Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swine Flu outbreak in the Rotunda

Options
  • 16-12-2010 4:02pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=18371
    The Rotunda Hospital in Dublin has introduced visitor restrictions with immediate effect, following an outbreak of swine flu.

It is understood that five pregnant women at the hospital have contracted the illness. The hospital is investigating whether the women had the H1N1 virus before they were admitted or whether they caught it in the hospital.

"Visiting is restricted to the partner (or one nominated visitor) of expectant/new mothers and gynaecology inpatients and to the parents of infants in the Neonatal Unit. No children should be brought into the hospital," a spokesperson said.

Outpatient clinics will run as normal.

Meanwhile, the hospital's master, Dr Sam Coulter Smith, urged all pregnant women to get the seasonal flu vaccine if they have not done so already. This year's seasonal vaccine also protects against swine flu.

He added that the five affected women were recovering well and no babies have so far been infected.

The HSE launched its seasonal flu vaccine campaign in October, urging all at risk groups, including pregnant women and those who have recently given birth, to get vaccinated.

The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists also urged pregnant women to get vaccinated. It noted that during the 2009 swine flu pandemic, pregnant women and those who had given birth within the previous six weeks were at a higher risk of complications from the virus.

Pregnant women who contracted swine flu were also more likely to require hospitalisation and admission to intensive care units. There was also a risk of adverse perinatal outcomes and delivery complications.

Holy sh1t :eek: I'm freaking out, I'm waiting to go into labour any time now and I'm attending here :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Try to stay calm and relax, hopefully both you and the baby will be fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They put in place these restrictions at this time of year due to various outbreaks. Try not to worry. The best place to be with the flu when pregnant is in the hospital as they can monitor your temperature etc.

If it wasn't flu it would be a bug or something, which was how it was when I was in last year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm going to my Doctor this evening to get vaccinated.. Anyone know how long it takes to kick in and if the baby will also be immune after it??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

got mine today was told it could be two weeks before it kicks in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't worry,it is common knowledge now that they have an outbreak so they can isolate it.
    It would be worse going in before they knew.
    I hope none of our ladies here are affected.

The worst thing for me would be my toddler could not come visit me:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

I had the vaccination back in October but I was quite surprised by how little it was pushed. Both the midwives and my GP had leaflets lying around but I had to bring it up with both of them.

No visitors is really tough (but neccessary of course). I was already hoping to do Early Transfer Home, this has just made me more determined.

PopUp wrote: »
    I had the vaccination back in October but I was quite surprised by how little it was pushed. Both the midwives and my GP had leaflets lying around but I had to bring it up with both of them.

No visitors is really tough (but neccessary of course). I was already hoping to do Early Transfer Home, this has just made me more determined.
    I was never offered it either.. In fairness, it didn't really occur to me to ask for it either seeing as it had seemed to disappear..

Infact I was only in the Rotunda yesterday and was looking at the posters, which were obviously there since the initial outbreak and thinking how lucky we were that it was gone :(

I think I jinxed us :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm going to my Doctor this evening to get vaccinated.. Anyone know how long it takes to kick in and if the baby will also be immune after it??

It actually takes a few weeks to take affect so it won't really take affect on the baby. However it is still a good idea for you and your partner to get it as you'll be in most contact with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I got it done today after hearing the news this morning - got charged €20 though. Was hoping becuase I was pregnant it'd be free. 20 yoyos is not too bad I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was in the Coombe in February when the restrictions were in place the last time, those five woman will be in isolation away from the rest of the patients in the hospital now that they know they have the virus.

I remember being at an antenatal appointment and a woman walking in with a mask on her face and into a room, she came out and two cleaners went in and scrubbed the place from top to bottom, they're taking no chances.

The hospital is very quiet without visitors and while it was hard not being able to see Addison for the five days it was for the best as I'd never of forgiven myself if she came to the hospital and gotten the virus. My mum and dad were itching to meet Saoirse though and were a bit put out that they couldn't visit!

You'll be fine. It takes two weeks for the vaccination to take full effect so won't be any good for baby but you can get baby vaccinated when it's here safe and sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It actually takes a few weeks to take affect so it won't really take affect on the baby. However it is still a good idea for you and your partner to get it as you'll be in most contact with the baby.

Breastfeeding will transfer immunity- here in the USA they really push the vaccine, and my doctor also said one reason to breastfeed is if you are only getting the flu shot at birth (they offer it if you haven't had it), breastfeeding will keep baby immune for the first 6 months until s/he can get the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

PopUp wrote: »

No visitors is the best thing ever! I thought it would be awful not being able to have visitors after I had Megan in January, but it was actually lovely to have those few days to bond before the madness when we came home. It was during the bad snow too so even daddy couldn't get in one day!

I was encouraged to have the swne flu vaccine by both my GP and my Obs. My Ons actually emailled me lots of information as like most women, I was very unsure.

I ended up having to wait 3 weeks to get the vaccine in the end as I became ill and actually could've had swine flu! I was never tested for it, but my GP said it was most likely what I had - I was quite fluey and it really affected my chest.

Anyway, both myself and my baba were and are fine. Apparently having the vaccine when you are pregnant will provide the baby with 6 months immunity, and breastfeeding will enforce this immunity.

No visitors is the best thing ever! I thought it would be awful not being able to have visitors after I had Megan in January, but it was actually lovely to have those few days to bond before the madness when we came home..

Yeah, I'm not too upset about this either tbh.. I was actually dreading having to pull myself together for visitors possibly hours after giving birth, this gives me a bit more time to flake out with baby and daddy, just the 3 of us :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the girlfriend got the Flu Vacinne a few weeks ago, had terrible flu symtons for 2 days afterwards.......anyhow,

were due in the Rotunda tomorrow for our second scan (approx 22 weeks), are we ok to go yeah?

kceire wrote: »
    the girlfriend got the Flu Vacinne a few weeks ago, had terrible flu symtons for 2 days afterwards.......anyhow,

were due in the Rotunda tomorrow for our second scan (approx 22 weeks), are we ok to go yeah?

We rang them this evening and they said that it had been contained and it was perfectly safe to go in, business as usual and all that..

And if your gf had the vaccine weeks ago then she will be fine.. Best of luck with your scan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

kceire wrote: »

Yeah you're fine to go, any mention of flu by anyone will be taken seriously and they'll be put in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Thankfully I had the jab in October as my gp recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Fingers crossed my OH won't get it! She is due in 4 weeks in the Rotunda and does not want to have swine flu jab. (as she believes there is not enough data to prove its safe for unborn...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had the swine flu jab last year when pregnant with my son, had the flu jab last Tuesday - as far as I know they have been giving the flu jab for years to pregnant women in the US. Xzanti - please relax - you and baby will be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cheers guys, she got the scan done yesterday no probs.
    seemly the outbreak has been contained etc

22 weeks and 2 days gone, dimensions and proportions are all perfect they say and s/he weighs i pound one ounce :)

please god everything goes ok from now on too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement