Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Purge: Anarchy [20-06-14]

• 12-02-2014 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks like a low budget, straight to DVD sequel. Nice to see them branch out from the home invasion angle and explore the Purge from an entirely different POV but this movie looks cheap and boring.

The idea of the Purge is a great one and really they could have made something a lot more creative than a couple breaking down and being chased through the streets by a few guys on motorbikes. Maybe there's more flair/creativity to the movie but the trailer doesn't even hint at anything other than a by the numbers chase movie. Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Has anyone seen an advance screening of this ? Initial reviews are much better than expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I thought it was real good, liked it much much more than I expected. Wasn't perfect, but the action is rock solid, the cast is pretty good, I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed a movie for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Yeah, quite enjoyed it myself. Clearly a B-Movie trying to be a B-Movie but entertaining and suspenseful throughout. Still retained some of the weird kitsch from the first film though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Looks absolute dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The first was disappointing as it never utilised the premise to its fullest. I was expecting something more along the lines of 'Judgement Night', which is what this film ended up being.

I always thought the idea behind the Purge (as ridiculous and plot hole heavy as it is) was great, but the execution is quite bland. There's some great ideas and themes to be explored, yet instead you're hammered over the head excessively with the Rich V Poor commentary.

Action is pretty decent, but I could care less about the characters involved, and as such, the film and its premise kind of dies on its arse. It's only been a year since the original came out and you can feel it in the script. As if they just shot the first draft. It's a real shame, cause the Purge always had great potential to be a classic B-movie. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

As mentioned, the idea of an annual purge is a brilliant one. This is good solid entertainment especially if you leave your brain at the check-in. Much better than part one, alright the characters are annoying but there are a number of interesting little side stories in this to keep this ticking along. Good baddies in this as well, perfect length, ya i liked it.

Your man Frank is one bad ass mother****er :p

cloud493 wrote: »
    Your man Frank is one bad ass mother****er :p

Yeah, looks great for 51 too. #NotGay

Get out, he's 51 :eek:

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Get out, he's 51 :eek:

Yeah, there's hope for us yet. *runs to gym to do some press ups*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Saw this tonight. Really enjoyed it. Grillo was perfectly cast as the lead. Worth it just for his performance IMO, he brought a lot to the film. An improvement over the first I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saw this at the weekend, and really enjoyed it. I quite liked the first one, but this is far better. Reminded me of Judgement Night, which is always good. Good acting and some clever ideas, in the way people approach the Purge in different ways. Would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Michael K Williams was such a badass in this, really hope if there's a third movie that it's about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I actually quite enjoyed this but one thing that bugged me was
    Why would Grillo's character travel halfway across the city during the purge to get to the guy's house? Why not just wait somewhere nearby until the purge starts? Much less risk of being killed on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Requin wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoyed this but one thing that bugged me was
    Why would Grillo's character travel halfway across the city during the purge to get to the guy's house? Why not just wait somewhere nearby until the purge starts? Much less risk of being killed on the way

Yeah I thought about that too,
    Perhaps, given the guy knew his face ostensibly from the trial etc, maybe if a guy whos kid you killed moved close to you just before murder is legalised for a day, you would get the hell outta dodge!

Plus he would have never met amd saved the girls or that couple otherwise so there wouldn't be much of a plot there

Yeah I enjoyed this alot more than I thought I would, will have to watch the first again to see which one I like more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Delighted to hear the good reviews about this. Going to watch it myself over the next few days.

The release date was pushed back but I can't edit the thread title anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I have to say, I enjoyed this which was a complete surprise. The premise for the original film was quite interesting but was never really explored and turned into the typical home invasion film. This time around it delves further into the event of The Purge itself which is exactly what's needed and makes for a very watchable film. Lots of plot-holes just like the first one but once you get past that it is enjoyable, and Frank Grillo is very good in the lead role.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I have to say, I enjoyed this which was a complete surprise. The premise for the original film was quite interesting but was never really explored and turned into the typical home invasion film. This time around it delves further into the event of The Purge itself which is exactly what's needed and makes for a very watchable film. Lots of plot-holes just like the first one but once you get past that it is enjoyable, and Frank Grillo is very good in the lead role.

