Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things To Do In Bundoran

• 20-07-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭

Hi folks myself and my wife and son are heading to Bundoran in a couple of weeks for a week. We are staying in the Summerhill Apartments which I know is very central
    Can people give us ideas on what to do, especially with the little fella (he is nearly 3).
    We have a car at our disposal so we arent restricted to Bundoran, we are there Sat - Sat so any nearby festivals would be great. Can anyone also recommend a good Indian restaurant in Bundoran

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Which weekend is it that you are around? Over the next few weeks there are a few festivals around the county so narrowing it down would help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

danniemcq wrote: »
    Which weekend is it that you are around? Over the next few weeks there are a few festivals around the county so narrowing it down would help
    We get there the 9th

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

For 25 yrs I have been to Bundoran 5-6 times a yr, only up the road from me,whilst I was growing up.Bundoran essientially is a small town. Its like one main street with a few lefts and rights but not much down them. It has grown alot in the last 10 years, after they realised it was becoming touristy, so they capitalised on that. It is well known for those slot machines venues, where people of every age/sex play for hhhhooooouuurrrrrsss!!! Also in these buildings are some racing games, motorbiking and try and get the teddy machines,these are all to cater for the younger generation. But considering your child is 3,he would be too young for most. If you make your way to waterworld which is directionaly behind the main street where the beach is, there is an all year round carnival, this place has a section that is only for younger kids,so there might be some enjoyment there. The beach too is always an option, but I have never in all my years seen anybody swimming there, just surfers. Also it would not be considered a sun-bathing beach. But a walk on the beach there, which has vasts amounts of peri-winkles, mussels etc could be good to show your child how they wash up and are edible,bit educational (sorry i dont have kids,so just trying to remember what my parents done with me)...They did build a nice park recently on the left as you come near the main street. Would be ideal for stroll or picnic. Food wise during the day, there is alot of self-owned cafes, not alot of seats in any, as they tend to be small cafes. All basically with similar menus unfortunately i.e sandwiches,rolls,burger+chips etc. There is no big branded shops of any kind, so I believe the cafe owners get enough business that they feel they dont need to go "out there" with their food,so the range of cafes basically serve the same food. That is not meant to be a negative comment, just an observation. Indian,Chinese restaurants seem to pop up all the time,there for awhile&then close. And then another would pop up. Best to check menupages.ie if there is one there currently. Also there is a nice,safe playground built specially for younger children beside waterworld. Thats all i can think of for now, hope it helps. This is just my view,Im not here to offend anyone living there with anything that I may have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

There's a cinema behind the main street, just follow that wee lane beside Summerhill Apartments and you'll see it.

Behind the cinema there's an Indian restaurant called Monsoon Valley that was still open when last I was home. Can't comment on quality as I've never had anything from it.

Also behind the cinema there's a place called Dizzy's Den which is like a play area for small kids. I'm not sure on age suitability but could be worth checking out.

As mentioned above, Waterworld has a kiddie's section.

If you're looking to bring the wife out for a romantic dinner at any point you should go to the Courthouse a couple of minutes out the road in Kinlough, it's fantastic. While out that direction follow the Melvin Drive (or something along those lines) for some amazing scenery.

See here for a list of upcoming events: http://www.discoverbundoran.com/events/

There's a tourist office on the main street, it's a round, glass walled building just at the east side of the bridge which could be worth checking out for local sites and sounds.

Also, you must get 99s from the American House (at the bridge).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Anytime I'm home I order Monsoon Valley!! Their McLeod curry is amazing!

Also drop into cafe Ceylon on main st for a curry chip, good old school curry chips!

Fook I'm either homesick or hungry!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another +1 for the Courthouse in Kinlough, really is very good.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

there is water world , a fun fair , arcade tip thing , beach, brave few shops , an antique shop if your in too that , shark fishing, fishing, there is music in pubs a brave bit too thats about it....... but most people love it atm its full of the northern crowd

jhon boy wrote: »
    there is water world , a fun fair , arcade tip thing , beach, brave few shops , an antique shop if your in too that , shark fishing, fishing, there is music in pubs a brave bit too thats about it....... but most people love it atm its full of the northern crowd
    No being smart but 'brave'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhon boy

lol a brave it means a fair bit lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Best cinema in Ireland in bundoran IMO. Friendliest, cleanest and most comfortable I've been in. Very affordable too if you go for afternoon films.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

There's great fossils to be seen over on the diving rock side of the town beach. Can't help just tripping over the crinoid layers (not a variety of hen). Beautiful, like someone has emptied the contents of a garage floor over the carboniferous limestone beds.

Also, that beach has very warm water, probably the reason for its popularity in the oldendaze, before the slot machines took over the town's reputation.

I was looking at the town on google earth, i didnt realise how close the summerhill apartments are to everything, the cinema is right behind us and the amusements are literally a stones throw
    Thanks to everyone for the tips, cant wait for Saturday now

One last thing, what pub would have the best Guinness

Thanks

Railway Bar & The Bridge Bar would be my choices for drinks. I am not a Guinness drinker but when I bring mates home they tell me the Guinness in these bars is as good as you will find.

However if you want the best pint of Guinness in the northwest then go to Brennans Bar on the main st. Its about a min walk from The Railway and is a proper old world pub, a very unique spot!! If you go tell Nan & Pat I said hello!!

That sounds like my kind of pub!

What are teac sean rua, 51 main street and the chasin bull like?

The Bull is a good lively spot but not a place if you want a quiet drink. Good for live bands, banter etc.Crowd can be young on a weekend. Good place to watch footy(both kinds)

As for the other two you mentioned 51 main street is stuck in 1985 and I have no clue where the other place is, been over a year since I was back.

the other one is next door to the chasin bull on google earth

Sean ruas was formerly known as whistling oyster. Still owned by the McGarrigles. The bull wouldnt be a place to bring a toddler. Sean ruas would be fine. Best pint is Brennans. Maddens serves a few different beers and food is good too. The holyrood and possibly birds nest will have family entertainment in the evening. You will see the car with speaker going around the town.

Monsoon valley is a decent indian restaurant. Dizzys den beside it and both are behind cinema.

If it's a nice day head to Kinlough. Turn left at the post office and about 150mts ahead is turn for lough melvin car park. Playpark and different trails through the woods leading to the lake.

Bundoran beach is fine for a swim. Juat stay between the flags.

Enjoy your stay but most of all........

Bring the sunshine with you!!!

• Advertisement

Well, Ill be in the railway bar at 6 for the match so if you see a fella with a beer belly in a dubs jersey say hello and we have a pint!
    Bundoran Beers!

Just back after a great week. Made the railway bar my watering hole for the week and found the locals very friendly. Had problems with the cleanliness of the apartment in summerhill and had to move after we found blood all over the wall in the bathroom.
    Found the food ok (patricias was poor) but the holyrood was good.
    We definitely will be back.
    Thanks to everyone for the recommendations

Advertisement