Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2014, 23:22   #1171
davegrohl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_guy80 View Post
where do these seasoned managers come from?

we're much better off developing managers from within the county as counties that do that have a much higher rate of success than the outside manager - Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Dublin, Kerry to name a few.
the only way to do that is to blood the managers from U16 up, get lots of training and experience into the management teams (yes, managers can be trained - coaching skills, management skills, tactical skills).
Good point about training managers. They should have indepth knowledge of:
- Fitness
- Player development n assessment
- Stats usage in game and in season
- Tactical formations
- Game scenarios
Advertisement
21-07-2014, 00:07   #1172
Johnny_BravoIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Running View Post
Was hardly super defensively when Armagh forwards had so much time on the ball to pick a pass or score. Clarke,kernan were so loosely marked and the runners weren't tracked. I'm surprised Senan Kilbride lasted as long as he did, he looked disinterested
I saying the system was super defensive.the problem being we had no options once in possession going forward.

Senan was decent in the second half when played inside near goal.his movement gave guys options in the second half.he had maybe 5 quick possessions and attemted to do something positive each time.

To honest I haven't seen them live this year. I was shocked how bad they were tactically going forward in the first half.
21-07-2014, 05:59   #1173
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
The county board needs to broaden its horizons and look for a seasoned manager with tactical nous.
Shown up at both under 21 and senior level when it mattered, with a glaring lack of ability to make changes on the fly when things are not going to plan.
I'm
Fergie O'Donnell had the same problem when managing the senior team. Roscommon have huge potential but lack a disciplined coach who offers a bit of variation in his tactics. The players are there to be competitive if given the environment to progress.
You could have hardly classed Jim Gavin/James Horan/Jim MGuinness as aseasoned managers when they took over, yet have had fantastic success.

Roscommon supporters really need to come around to the idea that their players may not be as good as they think they are.

The whole camp went into Saturday's game top heavy with negativity and a vibe of damage limitation.

Even though Armagh were relegated from Division 2, there was in marked difference in quality, particularly in the forwards.
21-07-2014, 15:11   #1174
Always_Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
You could have hardly classed Jim Gavin/James Horan/Jim MGuinness as aseasoned managers when they took over, yet have had fantastic success.

Roscommon supporters really need to come around to the idea that their players may not be as good as they think they are.

The whole camp went into Saturday's game top heavy with negativity and a vibe of damage limitation.

Even though Armagh were relegated from Division 2, there was in marked difference in quality, particularly in the forwards.
In fairness the best wasn't brought out in Roscommon forwards. Cregg,kilbride who are two experience players that should be leading from the front were seen more in defence in Kilbrides case he wasn't giving the required work rate. The other forwards are young lads learning the ropes they were up against some top experienced defenders in mckeever,mallon and a real wall of defence that even Tyrone the week before couldn't break down. Murtagh for example was fed on scraps yet still managed to score the same as Tony kernan who had more room to play.
21-07-2014, 15:52   #1175
nice_guy80

Not much Senan can do if the ball isn't delivered accurately into him and then he needs support runners.

While I understand the need to tighten up at the back, we have the forwards and midfield to beat a lot of teams and we should put faith in the ability of out backs to keep the score down.
We should play to our strengths - all good teams do. Once you implement tactics to negate the opposition you've already half lost the battle. Let them worry about you.
Advertisement
21-07-2014, 16:49   #1176
Boom__Boom

If Roscommon want to develop they need to take the league seriously. Posted pretty much the same below in the Cavan thread and it's worth remembering for ye lads as well.

If Roscommon hadn't got promoted for instance and Fermanagh had for some reason - Roscommon football would be in a far bleaker place - facing into the league with games against - Armagh, Louth, Sligo, Wexford, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare as opposed to facing teams of the quality of Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Down, Laois, Galway, and of course Roscommon. Which of those two scenarios is likely to improve players/bring players on (even if it is "only the league") Basically my point is when you look at the overall level of difference in quality, Roscommon are a far better place than if they were still in Division 3. Look at the teams in Division 2 and what they have done in the Championship over the last few years versus what the teams in Division 3 have, especially in terms of overall progression. At the moment of the 12 teams left in the Championship 5 are from Division 1 & 5 from Division 2. Obviously being in those divisions doesn't guarantee anything, but overall it makes progress more likely.