He's in his 50's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

krudler wrote: »
    He's in his 50's!

He is, there's perfect motivation for hitting the gym, he's in great shape!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Much better than the first one I thought but still could have used the premise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Saw it the other night. Enjoyed it. Not perfect but had balls and a good bit of depth and satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Saw it last night , really enjoyed it. I liked the first one but this was so much better :) hoping theirs a 3rd. Wouldn't mind abit of purging myself :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn't really like the first movie, but this one was a big improvement and although not brilliant, it was very enjoyable and well worth watching.

Will be looking forward to the third one now.

Frank Grillo looks incredible for a guy in his 50's. Great in the lead role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Did not enjoy this film. Full of traditional 'wtf why aren't you hurrying/running/fighting' cliches. Plot holes are all over the shop. It's a b-movie. Grillo did look the part though. Didn't find out though..

Is he a military sgt or police sgt or who was he? The movie didn't explain that, nevermind the 'politics' behind the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

FGR wrote: »
    Did not enjoy this film. Full of traditional 'wtf why aren't you hurrying/running/fighting' cliches. Plot holes are all over the shop. It's a b-movie. Grillo did look the part though. Didn't find out though..

Is he a military sgt or police sgt or who was he? The movie didn't explain that, nevermind the 'politics' behind the plot.

Tbh I didnt care about the plot in this film, there is no point, its not a serious film. Good fun though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Anyone else think they could have announced that Grillo's character was actually The Punisher and not been surprised? :pac:

He was Police, they say it right at the end I think.

The Purge was another in the seemingly never ending line of generic home-invasion thrillers only with the added fun of some dystopian sci-fi thrown in for good measure. It was a rather stilted, dull and not exactly thrilling film that squandered a great set up. The Purge: Anarchy is everything the original should have been.

Anarchy keeps the set up and politics and actually does something with them. Much like Aliens significantly upped the ante, writer/director James DeMonaco takes a leaf out of Cameron's book and allows his sequel to play out on a much grander scale. Whereas the original took place almost entirely in one location, Anarchy has an entire city against which to unleash mayhem.

Following a group of strangers come together with the simple goal of getting from A to B, Anarchy is very much a stripped down B movie of yesteryear. It's pretty much The Warriors or any number of cheap and cheerful Corman productions but with some genuinely brilliant ideas in play. DeMonaco's script is jam packed with great ideas and explores a number of adult and interesting themes and issues. From the futuristic Black Panthers to the high society who pay to hunt the lower classes to the government sponsored death squads, there's a lot more going here than first appears and there's a real sense that we are following our heroes as they stumble from one exploitation film to the next.

Best of all the film never gets bogged down in trying to shove a message down the viewers throat. Simplicity is the name of the game here and there's never a sense that we are being preached to. Instead DeMonaco suggests much but never forgets that we're here for the mayhem and not the message. Visually the film is at times breathtaking and features some genuinely beautiful and haunting imagery. An early shot of a grizzled looking Frank Grillo cruising the city as a burning bus rolls down the road behind him is amongst last years most stunning compositions.

At the end of the day, The Purge: Anarchy is never going to set the world on fire. It's at heart a B movie, the like of which they don't make any more but it also explores some interesting themes and issues while never being anything less than fun. After the first Purge I would have been happy to see the proposed franchise not get up off the ground but Anarchy is so good that I can't wait to see where DeMonaco takes us next. Hopefully at least one of the proposed sequels will follow Michael K. Williams character aswell as bring back Grillo who would make one hell of a Punisher. In fact, it's quite easy to watch The Purge: Anarchy and recognise it as the best Punisher film we've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Also nice to see that the homeless guy from The Purge saved the day in The Purge: Anarchy. I'm assuming that he's supposed to be playing the same character

Advertisement