Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extension costs

• 30-07-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Looking for advice. Thinking of getting an extension build on to my kitchen. Simple rectangle shape about 20 sq metres. Im looking for a ball park figure of cost. Just need to know if its savable or should i look to top up mortgage.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd be budgeting E30K, probably + VAT at 13.5%. The actual cost would depend on many factors like ease of access for building, relocation of services (like drains), structural works to the existing house (to open to the new extension), etc., etc...and...where you are in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

we recently got told that to build an extension to a builders finish that €80 a square foot was a good INITIAL start price when thinking about an extension. This can go up and down but just as a starting off ball park mark

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

I work on the extension now in Dublin, cost 40k + garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I wish I could get 40k for a 20sqm extension .

I price a couple of extensions each week and 1000euro/sqm excluding alterations to existing house and fixtures and fittings is about the average price. I know of one reasonable size company based in meath but working throughout dublin and they average 700 - 800 / sqm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

scwazrh wrote: »
    I wish I could get 40k for a 20sqm extension .

I price a couple of extensions each week and 1000euro/sqm excluding alterations to existing house and fixtures and fittings is about the average price. I know of one reasonable size company based in meath but working throughout dublin and they average 700 - 800 / sqm
    May I ask,
    1. Do you get detailed drawings & a spec for these jobs or are you competing based on a 'one sheet' tender?

2. If you were to guess what are the clients spending on finishing the project after the builder leaves?

3. Or are you finding that extras are where the profit is?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Some projects have drawings supplied and some don't . Our tender docs per extension consist of a 6-7 page BoQ , services agreement , programme and payment schedule . We advertise at €1000 per sqm and fix the price at that.

To answer your questions directly

1-sometimes we get a drawing but at all times we issue a detailed BoQ
    2- it depends on the room use, if it's a dining room the additional cost would be furniture only , a kitchen would be units and appliances .
    3- We do everything possible to avoid extras .We don't want extras as they cause additional time on site and customers hate them.

Of 8-9 extensions we price on average per month this year we win about two per month .What we don't get is usually because our price is too high.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

scwazrh wrote: »
    I price a couple of extensions each week and 1000euro/sqm excluding alterations to existing house.

To properly open up the rear/side (or whatever) wall of an existing house, even to a 20 m.sq. extension there could be E5K alone in demolitions, relocating services, structural steel work, making good, etc., etc.

So...yes...E 1,000/m.sq. for an extension is probably a good ballpark, but, it does not tell the whole story.

No point telling somebody that their 20m.sq. extension is going to cost them E20K...when in reality is going to cost a lot more when other works, to facilitate the construction of the proposed extension, are taken into consideration.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

you simply cant ball park these types of works as the impact on other areas can add huge cost. i recently had a client who wanted to take down a back wall and install new sliding doors. cost for demo, steel and windows circa 12k (large steel, wide section and full aluminium units). the problem was that this required the floor finish to be replaced which went throughout the ground floor so impact added over 6k in decorations and moving rads. this would never be possible to simply price per ft2 as so many of these cant.

Advertisement