Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Golden Throat

So Marty wasn't in Bloom today. I suppose he was there yesterday. But I got one of Neven's fairycakes at the marquee and I bought a big voucher for Macneans. The first of the Xmas presents done there. But "Bloom" was fab! Thanks Marty! I believe Mary Kennedy was there as well but she must have been mobbed with all the other Lyric celebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yvonne's been quiet for a while.
    So Marty wasn't in Bloom today. I suppose he was there yesterday. But I got one of Neven's fairycakes at the marquee and I bought a big voucher for Macneans. The first of the Xmas presents done there. But "Bloom" was fab! Thanks Marty! I believe Mary Kennedy was there as well but she must have been mobbed with all the other Lyric celebs.

Hmmmmm

It turned out this morning that Marty was in Bloom on Friday but after the Show not during it. He had a great time and met a lot of the old faithfuls. Lots of them were on to him this morning on the programme. I wish he would do "phone-ins" because I'd talk to him myself on radio if I got my nerves under control. Great show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It turned out this morning that Marty was in Bloom on Friday but after the Show not during it. He had a great time and met a lot of the old faithfuls. Lots of them were on to him this morning on the programme. I wish he would do "phone-ins" because I'd talk to him myself on radio if I got my nerves under control. Great show today.

Building on that, moving him to the Liveline slot might be a very good idea.

Calina wrote: »
    Building on that, moving him to the Liveline slot might be a very good idea.

I think Marty is better for Light Entertainment than for serious stuff like Liveline. But a phone-in on music could be good on that show. Classics from the Bus Stop and things like that. I catch him for around an hour most mornings and he really perks me up. I don't think Joe Duffy would do that to me on the way in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I think Marty is better for Light Entertainment than for serious stuff like Liveline. But a phone-in on music could be good on that show. Classics from the Bus Stop and things like that. I catch him for around an hour most mornings and he really perks me up. I don't think Joe Duffy would do that to me on the way in.
    Oh you should check out liveline. Joe is quite the wit these days. He has quite perfected the art of mocking people while sounding sympathetic at the same time. Marty would be hard pressed to keep up the standard but I'm sure he could pull it off if he tried. I'd say he is a bit bored where he is at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

While I am sure such a rounded pro as Mart would make a fine job of Liveline, I don't think it would be the platform for him to display his skills as a humourist or as an expert on the full spectrum of musical genres - the melange that is prooving such a ratings topper with both audience and critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

While I am sure such a rounded pro as Mart would make a fine job of Liveline, I don't think it would be the platform for him to display his skills as a humourist or as an expert on the full spectrum of musical genres - the melange that is prooving such a ratings topper with both audience and critics.

Anyone else feel like they're drowning in saccharine lately? I'm feeling positively diabetic by this point.

(and those are only from this page, couldn't be bothered going any further back)

I have now officially given up listening to Lyric before 10am.

Could I request that a signal (secret, if necessary) be given using this thread to notify me, and any others who may find it useful, that Marty is on holidays and it's safe to tune in pre-10am? Thanks.

I'm still shaking with laughter at this one from Marty in the past half hour ---

A man and woman are on their honeymoon and the phone rings. The woman answers and says "We're 200 miles inland. How would I know." And she hangs up.

"Who is that dear?" says the hubby.

"Some confused woman who wanted the Weather Girl."

"What? How do you know?"

"She asked if the coast was clear?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, given there's 3 potential trolls on this thread conversing with each other, it might be finally time to give up on the thread too.

I've only found out by accident when Marty is off but for the record, it's often bank holiday Mondays, the Eurovision, whenever he does his travel dept gig and some time around Easter and Christmas.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Well, given there's 3 potential trolls on this thread conversing with each other, it might be finally time to give up on the thread too.

I've only found out by accident when Marty is off but for the record, it's often bank holiday Mondays, the Eurovision, whenever he does his travel dept gig and some time around Easter and Christmas.

