Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

• 14-12-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'll start this rolling, a separate thread for owners to share tips, tricks, issues and experiences that they are having.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How are people finding battery life?

I've noticed that when I'm on wi-fi for most of the day and in a very good reception area, then I can get 2 days of moderate use out of it.

Once I am out of wi-fi range and moving around in average mobile reception areas then it can struggle to just get 1 day of moderate usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I got my 8GB N4 just over 2 weeks ago. The first week the battery life was atrocious,often barely getting 10 hours out of it with some texting,moderate internet browsing and Google Now/Gmail etc. all syncing.

Now it's a lot better,seems like the battery needed conditioning and a good few charge cycles to show its true potential. Strangely Android OS is often the biggest battery hog above the screen. There's some discussion over on XDA about wakelocks keeping the phone from going into a proper deep sleep.

Overall i love the phone. Feels great in the hand and looks the business too. Having being running HTC's for the last 3 years it takes a bit of getting used to having a non-Sense ROM. I finally jumped from HTC because of their ridiculous wait times in implementing new updates. It's great knowing that when the next iteration of Android is released or if there are some software glitches or bugs in the N4 that Google will push out an update that i'll get straight away.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was planning to buy one of these but after seeing the review on the phones show, I think I'll hold onto my Galaxy nexus for now. He's usually fairly spot on with the reviews.
    The fact the screen on the Galaxy nexus still looks better is a bit of a turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Anybody else get sim errors asking you to reinsert the sim and reboot? I got it about 1 week after I got the phone. After resetting it all is right with the world again.

I haven't experienced that but the USB cable I got seems to be dodgy. I had a few issues where the phone would charge to 80% and then would start cycling though charging/not-charging. Changing the cable sorted that out.

Getting back to the battery, it seems that once you are in a weak mobile signal the phone just eats the battery. I was out Friday evening in a place with poor signal. My phone ended up dying before I got home, even though it had plenty of juice when I went out. That's the first time I've had a phone run out of battery on me in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

harney wrote: »
    Anybody else get sim errors asking you to reinsert the sim and reboot? I got it about 1 week after I got the phone. After resetting it all is right with the world again.

Nope, no problem for me. Don't think I've seen it mentioned on XDA either...but XDA's first page changes so often it'd be easy to miss it.
    jester77 wrote: »
    I haven't experienced that but the USB cable I got seems to be dodgy. I had a few issues where the phone would charge to 80% and then would start cycling though charging/not-charging. Changing the cable sorted that out.

Getting back to the battery, it seems that once you are in a weak mobile signal the phone just eats the battery. I was out Friday evening in a place with poor signal. My phone ended up dying before I got home, even though it had plenty of juice when I went out. That's the first time I've had a phone run out of battery on me in years.

I actually ran down to about 8% this afternoon. Turns out it was Copilot live eating it. I was testing it for use in the US next month and I closed it but it was still active in the background. It only stopped it when I swiped it away in the multitask menu.

I've just taken the bumper off there, the phone is just too sexy to have a bumper on it. It felt like any other phone with it on but its amazing without it.
    I'll keep it for when I'm travelling for when it might get knocked about but its staying naked the rest of the time :)

lafors wrote: »
    I've just taken the bumper off there, the phone is just too sexy to have a bumper on it. It felt like any other phone with it on but its amazing without it.
    I'll keep it for when I'm travelling for when it might get knocked about but its staying naked the rest of the time :)

I didn't bother with the bumper. I got the iphone 4 on release day and they gave out bumpers with it shortly after. I used it for a few days before getting rid of it. The iphone is still in perfect condition even though I've never covered it. The nexus 4 is made of similar materials so I will leave it as it is. IMO, it's already a bit too big without adding more bulk to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

lord lucan wrote: »

Does the LED on the nexus 4 flash or is it always on? Also what colours can you get from it?

Does the LED on the nexus 4 flash or is it always on? Also what colours can you get from it?

