Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report: New York

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Just back from New York... 2nd time over n deffo not my last.

As usual with heading over in Jan had to pack warm as it was damn cold most of the days. Ave temp was about 0 to -5 over the 5 days I was there. Never bothered me. Good jacket, hat scarf and gloves are all you need...

Did the usual sight seeing (open top bus and walking around)...

Went to see an Ice Hockey game in MSG, cannot recommend this enough... Was a great experience n a load of fun.... The fans are nuts, had a great laugh with them. I got my tickets on the New York Rangers website, through there ticket section. U can buy tickets new or from ticket holders.. Prices vary, I got really good seats at a good price. When I was buying them the seats next to mine where selling for $200 more. The way it works is the lower you are the richer n more boring you are(or so a fan told me), the higher you are the more crazy you are(topless with painted bodies....) somewhere in the middle is ur best bet.....

Also went to see some stand up at The Comedy Cellar... This was a bloody brilliant night, was in tears for most of it. Comedians are top class, venue is the best comic venue I’ve ever been in and its a steal. $15 in and a two drink minimum(doesn't have to be alcohol)... For the class of comedians and the venue I'd have easily paid 4 times that. I cannot recommend this enough.. You will have to reserve your tickets on the site as it is always booked up....

Didn't get to catch a Broadway show as Spamalot was sold out on the Saturday and there's no show on a Monday.

Didn't go out drinking as by about 11 each night we where wrecked.... Ate in a variety of places, mostly good...

There's a restaurant just on Times Square called Charlie O's, I ate in it last time n went back this year... Brilliant place, food is top notch, staff are first class, and drinks are well tasty n the jazz band are brilliant. We spend just over 4hrs in here... Quite possibly one of the best restaurants I've ever eating in...

Apple store on 5th ave(near central park) is worth a view, picked up an iPhone… If u wanna get it unlocked head down to China town, any phone shop will do it.. cost about $80. Some will say it takes a day or a couple of hours to do but they can do it in less than an hour if you ask. Make sure u tell them ur from Ireland so they know to set it up right. Mine was set to UK n wouldn’t work till I got home n changed it…

B&H photo is deffo worth a visit, if only to see the conveyor belt system they have in the store… They sell everything from cheap ass cameras to a full pro studio fit out… They do loads of other gear, tvs, mp3, comps etc. Staff are really helpful, felt strange talking to someone who knew what he was talking about n wasn’t trying to sell me the most expensive gear… A far far far far far far cry from Dixon’s etc. Got a Cannon HD camcorder, €900 online over here… €540 in store.

Went to Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common… I bought more in Jersey Gardens. Great place to go if you want jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits, casual wear.

Woodbury Common is good for designer wear n that… bought way more in Jersey Gardens. GF didn’t like Woodbury Common, only reason we went up was for her she wanted to get a nice dress for a wedding… She eventually got one on 5th ave, reduced from $780 to $70…. Bargains to be had everywhere. Also, Nike store in Jersey Gardens was cheaper than Woodbury Common…. Some items where half the price and u got an extra 20% off if you spent over $75.. Woodbury had no offers at all….

Hit the Top of the Rock instead of Empire State, better view n all round nicer experience, no Q, no crowds, better view n it was better fitted out….

Stayed in Times Sq beds, tiny little hostel just off 39th n 9th….. $40 a night, real comfy beds, nice n clean n lovely hot shower. There’s only two rooms in the place, an 8 bed n a 4 bed. We had the 4 bed to ourselves. Room was tiny but all you do is sleep in it, we where out every day from 9am till 12pm…. Free wireless n a laptop n printer to use too. Little kitchen n couple of couches, guy who ran it(Paul) was Chinese n bang on, real helpful n polite…. When we got to it I thought we where at the wrong place as its just a door on a street beside where the keep all the hot dog stands. Was really quite too… Will deffo stay there again.

Stayed in the Rivington Hotel one night(anniversary) cost more than the hostel for the 4 nights… Was a nice hotel, good sized room, glass walls all round… walking around in the nip with a view of New York is an experience in itself. The Deep Soak baths are amazing, they’re huge!! Take an age to fill tho, bout 30mins but well worth it tho…..

All in all it was a great trip, if anyone as any questions about the above let me know n I’ll reply…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Thanks for the review, I'm just back myself but can see that I missed lots of stuff. That hotel sounds great!

Advertisement