Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Festival Survival Kit/Essentials

• 15-07-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Long story but I'm going to my first ever festival next month. It's V so in the UK so flying Ryanair. Going with a friend from the UK so she has all the practical stuff sorted, tent etc but I have never been camping in my life, have never been to a festival and agreed to this in a moment of madness.

I've heard wellies and baby wipes are essentials. Would hope sunscreen is too. But what else? All tips appreciated! Have to stay within the carry on limit too...double stress!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Bring as little as possible, the less stuff you bring, the less you need to worry about.

Also, only bring expendable stuff (where possible), old clothes, no watches, jewellery etc and an old phone if you have one. Stuff gets lost and stolen at festivals, best if it's not going to ruin the festival for you if it happens.

Bin bags, toilet paper, plastic bottle and spare clothes in a waterproof bag come in handy too.

Also, bring your own torch, even if your friend is going to have one. Preferably one that fits comfortably enough in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

Dry shampoo can be a life (hair) saver by that third night!

I would advise bring not only your own booze for the campsite but also what ever hangover cures your accustomed to. The shop in there will be a rip off.. I always find at festivals my hungover desire for cola and orange juice costs me more than the night before!

Try bring everything in one easy big backpack rather than lots of small bags, or your arms might fall off looking for that best place to camp!

Also, where you pitch your tent is important, go by better the devil you know and pitch you tent in a cramped area where you can see the people already there (and you like the look of them). Otherwise you go for a nice spacious area and by 11pm your surrounded by annoying feckers playing soccer outside your tent at 6am the next day (I speak from experience! :D ).

If your feeling paranoid about the people around you breaking into your tent, say goodbye to an imaginary friend staying back in your tent... maybe a step too far but I always do it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Will actually be working for one day of the festival so camping in the staff campsite which I hope is a good thing. There will be four of us in the tent, including a guy (friend's brother) so hopefully will feel safer.

Because I'm flying Ryanair, am planning a supermarket trip en route for all the essential liquids including booze. Will add dry shampoo to that list.

It's exciting and terrifying at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Bring a pillow case. Stuff a bunch of clothes in it and it's a make-shift pillow...ta-da!

Insect repellent. I always get bitten alive at festivals.

Bring LOADS of socks. Tights are handy too. You can carry them around in your bag if it's too hot and then put then on under shorts/skirts/dresses at night. Don't bring jeans. If it rains they'll take forever to dry. Layering is where it's at!

A torch is a MUST!

Maybe a solar powered phone charger if you can get one. Or a spare battery. Although if you're working there you'll probably have access to electricity. One of the perks of working at festivals :D

You'll have great fun! Wish I was going to a festival abroad this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

At Oxegen a couple of years ago my friend managed to bring a tin foil blanket thing to sleep in, it kept her nicely toasty as the nights were cold and damp. Not sure where you'd get one though.

A mini torch is actually a lifesaver when you're rooting around the tent at night :)

A couple of plastic bottles for mixing drinks, and some cereal bars or something else to stave off hunger without having to pay ridiculous festival prices.

A bajillion pairs of thick socks. Jeans are kind of a no-go if it rains, as they'll just stay damp and heavy. Shorts or a skirt or dress with tights and socks are the way to go.

Oh, and a plastic poncho if you can get one! You think you'll want to look glam all the time, but by the end of the weekend you probably won't give a damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

In a separate bin bag wrap up the clothes that you'll be going home that way they'll be dry and clean.

Baby wipes
    Bin Liners (To put in the dirty clothes etc.)
    Travel Toothbrush
    Instead of toothpaste try Lush Toothy Tabs they are brilliant!
    Travel size deodorant
    Brush!!
    Extra socks (I hate me feet being wet)
    Hoodies/raincoat
    Tinted moisturizer instead of foundation
    Hair Bobbins
    Wellies

I'd try not to bring anything expensive but phone with spare battery if possible, camera.
    I store money in a few places like in my sock in case of losing it.

That's all I can think of now.

