Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Was hardly super defensively when Armagh forwards had so much time on the ball to pick a pass or score. Clarke,kernan were so loosely marked and the runners weren't tracked. I'm surprised Senan Kilbride lasted as long as he did, he looked disinterested
    I saying the system was super defensive.the problem being we had no options once in possession going forward.

Senan was decent in the second half when played inside near goal.his movement gave guys options in the second half.he had maybe 5 quick possessions and attemted to do something positive each time.

To honest I haven't seen them live this year. I was shocked how bad they were tactically going forward in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The county board needs to broaden its horizons and look for a seasoned manager with tactical nous.
    Shown up at both under 21 and senior level when it mattered, with a glaring lack of ability to make changes on the fly when things are not going to plan.
    I'm
    Fergie O'Donnell had the same problem when managing the senior team. Roscommon have huge potential but lack a disciplined coach who offers a bit of variation in his tactics. The players are there to be competitive if given the environment to progress.

You could have hardly classed Jim Gavin/James Horan/Jim MGuinness as aseasoned managers when they took over, yet have had fantastic success.

Roscommon supporters really need to come around to the idea that their players may not be as good as they think they are.

The whole camp went into Saturday's game top heavy with negativity and a vibe of damage limitation.

Even though Armagh were relegated from Division 2, there was in marked difference in quality, particularly in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You could have hardly classed Jim Gavin/James Horan/Jim MGuinness as aseasoned managers when they took over, yet have had fantastic success.

Roscommon supporters really need to come around to the idea that their players may not be as good as they think they are.

The whole camp went into Saturday's game top heavy with negativity and a vibe of damage limitation.

Even though Armagh were relegated from Division 2, there was in marked difference in quality, particularly in the forwards.
    In fairness the best wasn't brought out in Roscommon forwards. Cregg,kilbride who are two experience players that should be leading from the front were seen more in defence in Kilbrides case he wasn't giving the required work rate. The other forwards are young lads learning the ropes they were up against some top experienced defenders in mckeever,mallon and a real wall of defence that even Tyrone the week before couldn't break down. Murtagh for example was fed on scraps yet still managed to score the same as Tony kernan who had more room to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Not much Senan can do if the ball isn't delivered accurately into him and then he needs support runners.

While I understand the need to tighten up at the back, we have the forwards and midfield to beat a lot of teams and we should put faith in the ability of out backs to keep the score down.
    We should play to our strengths - all good teams do. Once you implement tactics to negate the opposition you've already half lost the battle. Let them worry about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

If Roscommon want to develop they need to take the league seriously. Posted pretty much the same below in the Cavan thread and it's worth remembering for ye lads as well.

If Roscommon hadn't got promoted for instance and Fermanagh had for some reason - Roscommon football would be in a far bleaker place - facing into the league with games against - Armagh, Louth, Sligo, Wexford, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare as opposed to facing teams of the quality of Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Down, Laois, Galway, and of course Roscommon. Which of those two scenarios is likely to improve players/bring players on (even if it is "only the league") Basically my point is when you look at the overall level of difference in quality, Roscommon are a far better place than if they were still in Division 3. Look at the teams in Division 2 and what they have done in the Championship over the last few years versus what the teams in Division 3 have, especially in terms of overall progression. At the moment of the 12 teams left in the Championship 5 are from Division 1 & 5 from Division 2. Obviously being in those divisions doesn't guarantee anything, but overall it makes progress more likely.

Also I came across a stat on the Kerry website a few months back that someone posted about the Kerry juniors - Kerry used 29 players in the league this year and 9 of them had played with the Kerry juniors previously. When you look at the number of lads who would have been ineligible because of the clubs they played for in Kerry it's clear that it's a very valuable stepping stone in terms of developing players for the senior panel.

The nine were

Darren O'Sullivan
    Anthony Maher
    Stephen O’Brien
    Shane Enright
    Brian Maguire
    Conor Cox
    Jack Sherwood
    Pa Kilkenny
    Alan Fitzgerald

Some of them names might not be too familiar to those outside the county but 7 of them have already played Championship for Kerry and I wouldn't bet against the other 2 getting a chance at some stage.

Counties who don't take the junior seriously are definitely missing a trick imo.
    What sort of approach is taken to the juniors in Roscommon? Is it being used as well as it could be to bring players on or is it more of a half-hearted approach being taken?
    Obviously it's not going to magically start turning out huge volumes of players but as a method for bringing on lads - especially in terms of giving lads from smaller clubs access to experience with top-class coaching & fitness and giving them games against other decent players it can be very valuable.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    If Roscommon want to develop they need to take the league seriously. Posted pretty much the same below in the Cavan thread and it's worth remembering for ye lads as well.

If Roscommon hadn't got promoted for instance and Fermanagh had for some reason - Roscommon football would be in a far bleaker place - facing into the league with games against - Armagh, Louth, Sligo, Wexford, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare as opposed to facing teams of the quality of Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Down, Laois, Galway, and of course Roscommon. Which of those two scenarios is likely to improve players/bring players on (even if it is "only the league") Basically my point is when you look at the overall level of difference in quality, Roscommon are a far better place than if they were still in Division 3. Look at the teams in Division 2 and what they have done in the Championship over the last few years versus what the teams in Division 3 have, especially in terms of overall progression. At the moment of the 12 teams left in the Championship 5 are from Division 1 & 5 from Division 2. Obviously being in those divisions doesn't guarantee anything, but overall it makes progress more likely.

