Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart TV v Android TV box

• 02-06-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys hope someone can help me, I have an LG smart tv, tried downloading xbmc and it won't let me. Is it possible to download xbmc onto the tv or am I better off getting an Android tv box.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I don't think Smart TV's are that smart yet, unless they've started using fully open Android or Linux. Might be better/easier to just buy an Android box, there's a few threads about them on this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kriters8

Buy a tv box

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Thanks for the replies guys, just a quick question. What is the difference between the box and the dongle? The boxes and dongles on adverts seem to be the same spec, ie quad core 1.6 Ghz, 2gb of ram and 8gb memory.

Which would you buy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dongles are just neater and you can hide them behind your TV, but they typically have only 1x usb port and no Ethernet and only some have a Wifi antenna. Also I haven't heard anyone raving about any particular new dongle on the market, most people now seem to be going for boxes. I've a dongle but I'll be getting a box next too.

If you want to buy one from Ireland, I suggest you compare prices from Adverts with this Irish website before buying. There's a new one out soon that you can pre-order now if you're willing to spend 155 Euro. It is expensive bang for buck wise as you can get a perfectly good lower spec one from China for half the price, but this should do you for a few years!

http://smarttvbox.ie/component/jshopping/shop/minix-neo-x8-h-smart-tv-box.html?Itemid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is it possible to make an Android tv box out of your phone?

Surely there's as much tech packed into a €600 phone as in a €100 Android box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Google is expected to launch Android TV at their I/O in about two weeks. If your not in a rush it might be worth waiting to see what, if any, existing boxes on the market can be updated to the new software. They might also release some new type of Nexus TV Box. Be a shame to buy something now only for it to be obsolete/old tech before it's even delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

It is! Your phone and a chromecast will do 90% of what you need. Install Google Music, Mobdro, FilmOn and S*****x and you have pretty much all you need.

Depends on the phone. Lots of devices connect to a TV... phones, laptops, tablets etc. But it's not very practical having to keep connecting them, or if someone decides to text or call you in the middle of something. A TV box is dedicated for that purpose only, it's got it's own power and Ethernet connection and you just leave it plugged in and ready to go.

I used to keep connecting my tablet to the TV, but believe me you soon get a pain in your arse doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPy9CvhShrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thanks guys.

I have note 3 and chromecast , I have that app that (we can't speak about) and also the other one.... Mo....

Now, I can get sb streamed to chromecast no problems, works a treat but I'm trying to watch certain sports events on the other one......

Can't see to get it to stream though, and it looks like premium has been pulled.

I've been using a miracast dongle to stream mobdro to the TV and it works well. Would prefer chromecast support but I'm sure that will come soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Yep. Except for the infra red receiver, ethernet port (if you need one) and USB ports (for plugging in your media collection).

My setup is a Minix X7 box, XBMC running pretty much 100% on the box, external HDD plugged into the X7, Yatse on the phone, and various apps on my phone for viewing videos.

Any video you can view on Youtube and various other players can be sent using Yatse to the TV box.
    The downside is that some apps can't send video that way (e.g. Netflix, RTE Player) so if you want to watch those on the big screen you have to install those apps to the box and exit XBMC when you want to run them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kriters8

Well,dongle will be replaced by the tv box,in my opinion.So I recommend you a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

I'm just looking for a cheap enough box to run the XBMC apps and add ons etc.. To get me by a few months watch TV on till I decide if I want satellite (SKY/UPC) etc...

Any suggestion lads? Be really appreciative have seen both the MX2 AND G Boxes running XBMC GOTHAM.

Any tips?

An Cigire wrote: »
    I'm just looking for a cheap enough box to run the XBMC apps and add ons etc.. To get me by a few months watch TV on till I decide if I want satellite (SKY/UPC) etc...

A free to air satellite setup and a good TV box that will stream HD properly should get you everything you want with no bills. TBH the TV quality isn't great on a lot of the channels you'll stream from the TV boxes. So I wouldn't count on that alone. You can get Sat boxes with Saorview and FTA combined and record easily from them with a memory stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

CinSoots wrote: »
    It is! Your phone and a chromecast will do 90% of what you need. Install Google Music, Mobdro, FilmOn and S*****x and you have pretty much all you need.

Can all of the aforementioned mentioned apps be streamed to a Chromecast from the phone? Google music I know would work and FilmOn should work as I can get it working from my phone to my Sky Now TV Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

I was told these boxes can stream your netflix as well other streaming sites including film on something saorview/FTA can't do..

Any one have any suggestion on which android box to choose?

Can all of the aforementioned mentioned apps be streamed to a Chromecast from the phone? Google music I know would work and FilmOn should work as I can get it working from my phone to my Sky Now TV Box.

Mobdro can't as of yet but its in the pipeline I believe. All the others work and have chromecast built-in except S*****x which requires an app like Local cast to stream to chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Blade wrote: »
    Dongles are just neater and you can hide them behind your TV, but they typically have only 1x usb port and no Ethernet and only some have a Wifi antenna. Also I haven't heard anyone raving about any particular new dongle on the market, most people now seem to be going for boxes. I've a dongle but I'll be getting a box next too.

