Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

You will have no problem. On arrival you will be brought into a lecture room to fill in some forms. You will then go to the Room where the Course takes place. Only person doing the course is allowed in the room, everyone else waits their turn in the hall. You will easily be there 2 hrs anyway. Westcork11, am sending you private message.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

westcork11 wrote: »
    hey hav my p.c.t aswell in d morning play a good bit of soccer and football,so ya reckon a fairly standard level of fitness should pass it ya??also how long will we be there roughly??thanks and good luck ta any1 else doin it tmoro,c ye there......

Read the charter. No text speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 E.M.J.M

done my pct today, was dead eay.. think one failed on the push and pull machine..they said nothing on anyone being called down yet, he just said HQ will be onto you in the future is all.. i heard that a group had to re-do their medical last week because it went passed 6months of waiting and had to get a more updated one..so must be a long list?

I was onto HQ last week and was told that it would be highly unlikely that anyone would be recalled for Medicals. I had mine back in April and have not been recalled. Who did you hear this from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    I was onto HQ last week and was told that it would be highly unlikely that anyone would be recalled for Medicals. I had mine back in April and have not been recalled. Who did you hear this from ?

told the same myself from HQ unlikely be called for medical..depends who you talk to i suppose.with more people with everything done hopefully might have intake soon clear backlog..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

Did my med back in april as well could not see them calling us back for re-medicals after six months they wouldn't have the money or waste the money I'd say. I wonder is there people who did there meds well over a year ago and got called to redo them? I don't know I'd just love some clarification on the whole scenario, it's even ruining my Christmas this waiting craic ha ha, keep the head up is all we can do I suppose happy Xmas everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

i did my pct this morning aswell. there was bout 5 lads that did thier meds last week but they were all first timers. there was nothing said regards intakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

i wonder how many people have passed the medical and pct and are waiting to be called?? do ye think there is over 200??

dylmeister wrote: »
    Did my med back in april as well could not see them calling us back for re-medicals after six months they wouldn't have the money or waste the money I'd say. I wonder is there people who did there meds well over a year ago and got called to redo them? I don't know I'd just love some clarification on the whole scenario, it's even ruining my Christmas this waiting craic ha ha, keep the head up is all we can do I suppose happy Xmas everyone

waiting is tough alright could be worse though if we were just waiting for recruitment campaign to begin we got this far we'll survive!!!,happy christmas to you also Dylmeister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Yay Im all done now too! Just waiting on a phone call now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dylmeister

well dne blue belle fair play,had you your pct today? many doing it the last two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Yay Im all done now too! Just waiting on a phone call now :)

ah delighted for you hun, well deserved :)

Thanks guys, i dont know how many have been doing it, Im just glad to have it done. If I ever see that push pull machine again it will be too soon! :) Still none the wiser about an intake but i feel a step closer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Thanks guys, i dont know how many have been doing it, Im just glad to have it done. If I ever see that push pull machine again it will be too soon! :) Still none the wiser about an intake but i feel a step closer anyway.
    Sorry Blue Belle but they make you do it in phase one and three. :D But sure its 20 seconds and just go for it!!!! But congratulations, alll done now for you, hopefully you will hear something soon!!!

Ah fer... Do they make you do the obstacle course aswel? Coz that dummy was no friend of mind either... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Ah fer... Do they make you do the obstacle course aswel? Coz that dummy was no friend of mind either... :D
    Yeah, afraid so. You have to pass it at the end of Phase 1 so that you can do Phase 2. Same again for Phase 3 to get to phase 4. If you passed it now, you will certainly pass it after 22 weeks of training so don't worry about it! It will be fine.