Also I came across a stat on the Kerry website a few months back that someone posted about the Kerry juniors - Kerry used 29 players in the league this year and 9 of them had played with the Kerry juniors previously. When you look at the number of lads who would have been ineligible because of the clubs they played for in Kerry it's clear that it's a very valuable stepping stone in terms of developing players for the senior panel.

The nine were

Darren O'Sullivan
    Anthony Maher
    Stephen O’Brien
    Shane Enright
    Brian Maguire
    Conor Cox
    Jack Sherwood
    Pa Kilkenny
    Alan Fitzgerald

Some of them names might not be too familiar to those outside the county but 7 of them have already played Championship for Kerry and I wouldn't bet against the other 2 getting a chance at some stage.

Counties who don't take the junior seriously are definitely missing a trick imo.
    What sort of approach is taken to the juniors in Roscommon? Is it being used as well as it could be to bring players on or is it more of a half-hearted approach being taken?
    Obviously it's not going to magically start turning out huge volumes of players but as a method for bringing on lads - especially in terms of giving lads from smaller clubs access to experience with top-class coaching & fitness and giving them games against other decent players it can be very valuable.

Roscommon don't enter the junior anymore
    It was deemed a drain on resources

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon don't enter the junior anymore
    It was deemed a drain on resources

Ah that's just fecking reckless stupidity imo.:mad:

Beyond that I love the fact that junior gives lads who might not be up to the very top standard of intercounty football a chance to represent their county.

I know a lad in Kerry - decent club footballer for years who was fecking overjoyed at lining out for the Kerry juniors. As he said himself he knew he wasnt ever going to get within an asses roar of a Kerry panel but getting to wear the green-and-gold and represent his county was a huge honour.

With the situation with a growing club v county divide, I think the GAA should be doing more to push the junior championship. With no qualifiers it can be run off fairly easily and at least it gives some of the more devoted club players something to do as opposed to twiddle their thumbs when the senior team is in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ros14

Championship returns this weekend.

Senior:

Group A:
    Kilmore vs Castlerea St Kevins - Saturday 9th, 6pm, Abbey Park
    Clann na nGael vs Roscommon Gaels - Sunday 10th, 5pm, Ballyforan

Group B:
    Boyle vs St Brigids - Saturday 9th, 7.30pm, Abbey Park
    Elphin vs Padraig Pearses - Saturday 9th, 7.45pm, Orchard Park

Group C:
    St Faithleachs vs Western Gaels - Sunday 10th, 3.30pm, Ballyleague
    St Aidans vs Strokestown - Sunday 10th, 6.30pm, Ballyforan

Intermediate:

Group A:
    Clann na nGael vs Eire Óg - Saturday 9th, 7.30pm, Johnstown
    St Dominics vs St Michaels - Saturday 9th, Knockcroghery

Group B:
    St Croans vs St Ronans - Saturday 9th, 6.15pm, Orchard Park
    Tulsk vs St Barrys - Sunday 10th, 2pm, Ballyleague

Group C:
    Kilglass Gaels vs Fuerty - Sunday 10th, 2pm, Kilglass
    Kilbride vs Oran - Sunday 10th, 2pm, Kilbride

Who do we expect to come out on top in these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well beaten in the ted webb final today. its incredible to watch the systems currently being employed by 15 and 16 year old lads right now. galway had their system spot on with 13 men back and then brilliantly counter attacking at pace.

unfortunately the same can't be said for our lads at this level. they tried hard but we are starting to fall a good bit behind mayo and galway again at under 16 and 18 level which is worrying for the future.

Anybody at any of the games at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ros14 wrote: »
    Anybody at any of the games at the weekend?

At the Gaels v Kilmore game in Kilmore, which was actually a game of no consequence.
    The Gaels won 1-11 to 0-7 without being impressive.
    I still believe they are good enough to win the County title, but that doesn't mean they will.
    On the Gaels current starting team they have three former All-Ireland minor winners, four players who played in All-Ireland U21 finals, a former inter-county senior, a Connacht minor winner and an All-Ireland Colleges 'B' winner (which some of the others are too). They have two other All-Ireland U21 finalists out injured.
    They have an immensely talented team, but might be a bit too young this year, but if they can keep them together and injury-free in the next few years, watch out.

megadodge wrote: »
    At the Gaels v Kilmore game in Kilmore, which was actually a game of no consequence.
    The Gaels won 1-11 to 0-7 without being impressive.
    I still believe they are good enough to win the County title, but that doesn't mean they will.
    On the Gaels current starting team they have three former All-Ireland minor winners, four players who played in All-Ireland U21 finals, a former inter-county senior, a Connacht minor winner and an All-Ireland Colleges 'B' winner (which some of the others are too). They have two other All-Ireland U21 finalists out injured.
    They have an immensely talented team, but might be a bit too young this year, but if they can keep them together and injury-free in the next few years, watch out.

