Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Comments

beno619 wrote: »
    HTC have stated that the wiring and supporting components for the boomsound speakers are under there. Why wouldn't I accept it ? Its also not as big a deal as some people are trying to make it out to be.

Very true. I guess people like to nitpick anything they can, but then can accept Samsung selling a phone that looks like a band-aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

beno619 wrote: »
    They gave into sd card complaints, doubt its a cost saving measure, I would also prefer if they stuck to 32gb.

In many ways I was quite surprised by the decision especially since they teamed up with google to offer additional drive space free for 12 months(or 24?). It's a wonder Google didn't insist on HTC keeping the SD slot off the table when agreeing that deal
    HTC have stated that the wiring and supporting components for the boomsound speakers are under there. Why wouldn't I accept it ? Its also not as big a deal as some people are trying to make it out to be.

Yeah HTC have been saying that. It's just a pity they couldn't squeeze the extra screen into the M7 body and keeping the height of the device shorter, but so be it, I wouldn't consider that bit of black space a deal breaker or a deciding factor.

Not really sure why anyone wouldn't believe HTC on that issue - why would they make a bigger phone if they didn't have to.

Ordered the dot view case from xpansys on Friday, and over the weekend it's gone from expected in 1 day to expected in 32 days. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ordered the dot view case from xpansys on Friday, and over the weekend it's gone from expected in 1 day to expected in 32 days. Anyone else in the same boat?

No but I went on to order the case now and its on a pre-order only basis and its 40 quid. Were you lucky enough to get it for 20?

Im about to order the phone now with 02. What colour did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Basil3 wrote: »

exact same boat - feck sake!

• Advertisement

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    No but I went on to order the case now and its on a pre-order only basis and its 40 quid. Were you lucky enough to get it for 20?

Im about to order the phone now with 02. What colour did you get?

Yeah, called them and they said expecting stock end of April. Will probably keep the order in as it's a good price and I can survive with the case that came with the phone.

I have gunmetal grey phone, and ordered grey case. Boring, I know ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

So with the people who got the Phone

What are you rating out of ten compared to previous devices you had before.

I wanna pick one up by the end of the week

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    So with the people who got the Phone

What are you rating out of ten compared to previous devices you had before.

I wanna pick one up by the end of the week

Well I'm biased towards HTC, but since Android came around, I've owned HTC Hero, DHD, Sensation, One X, One and now M8. Have also owned Samsung Galaxy S, S3, and Note 2.

I would rate this phone above them all. If the One was an 8.5/10, this is a 9. I liked the One camera, perfect for what I do (mainly photos of my young kids), and the M8 camera would be a bit better, even if it's still only 4MP. The screen is great, even if it's slightly lower ppi compared to the One screen, it looks fantastic. The biggest thing for me is the battery. I'm a heavy user, and it is really great. Right now I'm sitting at 48% left with almost 4 hours screen on time. As an experiment, I charged the phone last night and put it in extreme power saver while I slept. When I woke 6 hours later, the battery still said 100%.

I also prefer Sense over any other UI I've tried (only really used TouchWiz, Sony phones and iPhone). Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it. They have really made it much lighter than it used to be and everything is super smooth.

From a personal perspective, I generally root and put a custom ROM on my phone the day I get it. The M8 will undoubtedly have the best developer support of any Sense phone so far. All the Team Venom devs from multiple devices are getting the M8, so there will be a team of at least half a dozen top notch devs working together on the device.

I could go on, but this is one phone you definitely won't regret getting. Maybe if you already have the One it's not worth it, but coming from any other device I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I heard HTC copied LG by introducing the double tap to wake and unlock the phone. Think this is an awesome feature.
    Is it true and does it work correctly?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I heard HTC copied LG by introducing the double tap to wake and unlock the phone. Think this is an awesome feature.
    Is it true and does it work correctly?

Double tap to wake (to lockscreen), double tap can then turn screen back off
    Swipe up from screen off = phone on and to last screen you were on
    Swipe right = open on BlinkFeed
    Swipe left = open on widget panel
    Swipe down = voice dialing

a dev has also added swipe to sleep, swiping across navbar, which is cool

edit:it works perfectly, but the only slight issue is that you have to pick device up, so you couldn't double tap to wake if it was lying down on your desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the build quality like this time around all?

I remember there were some issues with the M7 when it came out with rough finishing and gaps etc

Cyrus wrote: »
    whats the build quality like this time around all?

