Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Happened to me recently as well, I just think the memory on these isnt overly stable.

They need to commission a new firmware IMO!

What I do is save a copy of my configs to my laptop and just restore it back,

Helps retain wireless, port forwarding, triggering, dmz host etc

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

I'll keep track of this and use it as a reason to get a change of router/modem if it annoys me. Perhaps I can shake the old epc2203 out of them if I complain enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zewookie

Hey all,
    I'm also having a wonderfully fun time with my EPC 2425. I set a password 14months ago when I moved house and got a new router (didn't quite want it) as part of the package, and now, thanks to my wonderful memory....what it is. Leaving the fields blank doesn't work, even after a factory reset.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi Guys

Long story short. My sister had an old UPC router that didn't have wireless.
    Bought a second hand Cisco router that UPC give to customers (cisco epc2425)

Had to ring upc and they had to associate the new modem with the line for the internet to work. Which is sorted now.

However the phone isn't working - no lights on modem for the phone either.
    I tried the steps here:
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/316/~/phone-service-not-working

Still not working - does anyone have any troubleshooting tips to try before I ring UPC again, was on hold yesterday for 20minutes, if I can avoid that again, it would be great

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Read somewhere that if the UPC modem is in bridge mode for wireless then the phone won't work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hey dak

Thanks for the reply, its not in bridge mode - but i'll double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I've been trying to set up DMZ on my Xbox with the EPC2425 router, but whenever I add the static ip (which is outside the dhcp), it still wont connect.

Where do I find the subnet mask and gateway IP's for it? I tried the ones in the "Network Configuration" page but to no avail.

Thanks

if its all default it should be:

mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 raph151515

Hi,

I'm very thankful about one solution that resolved the browsing speed problem :
    In Advanced Settings ==> options, check UPnP Enable
    In Firewall ==> Options, uncheck IP Flood Detection and Firewall Protection

After that while using torrent, I was able to watch a 1080p video on youtube, before that, the page wouldn't even show up.

thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Double post .. See below

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have 2 iPhones and 1 laptop (xp) successfully connected to the Cisco wirelessly .

But the second Laptop running Vista won't go out on the Internet .

It sees the wireless network , prompts for key , connects , but only give a local access and says " unidentified network ".

I have deleted the wireless network numerous times but same result.
    It will connect but when wired .

So to re-cap ;
    I have 3 devices successfully connected wirelessly .
    1 device won't go out on Internet (laptop running vista)

Thanks in advance

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@ mixednuts. What make is the laptop that won't connect?

@ mixednuts. What make is the laptop that won't connect?

Toshiba

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Ah right, was just wondering if it was a Dell.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 2 iPhones and 1 laptop (xp) successfully connected to the Cisco wirelessly .

But the second Laptop running Vista won't go out on the Internet .

It sees the wireless network , prompts for key , connects , but only give a local access and says " unidentified network ".

I have deleted the wireless network numerous times but same result.
    It will connect but when wired .

So to re-cap ;
    I have 3 devices successfully connected wirelessly .
    1 device won't go out on Internet (laptop running vista)

Thanks in advance

M

Aaarrrggghhh can one of you bright sparks help me out with this (above).
    It's doing my nut in

Are you definitely connecting to thencorrect wireless network?

The ups wireless networks usually begin with upcxxxxxx

Also chichi thencheckbox that says connect to this network if ist not broadcasting:

Have a look here
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6960338_fix-unidentified-network-windows-vista.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's doing my nut in

Wireless driver up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

It's doing my nut in

connect with wireless

go to command prompt & type: ipconfig

...the wireless cards properties TCP/IP4 is set to obtain addresses automatically?

have your tried adding a new wireless net manually with the ssid of the router?

Also, is the laptop using any third-party software to run the wireless NIC?

as roast pointed out about the drivers,

I've had generic NIC drivers give me problems in the past with encryption and security faults as you describe.

