Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The LG G4 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Patww79 wrote: »

No two ways about it, there's a whiff of mid-range off the 808. I'd be interested to see how it benches compared to a Snap 615 or a MT6752.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

LG has also had problems with the 810 in the flex 2. A software update more aggressively heat throttles.

808 is more likely IMO because of the damage reputation of the 810. Also I highly doubt they'd entrust a mediatek proc in their flagship. Maybe they'll surprise us yet.

The article mentions that it may be a mid range phone, though there have been plenty of rumours before this of the 808. I think it could be more than sufficient though and the 810 hasn't exactly been setting the world alight after the HTC overheating problems and Samsung favouring their own for the S6.

As long as there's a midrange price to go with it, that's fine by me!

Qualcomm really need to get their next flagship SOC right, or the likes of Intel or Mediatek will eat their lunch. The latter are almost there, need to sort out their GPUs.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Bowen Billions Trait

The front of the G4 looks identical to the OnePlus One.

Not a chance LG would use a midrange chip in their flagship phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I guess a Snap808 it is then! It must be the only flagship phone to use one of those chips.

I think the choice of the Snap808 is a matter of preserving battery life. LG have made a big deal about their new display being brighter and less power hungry than competing displays. Add in the replaceable 3000mAh battery and LG have made a very strong case for winning out over the likes of the iPhone and Galaxy S6 on a very basic feature of phone useability.

A power hungry Snap810 might dump all over those gains while only providing a very limited processing speed benefit that most people might never make use of.

My only worry for the LG G4 with a Snap808 inside is that the high res display will chew up a large amount of the processors performance.

Redundo wrote: »

My only worry for the LG G4 with a Snap808 inside is that the high res display will chew up a large amount of the processors performance.

Seemed to be smooth enough with that display from the reviews with an 801.

Seemed to be smooth enough with that display from the reviews with an 801.

OK, point well taken, an 808 chip would still be faster than an 801 chip. But in comparison to the same generation rivals (S6 and OneM9) you would expect the G4 to fall behind in benchmark testing.

I'm not trying to pick at holes in the specs of the G4. I think that LG have prioritised battery life over headline performance numbers. And its a good direction to take.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Redundo wrote: »

I'm not trying to pick at holes in the specs of the G4. I think that LG have prioritised battery life over headline performance numbers. And its a good direction to take.

Not sure about battery life, it's the same battery that they had in the G2 that came out in 2013. I was expecting Atleast a 3500 mAh battery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm not so sure that the energy capacity can get bigger without the battery physically increasing in size and weight. The G4 hasn't grown much in size itself, so a larger 3500mAh battery would leave less space for everything else.

So even though the battery is still the same 3000mAh capacity as before, improved battery life can come from the rest of the phones innards; efficient display technology and system on a chip design, maybe better wifi and radio modems too?

I'd be delighted if the phone could last 36 hours with light usage or 18 hours comfortably with heavier use. At the moment i can only squeeze 1 hour screen on time from my S3!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Writing on its Korean blog, it confirmed the LG G4 release date will be May 31, a month after the official launch of the handset on April 28.

The same post also appears to confirm the LG G4 will pack a 16MP camera on its rear - up from the 13MP sensor on the back of the G3 - which is in line with a host of rumours surrounding the handset.

Link

I'm less worried about benchmark testing if the day to day performance is smooth and sufficient. I dont use my smart phone for gaming and would really prefer battery life over a supercomputer in my pocket.

For the record I dont think the 808 chip is strictly midrange, it's just not the fastest and chip that Qualcom makes. It's not a 600 chip or a last gen 800/801.

Being released in South Korea on April 29th. Probably be a few weeks after that before we can get our hands on them. Rumours of a G4 note coming in the second half of the year also.

Could be amazing!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Being released in South Korea on April 29th. Probably be a few weeks after that before we can get our hands on them. Rumours of a G4 note coming in the second half of the year also.

Could be amazing!!

Source?

Also I dont get all this hate for the back of the G4. From what we've seen so far it's replaceable. Don't like the plastic/leather? get a metal back from a 3rd party.

Source?

Also I dont get all this hate for the back of the G4. From what we've seen so far it's replaceable. Don't like the plastic/leather? get a metal back from a 3rd party.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/39700/20150314/lg-g4-note-with-3k-display-and-high-end-specs-might-be-iphone-6-plus-galaxy-note-4-killer.htm

Where did you see the hate for the back? Didn't see anyone mention it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Mostly reddit and comments on android blogs. Nothing too important. Idiots saying how they won't buy the phone because of the back etc...

Good luck finding another flagship with a microSD card slot and removable battery.

Fingers crossed for IPxy cert. Can't believe that only lasted one round of devices.

• Advertisement

Latest word is that it will be more expensive than the S6 upon launch in Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

corwill wrote: »

I'd say the leather back version will be alright but I can't imagine the plastic back with be more expensive than the S6? It's a bit mad none of the Irish carriers will have it. Samsung are probably paying them not to stock it!?

I'd say the leather back version will be alright but I can't imagine the plastic back with be more expensive than the S6? It's a bit mad none of the Irish carriers will have it. Samsung are probably paying them not to stock it!?

I doubt very much that Samsung are worried about what is and isn't available to consumers in Ireland. Also if they were and it became public knowledge then it would be a PR disaster!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I doubt very much that Samsung are worried about what is and isn't available to consumers in Ireland. Also if they were and it became public knowledge then it would be a PR disaster!

Not to mention illegal (probably, IANAL).

I've found that it's far cheaper to buy a phone separately and go PAYG rather than contract, in Ireland especially. Do the maths over 2 years of a standard contract. I did, and I was going to save a huge amount of money.

Other countries will be different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Basically some big wig from a phone company ie vodafone three or what ever sits there gets a look at up coming handsets and chooses which they think will sell best, samsung htc apple they maybe adds a few others to the fray like sony and nokia. Ignoring handsets from other companies because they have no clue.

Im torn I wanna see the reviews for this cause i think my g3 is great but the battery is not good because of the screen. Even then the screen is a bit on the big side for me.
    Was set on the new htc but thats a bit of a let down and well what ever the z4 on this side of the world ends up being i think it will lack the want to get it some how

corwill wrote:

I'll be disappointed if the G4 cost more than an S6. The camera and display may be wonderful, but i don't think they are worth that kind of money. And a fancy leather back isn't enough of a sweetener to change that.

Hopefully LG are playing publicity games and announce a lower price at launch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Announcement tomorrow!

Advertisement