Guys you are amazing, lots of things there I wouldn't have thought of, thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Can you leave your passport in your friend's house and bring an alternative ID for entry/buying drinks? You don't want to lose it and not be able to get home!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LiaLia basically said what I was thinking about tights! Just chuck them away if they get wet, put on a new pair. You can wear dresses and shorts with or without tights, more practical than jeans. Best to wear socks with them if wearing wellies though.

I always find it's fairly cold at night time when camping and would bring tracksuit bottoms for sleeping in.

Bin-liners are another definite for bringing clothes home, storing muddy wellies at night and even to sit on if needs be!

Baby wipes, hand sanitiser, sun cream, raincoat, sunglasses, small bag for phone/money/camera. Foodwise, things like cereal bars and crisps are handy to munch on.

• Advertisement

EmilyO wrote: »
    Can you leave your passport in your friend's house and bring an alternative ID for entry/buying drinks? You don't want to lose it and not be able to get home!

Can't do that alas as I need Government issued ID for checking in for work shift - stops people sneaking in for free pretending to be genuine workers I guess. I have a pacsafe bag with a shoulder strap that I was planning on keeping that stuff in..it's designed to be uncuttable so supposed to be safer. Watertight too.

Had been planning to bring jeans so will definitely swap for shorts/skirts and tights.

Thanks for the food tips too, we will have 4 nights on site so definitely will bring cereal bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

athtrasna wrote: »
    Had been planning to bring jeans so will definitely swap for shorts/skirts and tights.

Yeah your better off! Mud soaked jeans is a b!tch! They will weigh you down and just feel horrible in general. If you want something longer than shorts then bring stretchy leggings, easier to take of and very light.

Can't do that alas as I need Government issued ID for checking in for work shift - stops people sneaking in for free pretending to be genuine workers I guess. I have a pacsafe bag with a shoulder strap that I was planning on keeping that stuff in..it's designed to be uncuttable so supposed to be safer. Watertight too.

Take care of it with your dear life! We were at the festival in Denmark a few years ago and one of the girls that was with us lost her passport. And cards etc.. Had to go to the Irish Embassy in Copenhagen to sort out an emergency passport :o

Pretty much everything has already been mentioned.
    I have a pacsafe bag with a shoulder strap that I was planning on keeping that stuff in..it's designed to be uncuttable so supposed to be safer. Watertight too.

Thanks for the food tips too, we will have 4 nights on site so definitely will bring cereal bars.

I'd always bring one of those small drawstring bags with a zip on the front with me. A small pack of handwipes, a handful of toilet tissue and a torch in the drawstring part, passport, phone and money in the zip part in a ziplock bag and I wear it with the zip facing my back. It's flat and small enough that I can dance around in a tight crowd without it hindering me, but with the zip against my back I'd know if anyone was trying to get at it. It can't be grabbed either because it goes over both shoulders. Always keep your passport, phone and money on you. That way no matter what happens you'll be sorted.

As already said, jeans are definitely a no no, and tights are very handy as they dry out so fast, but still bring plenty of socks with you. You'll need them so your feet will fit in your wellies properly, and they'll help keep you warm.

I always bring some carbohydrate-y and some fruity snacks as it's nice to have something filling in the morning but also something to get the stale beer taste out of your mouth (toothpaste never does enough!). Some peanuts and some kids dried fruit snacks do the trick.

A small bottle of water comes in handy for brushing your teeth or rinsing off stuff (the water there will cost you an arm and a leg).

I prefer handwipes instead of hand sanitiser as often there's not just bacterial dirt but actual dirt and you need something to get it off. Tesco do great handwipes that are small enough to carry around easily and have one rough side. You'd be glad of them when you're coming out of a portaloo, as well as a small amount of toilet tissue just in case. A big pack of regular babywipes can be left in the tent for cleaning stuff or the occasional baby-wipe-shower.

Bring lots and lots of black bags, you can use them for everything - waterproofing, sitting on, wrapping up clothes, a bin for beside the tent, etc. etc.