If you want to buy one from Ireland, I suggest you compare prices from Adverts with this Irish website before buying. There's a new one out soon that you can pre-order now if you're willing to spend 155 Euro. It is expensive bang for buck wise as you can get a perfectly good lower spec one from China for half the price, but this should do you for a few years!

http://smarttvbox.ie/component/jshopping/shop/minix-neo-x8-h-smart-tv-box.html?Itemid=0

Geekbuying have that box for €115'ish

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H-Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-Dolby-DTS-328163.html

Yeah I know but there are issues to consider buying it from China. Already discussed it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90645548&postcount=569

Yes, I see your point plus the possible Duty and VAT. This could bring the box up to more or less same price, but with more backup with your linked supplier.

I acknowledge the problems with Chinese suppliers, having had two recent bad experiences, one Aliexpress and another with Hong Kong Geek, who I cannot recommend at all.....even though they give free postage ( 3 weeks) and so called repayment of VAT or Duty. They are not trustworthy at all, they are overpriced, relatively, and their item descriptions very often are not what you get, in my direct experience.

They have this box too, for €129....if anyone wants to take a chance!!

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/android-tv-box/5856-android-tv-box-minix-neo-x8h-with-android-44.html

At least with Aliexpress I eventually got my money back, after a struggle....Ali seems to be geared towards protecting sellers, not buyers.

The box definitely looks like a quantum leap.

• Advertisement

They have this box too, for €129....if anyone wants to take a chance!!

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/android-tv-box/5856-android-tv-box-minix-neo-x8h-with-android-44.html

I think you can get it from the UK on ebay for 130 Euro, much safer bet. Someone posted that on another thread.

I think you can get it from the UK on ebay for 130 Euro, much safer bet. Someone posted that on another thread.

See it from Futeko, from UK, it's pre-order, but "Bundled with MiniX NEO M1 airmouse."

Certainly HKGeek will not include or beat that!!! They are incredibly scabby in what they include, leaving out UK AC adaptors or similar stuff, then expecting you to buy one.

[Ships 17th June]

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP053.php

£105/€130

UK first class free delivery, I'd say you need PM, but that's just €3??

very good deal, IMO.

Thanks

edit: the Neo M1 air mouse is included with this from Geekbuying, it costs €19'ish seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Anyone being using the Minix Neo x8 H yet.I've been testing it out for a bit now and have to say it's a fair bit snappier than the X7 and playback is excellent for most formats so far.Also Dolby & DTS through HDMI pass-through is a great bonus.
    Regarding the M1 remote...it's great that it can be charged via USB and can be fully switched off from a small button on the end of it.The pointer seems more accurate than the A2 and it's a solid build quality.

Sorry to re-quote, but just a point re eBay UK.....I have my doubts!!!

For instance, this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261498864303

The guy says:
    Item location:
    Manchester, United Kingdom

Then he says:
    From long standing UK seller since 2002

I have now moved to China and all items will be posted from China.

So be aware you may get charged import duties, however 95% of the items never get charged duty

I mean, WTF?? having a laff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

bazzz wrote: »
    Anyone being using the Minix Neo x8 H yet.I've been testing it out for a bit now and have to say it's a fair bit snappier than the X7 and playback is excellent for most formats so far.Also Dolby & DTS through HDMI pass-through is a great bonus.
    Regarding the M1 remote...it's great that it can be charged via USB and can be fully switched off from a small button on the end of it.The pointer seems more accurate than the A2 and it's a solid build quality.

Glad to hear the positive review of the X8-H, I ordered one a few days ago and am looking forward to getting it. I have an X7 already so will be interesting to compare them.

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Glad to hear the positive review of the X8-H, I ordered one a few days ago and am looking forward to getting it. I have an X7 already so will be interesting to compare them.

Ben

Hi, Ben....Where did you buy??

A free to air satellite setup and a good TV box that will stream HD properly should get you everything you want with no bills. TBH the TV quality isn't great on a lot of the channels you'll stream from the TV boxes. So I wouldn't count on that alone. You can get Sat boxes with Saorview and FTA combined and record easily from them with a memory stick.

I have looked at combo boxes before and could never find anything which worked well enough to ditch UPC. I have movies and sports sorted via my Minix N7 so I'd really like a good free to air type solution for Irish and UK channels.

Do you know the best combo box on the market at the moment Blade?

Ben

Hi, Ben....Where did you buy??

I bought from Geekbuying who seem to be one of Minix's main online channel partners - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H-Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-Dolby-DTS-328163.html

Ben

Sorry to re-quote, but just a point re eBay UK.....I have my doubts!!!

Yeah sorry, it was actually Futeko not ebay that someone posted about on the other thread. It's true that a lot of these Chinese register on ebay UK and indeed other ebay sites so that they show up in local searches. So you have to be careful, it's sometimes hard to tell so you might have to read through their feedback.

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    I have looked at combo boxes before and could never find anything which worked well enough to ditch UPC. I have movies and sports sorted via my Minix N7 so I'd really like a good free to air type solution for Irish and UK channels.

Do you know the best combo box on the market at the moment Blade?

I don't know what's the best ATM, I bought mine a few years ago, it's a Ferguson Ariva but an old model. That seemed to be a popular choice on the satellite forums at the time anyway. Not that it bothers me, but the only issue with mine is that there's no teletext on the Saorview.

You should ask over at the Satellite forum, there's a regular boardsie who owns www.satellite.ie called Tony who sells all these boxes. Having a quick look there, he still seems to be pushing the Ariva's.

Advertisement