Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watching Movies on the Wii

Options
  • 21-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

I am currently trying to convert movies on my harddrive onto my Wii via a SD card. The only SD card I have is the one on my digital camera (Kodak 4GB DC HC)

I converted my video files using Wii Video 9 to a format which should be compatible with the photo channel on the wii but when I want to put the converted file on my SD card, an caution message displays that the "this device can read image files only" and it cancels. Yet I have MOV video files which I recorded with the camera.

Has anyone experienced a problem like before. Do i need a different SD card or am I converting the files incorrectly despite the step by step instructions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

The Wii doesn't play videos unless you're in the relevant regions to download and use bbc iplayer, netflix, etc.

There is homebrew, which is probably what that program was trying to encode for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The photo channel should play back Motion JPEG AVI and MOV files formatted to 640x480, which would be typical a point-n-click camera from 2007 would capture. File size for a movie will be ridiculous though. Why do you want to watch them on the Wii?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Banjo wrote: »
    The photo channel should play back Motion JPEG AVI and MOV files formatted to 640x480, which would be typical a point-n-click camera from 2007 would capture. File size for a movie will be ridiculous though. Why do you want to watch them on the Wii?

Well the movies I am trying it on are in avi format. Updating firmware on the wii allows you to watch movies placed on your SD card. SD cards can hold up to 16 GB, my camera had a 4GB well capable of holding one movie at least once its converted on Wii Video.

My hurdle so far is getting them on the SD card which seems to be protected against files that arent images.

I prefer watching movies on my large old tv with friends rather hunching around a laptop and since the Wii is the only console I have its would be the cheapest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

AVI is a wrapper, the Motion JPEG bit is the important bit for playback (under Photo Channel - if you already have a 3rd party movie playback application, go with whatever codecs it supports)

I'm not familiar with Wii Video 9... but you should be able to transfer any file you like onto an SD card if you're just dragging and dropping on a PC. If the application is writing the file directly to the SD and giving you an error, can you just convert the file and save it locally, then use Windows Explorer to move the file over manually, and if so do you still get the pop-up error?

Is the SD card in a reader or in an attached device that uses it for storage, for example sitting in your camera attached via a USB cable ? The Camera's driver / software may not permit the use of it's mounted card as standard storage. If the camera has multiple connection modes, choose Mass Storage if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Banjo wrote: »
    AVI is a wrapper, the Motion JPEG bit is the important bit for playback (under Photo Channel - if you already have a 3rd party movie playback application, go with whatever codecs it supports)

I'm not familiar with Wii Video 9... but you should be able to transfer any file you like onto an SD card if you're just dragging and dropping on a PC. If the application is writing the file directly to the SD and giving you an error, can you just convert the file and save it locally, then use Windows Explorer to move the file over manually, and if so do you still get the pop-up error?

Is the SD card in a reader or in an attached device that uses it for storage, for example sitting in your camera attached via a USB cable ? The Camera's driver / software may not permit the use of it's mounted card as standard storage. If the camera has multiple connection modes, choose Mass Storage if available.

Yes the SD card is still in the camera connected via USB cable, that could be it alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement