Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lifting bridges

Options
  • 22-07-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭

I notice they're opening the Beckett Bridge for maintenance this evening (they never seem to open it to allow actual boats through).

This got me thinking about the 3 lifting bridges nearby; on the quays @ Georges and Spencer Docks, and at the other end of Spencer Dock on Sherriff Street.

Does anyone know when was the last time any of these were actually lifted?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A recent piece about it here
    http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/

The author of that blog would be able to give you a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IWAI document here suggest the Spencer Dock bridge was last lifted 6 or 7 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very certain is has been done more recently than that.

A definitive answer could be obtained by contacting:

Waterways Ireland Eastern Regional Office (M-F 9.30am-4.30pm) 01-868-0148
    Dock Superintendent, Spencer Dock Mark Clarke 087-2584713

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm thinking they would have been lifted in 2012 for the Tall Ships Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

D Trent wrote: »
    I'm thinking they would have been lifted in 2012 for the Tall Ships Festival

the Tall Ships were all on the Liffey - wouldn't have required opening any of the old dock bridges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement