Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report: Will never use American Holidays again

• 03-07-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

On Saturday 2 weeks ago myself and the wife arrived at hotel in Toronto and bought 9 nights in the lovely Westin Harbour Castle. Cost was over €1500.

After a successful but long flight we just wanted to see our room and have a nap, but when we handed all the American Holiday details into check-in desk..

"That booking number is not in our system we never received anything from American Holidays" :eek:

Because it was after 6pm at home we had to pay for 2 nights (very lucky there was a room available at that time), then try and get it sorted on Monday with a different clerk who was convinced we were in the computer for an August stay (a girl with the same name)..we had that extra worry for those 2 days no knowing what was going to happen.
    Eventually the clerk must have got in touch with American Holidays on Monday and we found out everything was sorted later on Monday. The amount I was charged for 2 days dropped off the credit card.
    The staff at the Westin was very accomodating at all times.

At no time did anyone from American Holidays get in touch to apologise or offer some sort of explanation. No mails, no phone calls. I sent them a (fair) mail when I got back - no replies.

First time we ever used American Holidays, and the last.

American Holidays - WE WILL NEVER USE YOU AGAIN FOR LOVE NOR MONEY.
    And I hope this puts a few more people off you too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

i remember having some diffs with them before while we were away. Are they the crowd on Abbey street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What flight numbers did they give you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Hi I booked the hotel with American Holidays online, and the airline separately online. Air Transat was fine, American Holidays was not.
    I used Tour America on Abbey St. in the past, and had no problems with them.

• I had an utter disaster with the same travel agent. I didn't even make it on holiday, as American Holidays had booked me on the wrong trip!
    One furious phone call and a solicitor's letter and I got my money back and a bit extra.
    But I'd never, ever book with them again, and neither will any of my family or friends.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I sent them a (fair) mail when I got back - no replies.

I'm assuming that was email? If so, never do serious complaints by email. Post is the way to go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

I'm assuming that was email? If so, never do serious complaints by email. Post is the way to go

It was 'Contact Us' details on their website alright. It would have been much worse if the hotel was fully booked when I arrived, in that case I would have went in letter in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I remember using them few years ago, had biggest dump of a hotel in NY to go with it so wasn't impressed at all. Also her 3 person room was in fact 2 doubles which wasn't convenient. (apparently, they said it could actually sleep 4!!!)

Advertisement