Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

• 03-11-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

2010 marathon course
    Race website
    Last years thread including poll results

I heard tonight that entries for the full marathon are on 'special offer' until Nov 25th: €30. There's nothing on the Marathon website, and there's no entry details up, paper or online, but I'll find out. on Friday, what the story is and post an update.

Also.....Expect something 'extra' in forthcoming news.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 47 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    61%
    tHE vAGGABONDDCCabaalopusfoxtail2 Wheels GoodmenoscemoMarkBBally8RICHIE-RICHOisin11178greenplaineliwallachMick RicebabalobioddyTFBubendorferZuppydonglenSnappyDresserAimman 29 votes
    3 stars (average)
    36%
    sixpack's little hatromRacoonQueenfitzie79Woddlemr.wigglesideswipechinguettiultraman1cphowlinkandikanepodgemonstercorkedMr Slowelnino23PaulieYifterrich1982 17 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    2%
    pajo61 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    That is a good idea. early bird entry at a very reduced rate. Fair play to them.

On the extra thing, spotted something on cork running blog about the same.

My guess:
    An official half marathon distance event being run at the same time (and possibly a 10k) making a running festival type of a weekend.
    However I am at a loss on how they will tie in the half over the same route as the full. if they use the same course, then the start would be the walkway, possibly the narrowist part of the course, and logistically a bit of a nightmare for peopel to get to.

Am I close?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

I'm saying 'notting'.......

There was discussion, for the 2010 event, about having a 'half & half' in the relay. As you say, that meant starting on the walkway, BEFORE the footbridge - even narrower! Anyway the walkway was 'knocked on the head' as a relay changeover point because of the danger of someone falling into the water (or mud if the tide is out) while they were 'arsing about', as you would, waiting for their relay mate to turn up, along with the other issues.

So.......IF a Half was being introduced, it wouldn't start there.

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »

So.......IF a Half was being introduced, it wouldn't start there.

Ahh right.

A slight alteration to the route, and a half could start at the blackrock carpark of thewalkway. It would be big enough to handle a half starting pen, and could easily accomodate a half relay chage over point.
    One of the major flaws with the Cork marathon was that a relay team with two members had different "halves" to do - 12 and 14, or 15 and 11.

It would definitely attract more runners with an official half and half relay option, and an independent half marathon option.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    30 euro for a marathon would be unreal value, if it turned out to be true, lets hope it is and I could start training early :-)

A slight alteration to the route, and a half could start at the blackrock carpark of thewalkway.

Sorry to pour water on your parade! There is no route change whatsoever envisaged for the 2011 Marathon!

...............you'll just have to be patient!

Meantime...I've left a phone message asking for the CCM gurus to get back to me about the 'early bird', if true, and details of how to avail of it.

• Advertisement

There is an 'early bird' €30 Marathon entry available but there's a catch....it's for the unwaged, who get a 50% reduction.

The entry for everyone else is €60, until Nov 25th, when online entry opens for the Marathon. I understand that the form will be available for download from tomorrow - it was available at the DCM Expo recently.

After Nov 25th, you can enter online, at €60 plus a online processing fee, or still pay the €60 for paper entry. Sometime later, the entry fee will 'ramp up', but the 50% reduction for unwaged Marathon runners will still hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Well done CCM for that gesture, showing empathy in these hard times. It's difficult to justify forking out the full entry fee if you're out of work.

That facility was there last year too, but they are going to promote it more this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I notice on the entry form for 2011 now posted on the website that they mention the possibility of deferring entry to 2012 on production of a valid medical certificate. As far as I know, that was not offered in previous years. Seems like a win-win for going for early entry - if you end up injured, you can then defer!

My guess:
    An official half marathon distance event being run at the same time (and possibly a 10k) making a running festival type of a weekend.

Am I close?????
    You weren't too far wrong. The 2011 Marathon was launched today and will incorporate an official chip timed half-marathon. While it is mostly over the same course as the second half of Marathon, there are deviations - I'll outline them tomorrow.

The other big change is that the 2011 event will be AIMS approved, so will be a Boston Qualifier, or will be acceptable for Olympic qualifying times, if you're in that league.

One BIG change is that the marathon will now start at 8:30, with the relay later (prob 9:15) and the half at 10:30. The idea behind that is to ensure that the Marathon winner crosses the line first - the relay winners have been first for the past 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    That half sounds like a good idea. Have to say the 8.30 start for the marathon is a good idea if they get good weather.

When will the half course be revealed? I'm guessing that it will start away from the full course and join it at say mile 15 on or so? However i just remembered that awful long straight road and started having flashbacks:eek:

4 stars (good)
    You weren't too far wrong. The 2011 Marathon was launched today and will incorporate an official chip timed half-marathon. While it is mostly over the same course as the second half of Marathon, there are deviations - I'll outline them tomorrow.

One BIG change is that the marathon will now start at 8:30, with the relay later (prob 9:15) and the half at 10:30. The idea behind that is to ensure that the Marathon winner crosses the line first - the relay winners have been first for the past 3 years.

Yay - got it almost right. A natural progression, and a good move for the continuing success of the marathon.

Good idea also regarding the marathon starting earlier than the relays. It must be tough for the marathon leader to have people pass him and cross the line ahead of him with fresher legs.

