Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God in Buddism?

• 13-03-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there a God in Buddism ?

In most of the religions of the world there is a God or some sort of overall presence which gives direction and a goal. I dont see this in Buddism.

What is the final state for a buddist ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'll answer these as best I can :)
    DinoBot wrote:
    Is there a God in Buddism ?
    No - Buddhism itself does not require that you believe in any God. Nor does it require that you don't believe in a god. Buddhism is more of a set of guidelines or a philosophy than a Religion as we understand the word.
    In most of the religions of the world there is a God or some sort of overall presence which gives direction and a goal. I dont see this in Buddism.
    This has been discussed in round about ways on this forum before. What is our goal and direction? I think the difference between Buddhism and something like Christianity is that Christianity (and many other faiths) would like you to believe they have the answers to these seemingly unanswerable questions.

Buddhism, on the other hand, does not suggest you believe anything simply because it came from the mouth or the pen of any person or divenity. Instead these questions are acknowledged as being very interesting and important and also worthy of great contemplation and discussion. There are no rules or dogma, only ideas and proven methods for descovering the answers for yourself.
    What is the final state for a buddist ?
    Many (but not all) Buddhists believe in some forum of reincarnation while we perfect our souls and ready ourselves for 'Nirvana' - the afterlife. Others could maybe answer this question better than I.

Here's some threads from this forum which may help to answer these questions also :
    left the raft in the river.
    Buddhism: Religion or Philosophy?.
    What dos it mean when we say to be awakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Goodshape wrote:
    Many (but not all) Buddhists believe in some forum of reincarnation while we perfect our souls and ready ourselves for 'Nirvana' - the afterlife. Others could maybe answer this question better than I.
    Buddhism doesn't have souls, though. Er, usually.
    Closest thing would be the true self as opposed to the lesser self.
    And because buddhists do not, as a whole (I don't think I can speak for pure landers here) it's rebirth which happens.
    Nirvana is not the afterlife o.o

The "final state" is to become completely awakened. One usually vows to become as such out of compassion for living beings, to help stop their suffering. You just begin doing this by ceasing your own.

Is there a god? - in many traditions, the idea of a god or gods is irrelevant. Either they don't exist, or they do and are not worshiped. I'm pretty sure there are traditions which do worship as well though.
    Buddhism is more a philosophy than anything else, you could adapt most of it, if not all, into a theistic religion and practise both.

"In most of the religions of the world there is a God or some sort of overall presence which gives direction and a goal. I dont see this in Buddism."
    Buddhists aren't given direction, buddhists find their own. One of the main things about buddhism is that buddhists do not follow a teaching just because a so-called wise person said it. Buddhists judge for themselves what their direction is.
    As for a goal, well, to help cease suffering and increase compassion, bascially. To further that, enlightenment. The goal is not given, it is judged to be a good goal on one's own.
    Buddhism is more about taking responsibility for yourself and your actions, rather than "do this and good things will happen".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bluewolf wrote:
    Buddhism is more about taking responsibility for yourself and your actions, rather than "do this and good things will happen".

Great post bluewolf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Asiaprod wrote:
    Great post bluewolf.
    Thank you =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

So if there is no afterlife what is the purpose of it all ? Why bother to be awakened ?

Is there an overall plan and hence a planner of it all or do buddist accept that to think of such things is outside the scope of humans so its a waste of time.

DinoBot wrote:
    So if there is no afterlife what is the purpose of it all ? Why bother to be awakened ?
    The only "afterlife" is rebirth.
    Why bother? To stop suffering. What could have more point?
    Is there an overall plan and hence a planner of it all or do buddist accept that to think of such things is outside the scope of humans so its a waste of time.
    I'm not sure how to answer the overall plan bit.
    Maybe when I've more time. I'll think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

The original Buddha (Guatarma Siddharta) was a hindu and as such worshipped the hindu pantheon, after his enlightenment you could say that he recognised the divine source rather than any set of Gods. The Hindu minor god Buddha was the god of enlightenment or wisdom hence Siddharta came to be known by that name having achieved complete enlightenment as a living person.

I would disagree with bluewolf about Nirvana and souls. How can one be reincarnated without a soul (e.g. the lamas of Tibet)? Nirvana is where the soul goes once perfected, the rebirths or reincarnation continue until that point when the soul is ready to return to the source of the universe/God.

I suggest the best thing to do is read the original teachings of the man himself translated into English - Darmapada (Penguin Books).

http://www.electricpublications.com

I would disagree with bluewolf about Nirvana and souls. How can one be reincarnated without a soul (e.g. the lamas of Tibet)?
    One can't. That's why in most cases it's rebirth, which does not presuppose a soul. Only thing carried on is excess karma and the "greater self".
    I did say "usually" - I can't speak for tibetan since I don't know enough about it
    Nirvana is where the soul goes once perfected, the rebirths or reincarnation continue until that point when the soul is ready to return to the source of the universe/God.
    No, that's more like Moksha. Nirvana I would regard as getting rid of the lesser self and being left only with the greater. There's no soul.
    It's a pretty important aspect of most traditions.
    I don't think theravada agree with the greater/lesser self bit though.

Perhaps this will help:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/nshell09.htm

Advertisement