Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family break in Donegal

• 24-06-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

We a planning a family break in Donegal for 5 nights in August.Could anyone recommend a nice hotel (kid friendly).Any part of Donegal .We have never been and always said we would like to visit and see the place.Somewhere scenic and near the coast but with a few things and places to bring the 2 kids who are aged 7 and 4.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some good info contained in the links posted in this thread :)

Its hard to advise anyone where to stay as it depends on whether you intend staying close to the hotel most of the time or are heading off on day trips to different parts of the county.

It's a big county with a lot to see. Maybe Inishowen (North East peninsula) could be a good choice as you arent far from a couple of the bigger towns like Buncrana, Carndonagh etc and the you are probably within 30 - 40 minutes drive from Derry where there are lots of shops and other things to do for a day out. The drawback is that its quite a distance if you wanted to see/travel other parts of the county.

You could consider staying around Donegal Town, Ballybofey/Stranorlar or Letterkenny which are all fairly central as a base camp and then you can take off every day.

Booking a hotel in August will cost a bit and you would really need to get moving on that front as a lot of these places are fully booked at that time of year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My favourite hotel in Donegal is Rathmullan House. Right on the beach and a good starting point to see the rest of Donegal, if you're driving. It's pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

dregin wrote: »
    My favourite hotel in Donegal is Rathmullan House. Right on the beach and a good starting point to see the rest of Donegal, if you're driving. It's pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for!

I'll second that, there are also holiday cottages in the grounds which worked out great for my brother and his family a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

That looks very nice but it appears booked out for the dates I want.I was looking at Gweedore and the Court hotel .Reasonable rates.Anybody ever stay there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi You could come to the north west where there are towns like buncrana which is beside the sea you might want to look at the harbour inn for acc great acc and great food and also child friendly. I n August there is a brilliant festival in clonmany not sure what date but check it out. Dont think you will get acc there that week but Buncrana is only half an hour away. You could also visit Derry of Letterkenny and go to Malin Head Irelands most northerly point here you will be standing on the tip top of Ireland and the scenery is something else You could also visit the famine village in the Isle of Doagh here they tell the story of years gone by and I think they also have an old style wake. There are heaps of good resturants around. Also in buncrana there is a large childrens play park which the kids wont want to leave and also there is an indoor childrens play area which you pay for not to far away

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hi You could come to the north west
    That would be the north east of the county lulu1 :)

muffler wrote: »
    That would be the north east of the county lulu1 :)

Muffler I know the rules say never argue with the moderator, but argue I.m going to do

North West :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ommc

codie wrote: »
    We a planning a family break in Donegal for 5 nights in August.Could anyone recommend a nice hotel (kid friendly).Any part of Donegal .We have never been and always said we would like to visit and see the place.Somewhere scenic and near the coast but with a few things and places to bring the 2 kids who are aged 7 and 4.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi I live in Donegal and I would defo recommend "redcastle hotel" in inishowen, they run mid week offers of 99euro per couple. And I just seen today they are doing an offer for 2bb1d kids leisure Center and kids club. Adults can go to golf or the spa(package is on Facebook) I think that one was 399. Redcastle is 20 mins to the city of Derry and 30 mins to malin head. Nice beach location.
    Also the "inishowen gateway" buncrana I don't know what the hotel rooms are like but I do know they have an excellent kids club. This hotel in right in the town of buncrana.

Search them both on Facebook I know they both have family breaks on offer.
    But If it was me I would choose redcastle.

Either way enjoy your trip to donegal!!

Ommc wrote: »
    Hi I live in Donegal and I would defo recommend "redcastle hotel" in inishowen, they run mid week offers of 99euro per couple. And I just seen today they are doing an offer for 2bb1d kids leisure Center and kids club. Adults can go to golf or the spa(package is on Facebook) I think that one was 399. Redcastle is 20 mins to the city of Derry and 30 mins to malin head. Nice beach location.
    Also the "inishowen gateway" buncrana I don't know what the hotel rooms are like but I do know they have an excellent kids club. This hotel in right in the town of buncrana.

Search them both on Facebook I know they both have family breaks on offer.
    But If it was me I would choose redcastle.

Either way enjoy your trip to donegal!!

HI just to clarify do you think we are in the north east or north west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ommc

lulu1 wrote: »
    HI just to clarify do you think we are in the north east or north west :)

Defo north west :)

• Advertisement

Ommc wrote: »
    Defo north west :)
    :):):)

Folks when you see me post in bold then I do so with my mod hat on otherwise Im just another joe soap on the forum :).

But what I dont want to see is people like the OP here, codie, being misled as they have never been to the county before and will now have read conflicting posts. Nor do I wish to see the thread being derailed with a difference of opinion over geography so I will put up a coupl of items and let people decide themselves.

Have a read here at how Dail Eireann view the area and just below is an old parish map of Donegal with compass points shown thereon.

No need for any further debate on the matter as people can make up their own minds.

5QJtsm.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My auntie and her 3 kids (10, 7, 5) come over every year and we go to Dunfanaghy, or the general area. There's loads of beaches, a great playground, Ards Forrest Park is nearby with great walks, a playground and beach. Glenveagh is not too far away, Letterkenny is only about 30 mins away. There's a place that does surf lessons if your kids are feeling adventurous, there's also horse riding for all levels, lead outs on the beach for those with no experience at all. There's quite a few restaurants for all different budgets and some nice little shops.

There's only 1 hotel though in Dunfanaghy but there's a few B&B's and we always rent a house. There's loads of houses in the area for renting, like the hotels though they're booked up well in advance. Renting a house can work out cheaper too.
    That looks very nice but it appears booked out for the dates I want.I was looking at Gweedore and the Court hotel .Reasonable rates.Anybody ever stay there?

Do you mean An Chúirt ? I stayed there a few years ago. It's a nice hotel, the rooms are lovely and the view out the front is gorgeous. Only issue I have with it is the restaurant isn't great. The food is fine but we found it very slow. I've been in just for food a few times and it's always been that way. There aren't many other eating options too near either so you're kind of stuck with it. Although you could always just make sure you get dinner when you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

I would second Dunfanaghy espically with Kids. I live close by there and this timeof year there is always a good buzz about the place with plently to do for young and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The cuairt is grand, its not far from where I'm from and I stayed there at a wedding about 5 years ago. Has a great leisure centre & gym & I think there a decent beauty centre now with hairdressing, makeup, massages etc.

It's a little bit out from the main towns/villages in gweedore which would be 5-ish minutes drive away, but as long as you've a car you're minutes from the beaches, golf courses, walks and Mt errigal.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

An Chuirt would be a good base from there you can go to Dunlewey which my niece/nephews love when they head to Donegal, horse ridiing, pony trekking, there are playcentre's around for the kids, play grounds etc, plenty of beaches there too.

Letterkenny isn't far with Glenveagh on the way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just to let you know the area around Dunlewey is lovely but we went to the Dunlewey Centre a few years ago and were pretty disappointed with it. Over priced and they charged separately for everything. Like if you want to use the play ground it's this much, if you want to go on the boat it's this much. Also they charged adult prices into the play ground, as if they'd let you send your kids in on their own. Bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

An Chuirt hotel in Gweedore looks to have very good reviews on Trip advisor. Its also just a half hour drive back to Dunfanaghy which has very good beaches such as Marble Hill. The Forest Park at Ards also has lovely little beaches, a play area and forest walks.
    Its also not far from Gweedore back to Glenveagh national park which would make a good day out for the kids. Also if you are in Gweedore and the weathers not so good its not too far back to letterkenny which has plenty of stuff for the kids to occupy them until the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

The Cuirt Hotel would be a good choice. The venue has a leisure centre and swimming pool; close to Lakeside Centre in Dunlewey; not far from Glenveagh National Park; 30 minute drive from Letterkenny; many fine beaches within a few miles; Errigal Mountain for climbing; sea trips to the islands and much more.
    The hotel is in a quiet enough country area with no shops or bars within walking distance but there are some nice walking routes.
    For the grannies, wee Daniel's museum is in Dungloe, about 20 minutes drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Hi

Am heading up myself to Rathmullan for a week on Saturday (26th Jul-2nd Aug). We're a family with 4 young kids (ages 1-7).
    Weather is supposed to be gorgeous, so fingers crossed the beach will be ideal. But is there any festivals nearby that would be worth visiting? I know the Rathmullan one is starting the weekend we're leaving but am finding it hard to get much info about whats going on for it.
    Any details on the Rathmullan festival or other nearby festivals? tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mary from Dungloe is on that week, but is a bit of a trek from rathmullan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Hi

Am heading up myself to Rathmullan for a week on Saturday (26th Jul-2nd Aug). We're a family with 4 young kids (ages 1-7).
    Weather is supposed to be gorgeous, so fingers crossed the beach will be ideal. But is there any festivals nearby that would be worth visiting? I know the Rathmullan one is starting the weekend we're leaving but am finding it hard to get much info about whats going on for it.
    Any details on the Rathmullan festival or other nearby festivals? tks

If you're on Facebook, look up Visit Donegal. It tells you festivals and the like that are going on at any time. You might see something on that.

Advertisement