Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I bought my Hero sim free online from the UK, with no branding, and I use it on Vodafone. I performed the initial firmware upgrade back in September through the HTC website, but I was looking at the latest Desire upgrade on their support section, which says that T-mobile will alert you that an OTA upgrade is available in order to upgrade, and you can't download through their website.

I presume I won't be getting any notification of an OTA upgrade from Vodafone, and so I don't know if it will be available to me........after holding off rooting it for so long, may have to bite the bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

As regards the potential of 2.1 making the phone un-rootable are people in the know going to reject the OTA update? I'm guessing this is the way to go as you'll be able to update manually on htc.com if you then so desire

flugel wrote: »
    As regards the potential of 2.1 making the phone un-rootable are people in the know going to reject the OTA update? I'm guessing this is the way to go as you'll be able to update manually on htc.com if you then so desire

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't download the updates which are provided OTA from htc.com, so far the only OTA updates they have released are for the Desire and Nexus One, and there is no link to download these on HTC's website, just instructions how to download them when you get notified that the OTA update is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Zagato wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can't download the updates which are provided OTA from htc.com, so far the only OTA updates they have released are for the Desire and Nexus One, and there is no link to download these on HTC's website, just instructions how to download them when you get notified that the OTA update is available.

The update will go onto htc.com eventually. It is rolled out OTA first to a number of users at a time to make sure there are no major issues. Then when it is released fully it gets put online. It just means it will take longer for it to appear online. There are a couple of timetables around the net outlining the OTA roll out process but they are all pretty much based on rumors and speculation.

Dang. Really confused as to what to do now. Don't want to install OTA update if it means never being able to root phone, but want to try out official update at the same time!

• Advertisement

cf_al_bs wrote: »
    The update will go onto htc.com eventually. It is rolled out OTA first to a number of users at a time to make sure there are no major issues. Then when it is released fully it gets put online. It just means it will take longer for it to appear online. There are a couple of timetables around the net outlining the OTA roll out process but they are all pretty much based on rumors and speculation.

I'm not so sure, all the previous updates have been put up on htc.com as soon as available :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrohbaron

yeah, that's pretty much it.
    http://translate.googleusercontent.c...x1r3pdihoacm2Q

HTC just think about money, their customer service is just terrible. They never give straight answers.
    Seriously thinking about sell my Hero and buy the Desire.

FFS. I'm leaning closer and closer to attempting a root now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

yeah, that's pretty much it.
    http://translate.googleusercontent.c...x1r3pdihoacm2Q

HTC just think about money, their customer service is just terrible. They never give straight answers.
    Seriously thinking about sell my Hero and buy the Desire.

No better way to teach a company a lesson than going out any buying another one of their products.......

On a related note, I will be rooting today...........

It seems the Desire is selling like hot cakes, I wonder how long before the Evo comes out over here in some form and everyone gives out about HTC not telling us sooner?

On a related note, I will be rooting today...........

Have you decided on a rom yourself? started looking at some recently, find it somewhat confusing. Reckon i'll just have to take the leap tho, appears rooting is going to be the only way to keep the hero updated anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

so there no release then i take it?

hows much does the desire cost on prepaid?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

neacy69 wrote: »
    so there no release then i take it?

hows much does the desire cost on prepaid?

Lots id guess. Its €210 on the cheapest Bill plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

flugel wrote: »
    Have you decided on a rom yourself? started looking at some recently, find it somewhat confusing. Reckon i'll just have to take the leap tho, appears rooting is going to be the only way to keep the hero updated anyways.

Rooting is fierce handy to do, I was in the same boat as you before I done it. I used this guide if it helps http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/. I tried a couple of different 2.1 ROM's but I found villainrom the best http://villainrom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=52cbd65a805bd55eaebd32107d89cbf5

mooman wrote: »
    Rooting is fierce handy to do, I was in the same boat as you before I done it. I used this guide if it helps http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/. I tried a couple of different 2.1 ROM's but I found villainrom the best http://villainrom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=52cbd65a805bd55eaebd32107d89cbf5

i'll try suss it out this weekend, i'm sure i'll be back here with plenty of questions when i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Right im done with waiting for HTC

Rooting advice? checking that unlockr link now

Right im done with waiting for HTC

Rooting advice? checking that unlockr link now

Let us know how you get on:)

im struggling to backup all my contact details before doing it

any suggestions

Your contacts should be synced with your google account, just check your Gmail contacts beforehand to make sure

Nope, already checked that, didnt happen

turns out its because half my contacts are under the contact type of "PHONE" meaning they dont get synced

so i went googling, have just found an app called Contact Sync which has Merged all PHONE contacts into the GOOGLE contact type

This now should in theory mean in 5 or 10 minutes my contacts will be safely stowed away on google. i'll report back if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I am on 2.73.405.66 firmware and jeebus is it a chore to Root..........Goldcard this, install that, reformat every-other.....

• Advertisement

I send HTC another support request this morning

this is the responce
    Hi Aidan, thanks for your email.

I do not know what my colleagues have been saying recently, but since the beginning of march, the official statement that we were given for this question has not changed.

The update is due to roll out over FOTA at the end of April. Now obviously due to the number of devices, not everyone will get it at once. And the networks will be getting it a few days after the generic devices, but the process is going to start in the next 2 weeks.

The information we have been given here at support in Europe has not changed since march. I can only apologise if my colleagues were still using incorrect information or speculating rather than following the information they had been given.

The update will be with you very shortly.

Best regards,
    Pete W
    HTC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I send HTC another support request this morning

this is the responce

I really hope it happens.... heh only another two weeks or so to wait. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Tis a sad day. The digitiser (screen) on my Hero shattered today. Still usable but the glass is splintering.

Has anybody any experience in replacing this?
    Sourcing?
    Cost?
    Ease of replacing?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Check this page out. Its for a different HTC phone, but should give you an indication of what the disassembly process is like. Looks like replacement screens can be found on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Thanks,

Checked out a few different tutorials. Seems straight forward enough..
    Prices for new screens are about €60.
    Might pop in a mobile repair shop on the way home and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

this might be a dumb question but i am a bit confused. a few of my friends have iphones and they dont pay anything extra to go on the internet so why do people get data plans?
    is it free because they are using a wifi network? so if i bought a hero with a data plan (looking a the new one from 3, only €5) could i go on the internet whenever i wanted or would i still need to be within a wifi zone?

Hi sparkie,

Your iphone-wielding friends are in a special contract and pay a fixed price to O2/Vodafone every month (€45 or more). This bundle price includes X minutes, X texts, and a data package that allows internet access.

To use internet over wifi is free.

so what about itouch's? they dont have a contract and they can get on the internet, i guess that must me wifi then.
    so with a data add on i could go on the internet anywhere?

thanks for the help.

The itouch doesn't have a sim card, so a data package doesn't apply. You use wifi to access the internet on it.

Yes, with a data package you can go on the internet anywhere. I've had data turned on now for 3 weeks straight, and I've only used 8% of my allowance.

Beware using it abroad though - roaming rates are pretty pricy.

• Advertisement

so 250mb should be loads. i assume there is a way to just switch to wifi on the hero so when i am away i dont get hit by any nasty surprise bills.

Advertisement