One gripe - I checked the CCM webpage, and nothing. I do wish they could get the web site sorted and be more up to date with the news. They announced it yesterday, and the latest news is from June ! How hard is it to publish the press release etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

One gripe - I checked the CCM webpage, and nothing. I do wish they could get the web site sorted and be more up to date with the news. They announced it yesterday, and the latest news is from June ! How hard is it to publish the press release etc?

The update is there now. They had problems with the update last night and the person responsible decided not to travel late in the cold weather and so the update was postponed till today.

chinguetti wrote: »
    When will the half course be revealed? I'm guessing that it will start away from the full course and join it at say mile 15 on or so?
    You're nearly there. The start of the half will be close to the 2nd relay changeover point, but NOT on the Marathon route - just off it, and will continue on directly up the Marina, similar to the 2007 -2009 route, and will rejoin the Marathon route where it comes off the old railway cutting. The Marathon route is the same as in 2010.

The relay changeover point is moving slightly to ensure that there is no congestion. This will make the 2nd leg about 1/3rd mile shorter - closer to 5 miles - and the 3rd leg 1/3rd mile longer - closer to 7 miles.
    chinguetti wrote: »
    However i just remembered that awful long straight road and started having flashbacks:eek:
    Don't forget that the Straight Road section was cut to just over 1.25 miles in 2010 - it was previously nearly 3 miles.

Don't forget that the Straight Road section was cut to just over 1.25 miles in 2010 - it was previously nearly 3 miles.

Even so it's a death march - that turn onto the footbridge is extremely welcome.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was just chatting to a few people last weekend about this - but would anyone be interested in getting some teams from here for the relay? I know it's a bit early to be asking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I'd be up for a relay run around Cork again next year.

Couple of things for me though is that I'll not be putting myself forward to organise a team this time round now being an exile, and if we are entering a team as Boards AC then we'll have to check with the Boards AC powers about my eligibility.

Was just chatting to a few people last weekend about this - but would anyone be interested in getting some teams from here for the relay? I know it's a bit early to be asking!
    Possibly - though like Robin not a Boards AC member and an exile. Maybe an exiles team* :)

* as long as being fast isn't a requirement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Could be tempted, very unlikely to run the full again... Can I count as an exile too seeing as I spend 4 days a week in the land of our financial overlords?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)

Team RQ will be out in force in 2011. Team RQ have a PB to beat, however the team captain has to work the next day next year and will have to return to Dublin that evening. :(

robinph wrote: »
    I think I'd be up for a relay run around Cork again next year.

Couple of things for me though is that I'll not be putting myself forward to organise a team this time round now being an exile, and if we are entering a team as Boards AC then we'll have to check with the Boards AC powers about my eligibility.

Not all team members were Boards AC'ers were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)

Not all team members were Boards AC'ers were they?

The A-Team was all Boards AC and it would be nice to have one team made up of that.
    I'll hopefully do it again as the crack was good.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd love to see us finally get the Boards Babes (all-female team) together :pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

+1 for the exiles team, we'd beat the other team in our sleep :pespecially if we have robin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woddle wrote: »
    The A-Team was all Boards AC and it would be nice to have one team made up of that.
    I'll hopefully do it again as the crack was good.

If I'm allowed to run wearing the Boards AC top again as an "associate member" or some such then I will be happy to dig it out. But I'd not want to take a genuine Boards AC members place on the A-Team for instance, that should be the club only and you have a target to beat from this year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    +1 for the exiles team, we'd beat the other team in our sleep :pespecially if we have robin

Ohh that's fighting talk. Would love to do the relay but plan A is to pace the marathon. If that falls through I'll deffo do the relay. Either way I'll be there for the beers after the race :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Route revealed for Cork half marathon

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 01:45 PM

The Bord Gáis Energy Cork City Marathon today unveiled the route for its inaugural half marathon.

The 13.1-mile route starts on Skehard Road in Mahon and runs with the main marathon course along Ringmahon Road and Castle Road, as far as Blackrock Castle.

Just before the castle, the half marathoners split from the main field and continue along Castle Road, into Blackrock village and onto the Marina.

The two fields merge again on the Marina and run the rest of the course together, taking the same route as last year to the finish line on St Patrick’s Street.

Sorry....been highlighted already: See posts 11 & 15 this thread.

The course being remeasured in the next few weeks, as it has now AIMS approval and is listed in the AIMS Calendar. (The calendar doesn't list the half...must point that out to the CCM people.) The Half Marathon will be measured at the same time.

The CCM people are trying to have the event approved by the IAAF as an Olympic Qualifying Course.

The CCM people are trying to have the event approved by the IAAF as an Olympic Qualifying Course.

Surprised that the only UK one on that list is London, or the Falklands but that is listed twice for some reason. Or is it that they want everyone to be going for the same events to make selection easier than if they had 6 people doing the same time in 6 different races?

• Advertisement

Yes. I too was surprised at London being the only UK one listed. Even on the continent, the numbers listed are, imho, small. Perhaps it's because of the criteria for a world best: cannot be more than 30m elevation difference between the start and finish and the distance between the start and finish must not be more than 0.25 miles (hope those criteria haven't changed since I last checked :rolleyes: ) Having said that, Boston is listed and that doesn't count under either of these criteria.

:confused::confused:

Advertisement