I also always bring some duct tape with me just in case, but I've never ended up needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I also always bring some duct tape with me just in case, but I've never ended up needing it.

:eek: what ever for?!

tinkerbell wrote: »
    :eek: what ever for?!

The fear of a leaky tent!

I don't mind getting wet, but I can't stand the idea of a wet tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ilyana wrote: »
    At Oxegen a couple of years ago my friend managed to bring a tin foil blanket thing to sleep in, it kept her nicely toasty as the nights were cold and damp. Not sure where you'd get one though.

Apologies for posting in your forum.

You can get them in outdoors shops. The type of places that sell snow, camping and hiking gear. Without doubt the best thing ive ever brought to a festival. They get so warm you sweat underneath it and you eventually need a bit of cool air. I think they cost around €5.

Even if you dont get one, get a bit of tin foil, put it on top of your head and put a hat on it. It will keep you very warm at night.

Thanks for the tip, only a week to go. Still terrified and excited but in equal quantities now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Dioralyte and Alka Seltzer!

Glowsticks.

Oooh loads on this site The Ultimate Packing List

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If your welly boots are brand new, bring blister plasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Passport & any other important things into this > http://www.vfestival.com/tickets/lockerhouse/

MadsL wrote: »
    Passport & any other important things into this > http://www.vfestival.com/tickets/lockerhouse/

Yes, have one booked :)

Oooh loads on this site The Ultimate Packing List

Would you be arsed bringing all that?! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Small lock for the tent and some spare bottle caps as they always throw them away if you buy bottles of water etc inside the festival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Most of the big stuff has already been covered but:

Don't bring a regular torch, bring a headtorch instead. Much handier when rooting round the tent (or doing anything really) because you can use both hands and also you can generally tie the headstrap to the inside of the tent so you'll have a ceiling light.

As someone already said, a poncho is dead handy as well, especially if it rains a lot. I don't tend to go to festivals very often but I never do anything outdoorsy without my bundswehr poncho.
    No seams and no zips means a 5e poncho can be as water proof as a really expensive rain jacket. It won't be as breathable but it's flouncy so that's not so much of an issue. You can also use it as a groundsheet to sit on outside, or as a makeshift means of patching up a damaged tent or a thousand other uses really (a decent poncho can also be used as a stretcher, a rain-water collection tool or a makeshift shelter but generally music festivals don't get quite that wild).

Make sure the tent you're going to be living in is a proper one with a separate inner sheet as well. The single layer ones you can get in tesco and dunnes (although tesco do a good tent as well as a crappy one) get absolutely sodden with condensation very quickly. A mummy sleeping bag (one that wraps around your head) will also be a lot cosier than the standard folded blanket type.

Just a quick thanks to everyone for all the great tips on here. Home this evening after an amazing weekend. Was slightly spoiled in that the staff campsite was less crazy than the other ones, we had quite a few showers and even had flushing toilets and sinks with water in them.

The lockerhouse locker was a lifesaver for documents and charging my phone. The one mistake I made was relying on my phone to be phone and camera...bad for battery!

I brought most of the stuff recommended. The things I wouldn't have thought of without this thread were the sleeping mask (vital given the bright morning sun) and having a clean set of clothes in a bag for travelling home today. The site was muddy as hell packing up this morning so I was able to de-festivalise in the airport to make myself look a little more presentable ;)

You guys were such a great help, all the suggestions genuinely helped me to have one of the best weekends ever!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Would you be arsed bringing all that?! :/

Well I wasn't gonna leave home without my pocket knife and hammer... wtf? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Small lock for the tent

A bit late for the OP but I would have thought a lock for the tent would just mean that it would get cut open if somebody wanted to get in. Better not to lock it and leave nothing of value inside.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Small lock for the tent

A bit late for the OP but I would have thought a lock for the tent would just mean that it would get cut open if somebody wanted to get in. Better not to lock it and leave nothing of value inside.

We didn't lock the tent. The staff campsite was relatively safe and we were in a line with the security tower so had no issues

Advertisement