With that app you can set it to always on or set it blink at whatever interval you want. It's a great app, you have access to the full spectrum of colours for the LED.

It's well worth paying for it, the developer is a really nice guy. I've contacted him recently regarding some features I would like to see added and he got back to me within 10 mins and said he would add these features in the next version, should be out next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

Does anyone have any insight into when the wireless orb charger will be available?

Any recommendations for a screen protector from those who already have the phone?

I just ordered 10 nfc tags for use with the phone. I was thinking of using 1 of the tags to enable my xbmc remote. on a side note both my nexus 4 my nexus 7 are playing
    fantastically well with my raspberry pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

First a few basic question as I'm jumping from Froyo to Jellybean.

Is there any way to modify the dialler so you can use the numerical pad to search contacts?

Has anyone looked at rooting the device? I forgot how irritating ads are on free only apps and could do with hiding them again.

I just ordered 10 nfc tags for use with the phone. I was thinking of using 1 of the tags to enable my xbmc remote. on a side note both my nexus 4 my nexus 7 are playing

Just be careful with the tags you order, the popular Mifare classic tags are not supported.

on a side note both my nexus 4 my nexus 7 are playing

Oh tell me more, I still have a raspberry pi in its little box, only put rasberium on it to try it out.

Oh tell me more, I still have a raspberry pi in its little box, only put rasberium on it to try it out.

It is a practically out of the box setup. I am using Rasbmc and it is flying away. I just downloaded the official remote from the Android store and away I went. I do get the odd error message about passwords, but if you just click OK it is fine. The official remote worked fine with it on both the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 4.

There seems to be enough power from the Palm charger I am using to power a usb stick also, so I am able to read files from there or just use SSH and Filezilla to drop files onto the 16GB Class 10 SD card I am using. I have not paid the few pounds / euros for the video licensing and am not sure what I would need it for yet. Google shall be my friend at some stage on that one :)

anyone hearing a clicking noise when making a call?

Something like this:

http://mashable.com/2012/11/25/google-nexus-4-defect/

its quite annoying to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Received mine this evening - very fast! A little lighter than I was expecting but I'll get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Anybody rooted theirs yet? I'm thinking of getting it out of the way now so I don't lose months of data down the line.

Any way to make sure I don't lose my progress in games and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Has anybody noticed a slight flex in the plastic at the bottom edge by the microphone?

TPD wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed a slight flex in the plastic at the bottom edge by the microphone?

Not there but I have some flex just above the volume buttons. Not a big deal for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Interesting read on one apple fan boy's move to the nexus 4

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely

Must say I'm loving the performance of mine.

Anyone put a ROM on yet? It was real easy to root it with the nexus 4 toolkit from XDA.

I like the look of the paranoid android one that let's you use the tablet UI or a mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Got my nexus 4 last night. Girlfriends parents brought it back from the states for me. Loving it so far and a big step up from my Nexus S.

Just wondering where people have bought bumpers? The official LG one on ebay is extortionate and i don't fancy the full gel cases. Any idea on where to buy a nice black bumper for it?

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Got my nexus 4 last night. Girlfriends parents brought it back from the states for me. Loving it so far and a big step up from my Nexus S.

Just wondering where people have bought bumpers? The official LG one on ebay is extortionate and i don't fancy the full gel cases. Any idea on where to buy a nice black bumper for it?

I got the bumper and used it for a while but it makes it feel big and its too nice a phone without it so I stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I got the bumper and used it for a while but it makes it feel big and its too nice a phone without it so I stopped using it.

I agree but i'm to afraid i'll drop it and break the glass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

just sending this TTT as it looks like lots of us are about to get our new phones.

What cases has anyone got on order?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

MiCr0 wrote: »
    just sending this TTT as it looks like lots of us are about to get our new phones.

What cases has anyone got on order?

I ordered this. Took about a week to arrive from the US and cost about €14 inc delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I picked up a couple from http://tpu-cases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=46_76
    Very similar to few others I picked up on amazon UK and DX

Advertisement