Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One long journey every 4-5 weeks, would I be a candidate for diesel?

• 04-02-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭

Currently driving a thirsty petrol motor, I do mainly short trips around town but at least once every five weeks I do a nonstop 170 kms journey down the country and back, most of it along motorways. That's 340 kms in one day in a round trip, I mention this because I've seen in other threads that the DPF doesn't like all short trips. Would diesel be right for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

coylemj wrote: »
    Currently driving a thirsty petrol motor, I do mainly short trips around town but at least once every five weeks I do a nonstop 170 kms journey down the country and back, most of it along motorways. That's 340 kms in one day in a round trip, I mention this because I've seen in other threads that the DPF doesn't like all short trips. Would diesel be right for me?

No!

the "long trip" amounts to c4k kms per year, so you would need to be doing another 15-18k per year to warrant a diesel imo.

Also, diesels are not suited to mainly town driving, especially newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

However there shouldn't be problems with DPF in that case, as wherever is got stock during city driving, it would clear during that 340km drive every few weeks, provided you would drive fast enough ;)

Advertisement