I remember there were some issues with the M7 when it came out with rough finishing and gaps etc

Perfectly fine on mine. I'm sure if I went over it with a magnifying glass, I could find things 0.1mm out of line or something, but with 5 of it's 6 sides being made from the same piece, there's much less chance of alignment issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anybody know when carphonewarehouse are getting this ??
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

You could buy it sim free from expansys.ie as I did. Awaiting delivery. Showing 88 grey M8 in stock at present

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

1jcdub wrote: »
    You could buy it sim free from expansys.ie as I did. Awaiting delivery. Showing 88 grey M8 in stock at present

I've got some store credit for cpw and a trade in. Rang a few stores today and they hadn't a clue.

boc121 wrote: »
    Anybody know when carphonewarehouse are getting this ??
    Cheers.

Official release is Thursday, everywhere should have it then. You may even be able to get it tomorrow if you go into a shop and they have stock. That's what I did with the One X.

Carphone Warehouse website confirms the 3rd:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/content/HTC-ONE-m8-Pre-Order/1258

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

For €684? Eh, think I'll give that a miss.

Reckon I might pick it up when I'm over in the States. About 470 euro there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Which provider is offering this phone with the best value for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Really considering selling my S3 to buy this

• Registered Users Posts: 18 91AP

It's a really nice phone. Takes a bit of getting used to changing from an S4. The only bad thing so far is the fact the buttons are now on screen and sometimes take up a bit too much sapce. That's only a small thing though. This is by far the best looking phone I've ever seen or owned.

You won't regret buying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Does anyone know when Vodafone stores should have this in stock? (Their forum is pretty dead).

What are the advantages of "preregistering" on their site? I don't like the idea of giving them my phone number, email address and apparently not being able to opt out of whatever their terms and conditions are.

Don't preregister. I did for O2 and Three and got nothing on information. The sales assistants in the stores were clueless too. Only for I searched for this phone and knew a lot about it they would of had be think it's not out until next month.

I know carphone warehouse have Vodafone, Meteor and o2 model's in. All stores got delivered the devices yesterday. If a stand alone Vodafone stores doesn't have it I suggest trying carphone warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

91AP wrote: »
    Don't preregister. I did for O2 and Three and got nothing on information. The sales assistants in the stores were clueless too. Only for I searched for this phone and knew a lot about it they would of had be think it's not out until next month.

I know carphone warehouse have Vodafone, Meteor and o2 model's in. All stores got delivered the devices yesterday. If a stand alone Vodafone stores doesn't have it I suggest trying carphone warehouse.

Thanks. I'll try CPW this evening. I wonder if there's any chance they'll have unbranded sets.

I hope you get lucky and get one. Mines locked to meteor. I have to go about getting it unlocked today. Let us know anyways! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Picked my upgrade up in Three this morning. Haven't played too much with it yet but it really is a beautiful phone (coming from the S3)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

kin9pin wrote: »
    Picked my upgrade up in Three this morning. Haven't played too much with it yet but it really is a beautiful phone (coming from the S3)

Just looking at the Three offer myself. The free data thing is attractive What package did you get? Does All you can Eat data mean just that or is it restricted in some way?

How do you find coverage?

Very good. I unlocked mine to three this morning. 24hours dealing with Meteor was horrendous.

All networks have them anyway. Got to admit as soon as I switched to three I got instant LTE. I didn't even get that on the S4. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Pre ordered mine Monday with O2 with the promise of dispatch yesterday. Guess what phone never dispatched and it seems they don't even have them in stock yet. It's looking like Monday or Tuesday now. I am so annoyed. Sold my other phones so it looks like I'll be slumming it on a moto g until then. Suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I do get it.
    I don't understand it though because o2 were the first to have the phone up for pre order. It's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pre ordered mine Monday with O2 with the promise of dispatch yesterday. Guess what phone never dispatched and it seems they don't even have them in stock yet. It's looking like Monday or Tuesday now. I am so annoyed. Sold my other phones so it looks like I'll be slumming it on a moto g until then. Suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I do get it.
    I don't understand it though because o2 were the first to have the phone up for pre order. It's a strange one.

It doesn't surprise me that they would take your pre-order & then sell their stock to others, knowing that you would buy anyway...

• Advertisement

That's absolutely rediculous. Phone launches in this country are a huge huge mess. We are so far behind other countries.

Advertisement