup. It was always about the central relationship between Ellie and Joel. Again, we may have seen all the elements in different films: The Road, 28 Days later etc. But it would be interesting to see all these elements together.

Give it a good cast and director. Change the dialogue only a little and you could have a great film. It may not bring anything new to those of us who have played (and loved) the game but it will hopefully open it up to a whole new audience and let movie-goers know that there's more to games than Dennis hopper in Super Mario Bros in the same way that comics are finally beginning to get the respect they deserve.

Just so long as they leave in the Giraffe scene.

And don't mention TLOU and WWZ in the same sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tim Riggins

loved the game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just so long as they leave in the Giraffe scene.

I think In a movie that scene wouldnt resonate as well as it does in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

Was a huge fan of the game. Not sure a movie would be a good idea though.

• Advertisement

Josh Brolin would be a great Joel

article-1316031-0B63F271000005DC-369_306x423.jpg

Advertisement