Well According to Various Religious theories, God is three people and also one. It's a miracle this thread is still going...

Well According to Various Religious theories, God is three people and also one. It's a miracle this thread is still going...

I stood beside Marty in Tower Records in Dublin this week where he was buying a box set of the Puccini operas. I didn't think he'd need to buy this because he must have all the recordings in RTE at his finger tips for the borrowing.

He had great chat for the staff and some of the customers who were chatty. I was too shy to talk to him and I'm sorry now because I could have got his autograph too. He was saying to the man that he's studying for Verona because he's leading a cultural group on an opera trip. He is as tall in real life as he is on RTE. You don't often get that. Gay is taller than he seems and people say Ryan Tubridy is smaller in real life.

The Verona trip is with Travel Department and includes Carmen. I dont think there is any Puccini in it (is there ?), but Mart already knows more or less everything thats worth knowing about Puccini operas, so I would say he was just picking up some new recordings for comparison - he has multiple recordings of all the operas already I gather.
    Thats so Marty with the aimiable chatting to the staff! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I stood beside Marty in Tower Records in Dublin this week where he was buying a box set of the Puccini operas.

Many would say that box sets put out by record companies are the buckets of chicken of the musical world. I don't necessarily agree... Just saying.

Many would say that box sets put out by record companies are the buckets of chicken of the musical world. I don't necessarily agree... Just saying.

They would be wrong.
    Knowledgeable people would categorically disagree rather than just not necessarily agreeing.
    Why say at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Thats so Marty with the aimiable chatting to the staff! :D

Really? I chat to staff as well when I am talking to them and I don't see it as "so Marty". I see it as treating them like human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jmcc

It does fit the stereotype though - that Marty can't tell Pagliacci from Paganini. He's probably on safer ground with the theme tunes and Sixties songs that he plays.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    It does fit the stereotype though

Or unfair prejudice against a man who is musical to the core. And I am sure he can identify a Pagliacci concerto from a Paganini one even after hearing only a couple of bars.

Or unfair prejudice against a man who is musical to the core. And I am sure he can identify a Pagliacci concerto from a Paganini one even after hearing only a couple of bars.
    One can see that in you he has found the ideal audience. Perhaps he can entertain you by humming a Pagliacci concerto or two. :)

I was scanning through channels and accidentally happened on the babbling bozo on Lyric. Definitely should have removed Lyric from the presets.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Expunge

Ireland's unfunniest 'funny man' is off today.
    The shower of gimps who text him each morning with their supposed to be funny observations will have to go and bore their own families for a change.

Lorcan Murray is providing a pleasant listen with a playlist that's a bit more coherent than yesterday's procession of Julio Iglesias followed by Nick Drake, followed by Tchaikovsky, followed by Ben E King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What an absolute pleasure it is listening to Lyric this morning.

That is all.

This is great. No babbling bozo. Just music without clueless interruptions. And beautiful weather too. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Baron Scarpia

To give credit where it is due, this week has been better. Can't put my finger on why.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

To give credit where it is due, this week has been better. Can't put my finger on why.
    I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Turned on lyric and Jesus Marty is sounding different.

Sounds different this morning too. More music and less chat? Could that be it? Nope. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Expunge

Well done Lorcan Murray! A nice mix of music and pleasantness, not stupidity this morning.
    No stupid texts from the nutters who are usually quoted on that show and Hugo has thankfully f**cked off for a while - long may that continue.

It's amazing how different and sane the tone of the programme is when the chap with the new hair is gone.

Same production, same management in lyric when he's not there - he must be calling all the shots in there when he's around.

Using public money - it's criminal.

That was quite pleasant. No babbling bozo. Just music and non-intrusive chat. Almost worth listening to Lyric again. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lorcan is in all week!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Lorcan is in all week!
    Excellent news. It might be safe to listen to LyricFM in the morning again or at least for this week.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement