Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far do you commute every day? (and how do you find it?)

• 20-05-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I'm quite worried that I'll get a course on my CAO that will have me travelling for over 3 hours a day! For those in college, how do you find the long distances? I suppose there's potential to get work done, or you'll know people heading in with you, but it still seems like a huge part of daily life wasted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

I commute to DCU every day. It takes about an hour and a half. Let's just say I've gotten used to sleeping on couches/floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You'll do one of two things. Go in early stay all day and get a first or never show up!

Only you really know :)

With a good Laptop these days there's no reason why commuting should be dead time.

Train or Bus BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I can imagine myself on the floor after a long day alright!

It'll either be 2 darts, or 2 buses. I haven't looked into which is quicker yet. Good point about the laptop

Changing would be a realy pain in the rear! Where are you going from and to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Roughly 46km each way... either an hour and a half on the bus or 40-120 minutes by car each way (depending on traffic).

Usually up at 5:50am most mornings, and not home until 8pm :/ Long days plus travelling means very little energy left to do much at home.

Sucks to commute, but accommodation is too expensive at the moment. Also my biggest problem from this year was not being able to go out as much as I liked. Lack of energy, coupled with a bad bus timetable, meant that nights out had to be fully arranged in advance.

• Advertisement

Changing would be a realy pain in the rear! Where are you going from and to?

Greystones to DCU. It's not my first choice on the CAO but it's likely!

bscm wrote: »
    Usually up at 5:50am most mornings, and not home until 8pm :/ Long days plus travelling means very little energy left to do much at home.

That's kind of what worries me! I'd have to consider moving out and sharing (while being poor) if it takes such a toll

That is a bugger of a journey - what are you doing?

As in subject

That is a bugger of a journey - what are you doing?

As in subject

Computer science! (or computer applications as I think it's called in DCU):)

Hmmm thats one you need to turn up for (sometimes) unlike Law :)

Computer Science (then computer engineering as it wasn't a science anymore in 1999 for some reason) was my stab at a degree so I speak from experience. :D

I'd really try and get onto campus is possible - you're at that awkward distance of not far enough but too far. Trinity is your idea choice I'm guessing?

Thought about DIT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Arklow to Bolton street

160km round trip. bout an hour and ten each way. eh, you get used to it.

Hmmm thats one you need to turn up for (sometimes) unlike Law :)

Computer Science (then computer engineering as it wasn't a science anymore in 1999 for some reason) was my stab at a degree so I speak from experience. :D

I'd really try and get onto campus is possible - you're at that awkward distance of not far enough but too far. Trinity is your idea choice I'm guessing?

Thought about DIT?

Aye both TCD and DIT are on my CAO. I've heard DIT isn't the best for computer facilities (mainly on boards), but it is easy to get to. I suppose I'll stick them down in order of preference and sort it out when the time comes! Driving's always an (expensive) option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was doing a 200 mile round trip 4 days a week but moved house after one semester. Newry to Coleraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

I can imagine myself on the floor after a long day alright!

It'll either be 2 darts, or 2 buses. I haven't looked into which is quicker yet. Good point about the laptop

No darts really within walking distance of DCU afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

7-10 minute cycle :)

Advertisement