They were very impressive against Clann last week, although Clann were very poor. I was at their game yesterday, they made 4 or 5 changes from last week and it worked. Castlerea couldn't handle Clann's inside forward line.

The game before hand was a very entertaining one, good win for Strokestown.

Roscommon U21 hurlers into another B final, v Kildare.
    We might have lost the U21 football final, but we might win the hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon U21 hurlers into another B final, v Kildare.
    We might have lost the U21 football final, but we might win the hurling!
    Didn't we beat them in the final about 2 years ago ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Didn't we beat them in the final about 2 years ago ?

Yeah.
    Roscommon were huge outsiders that day v Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just back from the replay between Faithleachs and the Gaels. Faithleachs won by a point and I have to say they deserved to do so.

They were unlucky in the first game where a lucky late Gaels goal nearly stole it and it looked like history was going to repeat itself again when the Gaels got another lucky goal well into the second half (followed by a point to put four in it) and it looked decisive in a tight match between very evenly matched sides. However, Faithleachs just wouldn't back down and clawed back point by point (including two soft frees) and Ciaran Murtagh got two massive points to give them the win.

The Gaels real problem was a lack of penetration. They dominated midfield but were content to play the ball sideways out around the '50 and then either play it into Mark Healy (playing at FF) who had to go to the wings to lose two markers and expect him to do it all on his own, or, worse still, just hoof a high ball into Healy where there were three or four Faithleachs players on him. The support play you usually associate with them was poor. The Gaels really, really missed Cian Connolly (injured I presume - didn't play), whose ability to win ball and finish would have given them an extra option and possibly freed up Healy also.

The first day I got to see Brigids and Clann too and despite Cathal Shine and Ultan Harney doiminating midfield, Brigids were far, far too slick and polished, plus Clann had no forwards (Donie injured). Was impressed with my first look at Mulhaire in the flesh. Shows constantly and works very well with Senan. They won't be beaten this year (which is not what I thought early in the summer).

Finally, I must say Ultan Harney is absolutely ready to play inter-county senior. His physical strength and control on the ball is stunning for someone so young and despite the fact that he's probably not six foot, his aerial ability is excellent. Hopefully he's brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sure he was invited onto the panel by Evans but rightly chose to respectfully decline because of his injuries and other constraints - he only sat his Leaving in June. Don't doubt himself and Corcoran will be on the senior panel next year.

Did Ward get a 2 game suspension for the incident last Sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did Ward get a 2 game suspension for the incident last Sunday ?

Heard nothing so I assume it's just a regular one game suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

London and Sligo stand in our way to making the provincial final and at least a place in the last 12 of the All Ireland series, great opportunity to push on from this years improvement.
    Is Liam Kearns now part of the management team?

• Advertisement

London and Sligo stand in our way to making the provincial final and at least a place in the last 12 of the All Ireland series, great opportunity to push on from this years improvement.
    Is Liam Kearns now part of the management team?

Best draw possible and hope we continue to improve.

Kearns has joined the backroom team.Mark Dowd is the new U21 manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No excuses not to get into a Connacht final.

Even though we're in the top side of the draw, would we be conceding home advantage to whoever we may play in the final ? On account of the Hyde being in a bad state or something

No excuses not to get into a Connacht final.

Even though we're in the top side of the draw, would we be conceding home advantage to whoever we may play in the final ? On account of the Hyde being in a bad state or something

Can't play a final in the Hyde .Hopefully the redevelopment has started by then anyways.

if roscommon were to get to a final they would be automatically away to galway or mayo anyway having played them at home last time around.

what is interesting is that seeing as the hyde is no longer suitable for finals roscommon should get the choice of neutral venue, the same option leitrim and sligo would get in their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Johnny Davey tweet.

81, 87, 97, 07, we've a curiously good record of overturning Ros when not expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if roscommon were to get to a final they would be automatically away to galway or mayo anyway having played them at home last time around.

what is interesting is that seeing as the hyde is no longer suitable for finals roscommon should get the choice of neutral venue, the same option leitrim and sligo would get in their position.

This year coming? That would be ridiculous, especially given that the Hyde should be back to normal the following year. Just play it away and we all carry on as normal

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This year coming? That would be ridiculous, especially given that the Hyde should be back to normal the following year. Just play it away and we all carry on as normal

they will be no redevelopment in the hyde for years to come. summer 2015 is the earliest they expect to start work and you can see that being pushed back further and further as we get closer http://www.roscommonherald.ie/2014/07/22/development-hyde-park-next-summer/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If the agreement is as described there is no way we should play away from home, rather than at a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If Roscommon last played Mayo/Galway at home then the next match should be away. that's common sense. It's not other counties fault that Roscommon can't provide a suitable ground. if after this year, it looks long term like Roscommon will have no home ground, then maybe rearrange the agreement to neutral every year. No way the winner of Mayo/Galway should agree to that this year however

• Advertisement

If Roscommon last played Mayo/Galway at home then the next match should be away.

finals are different though. if sligo gets galway in the final next year its a neutral venue even though sligo were at home to galway this year.

Advertisement