Also I came across a stat on the Kerry website a few months back that someone posted about the Kerry juniors - Kerry used 29 players in the league this year and 9 of them had played with the Kerry juniors previously. When you look at the number of lads who would have been ineligible because of the clubs they played for in Kerry it's clear that it's a very valuable stepping stone in terms of developing players for the senior panel.

The nine were

Darren O'Sullivan
Anthony Maher
Stephen O’Brien
Shane Enright
Brian Maguire
Conor Cox
Jack Sherwood
Pa Kilkenny
Alan Fitzgerald

Some of them names might not be too familiar to those outside the county but 7 of them have already played Championship for Kerry and I wouldn't bet against the other 2 getting a chance at some stage.

Counties who don't take the junior seriously are definitely missing a trick imo.
What sort of approach is taken to the juniors in Roscommon? Is it being used as well as it could be to bring players on or is it more of a half-hearted approach being taken?
Obviously it's not going to magically start turning out huge volumes of players but as a method for bringing on lads - especially in terms of giving lads from smaller clubs access to experience with top-class coaching & fitness and giving them games against other decent players it can be very valuable.
21-07-2014, 16:58   #1177
nice_guy80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom__Boom View Post
If Roscommon want to develop they need to take the league seriously. Posted pretty much the same below in the Cavan thread and it's worth remembering for ye lads as well.

If Roscommon hadn't got promoted for instance and Fermanagh had for some reason - Roscommon football would be in a far bleaker place - facing into the league with games against - Armagh, Louth, Sligo, Wexford, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare as opposed to facing teams of the quality of Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Down, Laois, Galway, and of course Roscommon. Which of those two scenarios is likely to improve players/bring players on (even if it is "only the league") Basically my point is when you look at the overall level of difference in quality, Roscommon are a far better place than if they were still in Division 3. Look at the teams in Division 2 and what they have done in the Championship over the last few years versus what the teams in Division 3 have, especially in terms of overall progression. At the moment of the 12 teams left in the Championship 5 are from Division 1 & 5 from Division 2. Obviously being in those divisions doesn't guarantee anything, but overall it makes progress more likely.

Also I came across a stat on the Kerry website a few months back that someone posted about the Kerry juniors - Kerry used 29 players in the league this year and 9 of them had played with the Kerry juniors previously. When you look at the number of lads who would have been ineligible because of the clubs they played for in Kerry it's clear that it's a very valuable stepping stone in terms of developing players for the senior panel.

The nine were

Darren O'Sullivan
Anthony Maher
Stephen O’Brien
Shane Enright
Brian Maguire
Conor Cox
Jack Sherwood
Pa Kilkenny
Alan Fitzgerald

Some of them names might not be too familiar to those outside the county but 7 of them have already played Championship for Kerry and I wouldn't bet against the other 2 getting a chance at some stage.

Counties who don't take the junior seriously are definitely missing a trick imo.
What sort of approach is taken to the juniors in Roscommon? Is it being used as well as it could be to bring players on or is it more of a half-hearted approach being taken?
Obviously it's not going to magically start turning out huge volumes of players but as a method for bringing on lads - especially in terms of giving lads from smaller clubs access to experience with top-class coaching & fitness and giving them games against other decent players it can be very valuable.
Roscommon don't enter the junior anymore
It was deemed a drain on resources
21-07-2014, 17:14   #1178
Boom__Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_guy80 View Post
Roscommon don't enter the junior anymore
It was deemed a drain on resources
Ah that's just fecking reckless stupidity imo.

Beyond that I love the fact that junior gives lads who might not be up to the very top standard of intercounty football a chance to represent their county.

I know a lad in Kerry - decent club footballer for years who was fecking overjoyed at lining out for the Kerry juniors. As he said himself he knew he wasnt ever going to get within an asses roar of a Kerry panel but getting to wear the green-and-gold and represent his county was a huge honour.

With the situation with a growing club v county divide, I think the GAA should be doing more to push the junior championship. With no qualifiers it can be run off fairly easily and at least it gives some of the more devoted club players something to do as opposed to twiddle their thumbs when the senior team is in action.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion