Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

That moment in the original (Rise) that had a few chuckles and then immediately silenced the whole cinema I was in (large gasps of air) was probably how people felt when Empire Strikes Back had its twist.

The music and the events that followed is spine chilling

I knew it was coming some time in the series, but I never thought it'd be so early or in the way it was portrayed.

My mind was "??????!!!!!!"

Sort of reminded me of
    Fight Club's turnabout

A rare exception to the rule "They'd don't make em like they used too"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamantium wrote: »
    That moment in the original (Rise) that had a few chuckles and then immediately silenced the whole cinema I was in (large gasps of air) was probably how people felt when Empire Strikes Back had its twist.

I knew it was coming some time in the series, but I never thought it'd be so early or in the way it was portrayed.

Sort of reminded me of
    Fight Club's turnabout

Same, the whole cinema reacted to it, was a fantastic moment in a pretty underrated blockbuster, am actually looking forward to the sequel more than most of the other summer films I hope they keep up the quality. I wasn't expecting much from Rise but was genuinely surprised as to how enjoyable it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I feel a bit dissapointed with the trailer. I assumed that the virus would render humans mute and dumb and that the sequel would focus on the returning astronauts coming home to find the earth ruled by apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,995 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OU812 wrote: »
    That's how the original book ends. If anything, the burton/whalberg version is the most true to the book.
    The original film series is one of my favourites (with minor exceptions) with 1 & 3 (Escape) being level in terms of "Oh Crap". The third one was very low budget & centres around Cornelius & Zire coming back to modern day (1970s) Los Angeles on board Taylor's spacecraft which they've rebuilt.

Zire gives birth to Ceaser before being killed (along with her husband), Ceaser is then smuggled away in a circus & grows up too lead the Ape revolution.

The whole series comes full circle with the third one & gives way for it to continue.

If it wasn't for the humans coming forward in time, the apes would never have evolved. Absolutely brilliant movie. You could actually skip the second one & just watch these two back to back.

It had the lowest budget & made the most money (also happened with Star Trek 5).

But in the Tim Burton movie the planet most of the movie is set on is not earth (two moons) - so MW returning to earth (and going back in time I think) to an earth now not only ruled by Apes but almost an exact replica of human earth, made no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

But in the Tim Burton movie the planet most of the movie is set on is not earth (two moons) - so MW returning to earth (and going back in time I think) to an earth now not only ruled by Apes but almost an exact replica of human earth, made no sense at all.

a sequel was planned but never happened

the only real explanation could be that Thade somehow goes back into Earth's history at some point and leads an ape revolution

the astronaut's pod and the remains of the station are still on the other planet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

We know pods arrive via the timewarp out of sequence - apparently Wahlberg's return trip arrived many years after the apes came to Earth and conquered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Adamantium wrote: »

Sort of reminded me of
    Fight Club's turnabout

Anyone wanna refresh my memory as to what this moment was? Drawing a total blank its been so long since I saw Rise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

kryogen wrote: »
    Anyone wanna refresh my memory as to what this moment was? Drawing a total blank its been so long since I saw Rise

Perhaps the scene where Caesar is being abused by the zoo-keeper kid & speaks for the first time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Second trailer for it,trailer's been out since january just didn't see it posted here yet
    *I'm a flipping idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

^That's fake; he just edited together stuff from the first movie, the trailer for the second and a smattering of Zero Dark Thirty for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

^That's fake; he just edited together stuff from the first movie, the trailer for the second and a smattering of Zero Dark Thirty for good measure.
    Well I'm clearly a dumbass

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Any obvious spoilers in it before I watch?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Looks substance packed, much like the last.

Can't wait for this. One of those reboots that was actually worth it and they're doing interesting stuff in its own right, and not handing us some modernised nostalgia with none of the depth

Great cast. we'll get see to see Jason Clarke do his post apocalyptic leader thing before
    Terminator: Genesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

Massive fan of 'Rise'. Probably got my hopes up a bit too much for it, but I wasn't disappointed! :)

Really looking forward to this. Really good trailer. Love what they're doing with this franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

hope the film is as good as the trailer

remind me how many apes did they give the brain juice too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Really looking forward to this.

Rise was one of the biggest surprises for me of the last 5 or 6 years in that I thoroughly enjoyed it as in general, big budget CGI heavy films do nothing for me.

@expectationlost, if I remember correctly it was only given to Caesar in Rise, the rest of the apes just followed his lead. I am of course open to correction to that, its 18 months or so since I last watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

@expectationlost, if I remember correctly it was only given to Caesar in Rise, the rest of the apes just followed his lead. I am of course open to correction to that, its 18 months or so since I last watched it.
    Caesar escaped and stole the "brain juice". He returned and gave it to the other apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can't wait for this.

And I don't like big budget remakes, but Rise was such a pleasant surprise, and Dawn looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is James Franco in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is James Franco in this?
    unbeknownst to him maybe but only in a some kind flashback or tv clip that he shot when doing the first movie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Saw the new trailer for this last night and it really has dampened my expectation for this. Gives too much away and is poles apart from the earlier trailer which was full of menace.

New poster

82589.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Cheesey as hell, but I love it. :o

Good lord, and an awful, awful version of the same poster, what's with the head?! your photoshop is bad and you should feel bad.

10330222_10152430450412708_4261683564344931713_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Isn't that gorilla in the posters dead?

Isn't that gorilla in the posters dead?

Maybe that's why its the orangutan on the UK poster? weird only spotted that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Small Q&A with Andy Serkis, where he talks about performance capture. There are one or two snippets of footage that I hadn't seen before, but I don't believe them spoilery.

krudler wrote: »
    Good lord, and an awful, awful version of the same poster, what's with the head?! your photoshop is bad and you should feel bad.

10330222_10152430450412708_4261683564344931713_n.jpg

Humans set up cult.....

Caesar and co are actually running from Jason Clarke's floating disembodied head ala the Simpsons where Homer was chased by that capture bubble, while trying to escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

New trailer

MASSIVE WARNING, DONT WATCH IF YOU ALREADY WANT TO SEE MOVIE

only watch if you are still on the fence, there is a scene shown in trailer that may convince a lot of people to see the film, but if you were already converted you'll be p*ssed seeing it in the trailer:

clearly it's based on the last planet of the apes movie in the original series (battle) so I already can guess a lot of plot points, though Rise was based somewhat on the third movie (conquest) and was still fresh and amazing addition to the franchise, this looks to continue the trend.

This is 1 of 2 movies this summer I really really need to be good, the other is How to Train your dragon 2 which had previews last weekend and was f*cking amazing, so there is a lot of pressure from me now for this to deliver.

Advertisement