:) Ah Im only joking, it will be worth it. For anyone doing the pct, my advice for the push pull is this.. Its very difficult to know how youre doing on it as youre not pushing against a certain weight so put as much force behind it as possible and aim to increase it at each push/pull. Its only 20 seconds and it goes by very fast so theres no need to try conserve energy for the end like you would be inclined to do with the course. Basically just go for it. Its not easy for us ladies but it is do-able!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

have been waiting since i passed interview in aug 08 and was callsd for a med 3 weeks ago on dec 9 . Passed thankfully and did the pct on dec 15 and also passed asked about intakes but they had no idea and just said HR would be in touch. A few lads on the day of my med were redoing as they had passed it and the pct but time had lapsed on their meds. glad to see im not alone in waiting there were rumors about intakes in feb and i heard from a source who has always found out about intakes the same thing but who knows. Hope any info is useful. PS anyone doing pct dont stress it looks harder then it is i was quiet worried but went through comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 45 houseystuff

Did my PCT on Tuesday morning also...Was fine, little bit tougher than i expected especially the dummy drag (more so the 3rd time round) but any general level of fitness and you will pass it..

Just think of it as 3 minutes of your life that could lead to a lot more down the line..

As for the push pull - its a matter of just driving those arms back and forth, focus on a point on the wall is a good way of concentrating your rhythm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Did my PCT on Tuesday morning also...Was fine, little bit tougher than i expected especially the dummy drag (more so the 3rd time round) but any general level of fitness and you will pass it..

Just think of it as 3 minutes of your life that could lead to a lot more down the line..

As for the push pull - its a matter of just driving those arms back and forth, focus on a point on the wall is a good way of concentrating your rhythm.

Fair play houseystuff. When did you do your interview??? God this is becoming a never ending list of people waiting, will I ever get called for a medical or PCT:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 houseystuff

Did it in May 08..So I have been waiting a bit for the medical and PCT..How about you?

have been waiting since i passed interview in aug 08 and was callsd for a med 3 weeks ago on dec 9 . Passed thankfully and did the pct on dec 15 and also passed asked about intakes but they had no idea and just said HR would be in touch. A few lads on the day of my med were redoing as they had passed it and the pct but time had lapsed on their meds. glad to see im not alone in waiting there were rumors about intakes in feb and i heard from a source who has always found out about intakes the same thing but who knows. Hope any info is useful. PS anyone doing pct dont stress it looks harder then it is i was quiet worried but went through comfortably

Fact that people were redoing meds i think is a good sign as they surely wouldnt call people back if intake wasnt imminent...famous last words i suppose i said the same in october when people were called..
    congrats to those who passed meds,pcts.

I think it is a good sign. There were a few statements made over the past 6 months or so stating that the moratorium would be lifted next year if I remember correctly. If I was a betting lady I would say there could be an intake in Feb. Of course, thats not to say that we will all be in that intake but it would be great to get the ball rolling again. Either way Im sure offers would go out early Jan for a Feb intake so we will know in a few weeks Im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Congratulations Blue Belle, delighted for you... you will be in Templemore before you know it! :)

Ah thanks eroo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

Fact that people were redoing meds i think is a good sign as they surely wouldnt call people back if intake wasnt imminent...famous last words i suppose i said the same in october when people were called..
    congrats to those who passed meds,pcts.
    hey waiting game few of us were thinking the same on the day the guys were redoing meds why call them now if there was no intake soon would not make sense if they were going to have to wait another year. Im new to the site so forgive if i ask questions already asked but how do they decide who goes in? Is it in order of completion of everything passed or do they mix it up with age and gender? just wondering have u everyting passed aswell

Are any of the lads that repeated their medicals watching in at the moment ? If so, will ye make yourselves known and lets us know whats happening.

I dont think people repeating medicals know any more than us Adrian. They just get a phone call to say go do it again on such and such a day etc.. Nobody knows anything yet so just sit tight for now ;)

hey waiting game few of us were thinking the same on the day the guys were redoing meds why call them now if there was no intake soon would not make sense if they were going to have to wait another year. Im new to the site so forgive if i ask questions already asked but how do they decide who goes in? Is it in order of completion of everything passed or do they mix it up with age and gender? just wondering have u everyting passed aswell

Hi Tiring wait
    yeah i have everything completed since late march/early april..i think its in order of completion of everything you are called i wouldnt say they would take gender or age into consideration.ask away with the questions welcome to the forum.
    safe to say it wont be 2012 till we are called!

• Advertisement

I could be pushing my luck now but fact that people are redoin meds now would suggest feb intake..because if may or later intake was on the cards surely they would be called to redo meds in new year..anyway just a thought!

Advertisement