I find the best way to locate the right driver is to go to control panel/device manager/wireless NIC properties/details tab/hardware ID's and Google the VID & PID's (Vendor and product ID's)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Ok.... got UPC last week and my WiFi on the 2425 knocks of every 20 or 30 minutes, for about 2 or 3 minutes. I'm assuming it's a congestion thing, as almost all the other WiFi modems in my area are on channel 6, so I was gonna try change to 11.

I did a google, and came to a thread on here that suggested passwords for getting into the advanced settings, but none of them work :( When the things asks for a password, it says something to the effect of "The modem says Cisco" so I tried that as password and/or username, but with no success.

Anybody know if their recent ones have different passwords or something, or will I have to ring UPC?

P.S. It doesn't cut out when wired, I have checked (:

No that's your dhcp lease expiration. Change it to 9999999999 and it wil set to -1 when you click apply.

It's probably set to 3600 at te moment (30 mins)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

No that's your dhcp lease expiration. Change it to 9999999999 and it wil set to -1 when you click apply.

It's probably set to 3600 at te moment (30 mins)

It was, changed it and will see how that goes. Thank you :)

Also figured out by accident how to get into the advanced settings, didn't need a password after all :o

Edit: Seems to have worked like a charm, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi guys.
    After having so much trouble with that damn UPC wireless router I rang up UPC and told them that I was unhappy with the device.
    They asked why and i proceeded to tell them about pretty much every complaint on here.
    I asked for it to be exchanged for their standard scientific Atlanta modem only.
    Got it yesterday and set up my wireless network with my old reliable linksys router.
    Everything is running perfect now with no problems. I'd advise anyone having issues to just ring up to complain and ask for an exchange of equipment to the modem only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sccats

When I access the wifi from my blackberry the wifi to my laptop stops working and doesnt not connect. To fix this I have to plug my laptop into the router and change the channel and then change it back to auto while ensuring that balckberry has removed wifi connection.

Can this be fixed within the cisco modem settings?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Had the same issue here with the UPC cisco router, tried a lot, nothing helped. In the end wifi was/is not working at all anymore, rang upc, the guy who came told me that they are trying to get me another router model. That was last week Thursday, no updates as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Just got UPC broadband installed. Their modem doesn't seem the greatest. I had used a really nice netgear DSL modem when I was on Eircom. Will any cable modem at all work on UPC, or do I need to use a specific one. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can add your own WiFI + switch+ Router (by two methods depending on type of modem).

You can't supply your own modem or else people would steal Broadband. Only UPC can enable the Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Im having the same problem but for different reason. For as long as i remember iv had the same IP with UPC. It changed this weekend but i have a device connected to it that wont configure to the new IP.

Get this though. When i connect my pc direct into the modem i have a completely different IP as i do when connected through the router. The particular device that i cannot use through the router will work wired direct to the modem. For whatever reason my newly assigned IP is causing conflict and i cannot see UPC doing me any favours.

There must be a way of releasing your IP. and getting a new one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You can request multiple public IP addresses from UPC by connecting the gateway to a switch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've only ever had two different IPs on my cable modem in over 5 years. (Not UPC though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The last 3 posts were moved into this thread from an old thread. This is the correct place for all UPC modem questions now.
    Im having the same problem but for different reason. For as long as i remember iv had the same IP with UPC. It changed this weekend but i have a device connected to it that wont configure to the new IP.

What's the device? If it was connected through the router, then the change in external IP address shouldn't effect it, unless of course it's operating some sort of server service, and it is linked to the old external IP.
    Get this though. When i connect my pc direct into the modem i have a completely different IP as i do when connected through the router.

Of course, the router applies a local IP address, but the modem gives you the public address. These will naturally be different.
    The particular device that i cannot use through the router will work wired direct to the modem. For whatever reason my newly assigned IP is causing conflict and i cannot see UPC doing me any favours.

What is the conflict? Is the device configured for a particular public IP, and that has changed now? The change in public IP at the modem should not make any difference to the devices connected through the router.
    There must be a way of releasing your IP. and getting a new one.

There isn't really. Switching off the modem for a long time might get you a new IP, but I've seen reports from people that left their modem off for over 24 hours and still got the same IP. Luck of the draw really.

Advertisement