Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for women to engage with Freemasonry?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Maybe a blog would be a more suitable medium for your adventures with the Illuminati. This is a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Get caught hiding behind a curtain at a ceremony. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Magdala

I had a summer job with the Freemasons once.

It is very creepy where all the bosses are men and all the secretaries have to address them as master.

I dont think you can be a woman and a freemason.
    Good evening,
    This matter has already been discussed on the forum, but I will add my comment. It is of course possible to be a woman and a freemason.
    I am a woman and a freemason... but in France. I was initiated seven years ago. Here we have the choice to join various orders. It can either be a mixed order like the Droit Humain or more recently the Grand Orient that now accepts women. But also the Grande Loge Mixte de France, and various other mixed orders. There are also feminine orders like the Grande Loge Féminine de France. And there are several other mixed orders that are less known like the egyptian orders (rite of Memphis-Misraim) for people who are involved in a non dogmatic spiritual path.
    I am presently thinking about creating a company in Ireland. But the presence of mixed orders is a decisive issue for me because I would not move to a country that would force me to give up my commitment in Freemasonry.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eithneoneill

Maybe a blog would be a more suitable medium for your adventures with the Illuminati. This is a discussion forum.

This has nothing to do with the Illuminati, and this thread is very relevent as to what orders best suit us women.
    I still think the Droit Humain can be salvaged, but not before the rot is taken out of that Triangle. That is how women can engage in Freemasonry.

This has nothing to do with the Illuminati, and this thread is very relevent as to what orders best suit us women.
    I still think the Droit Humain can be salvaged, but not before the rot is taken out of that Triangle. That is how women can engage in Freemasonry.
    Then take it to the Ladies Lounge; this forum is for the discussion of Humanities topics, not women's issues, let alone the internal politics of some Irish masonic or crypto-masonic group, billed as a women's issue or corruption or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I suppose my question is for any masons out there, male or female- why would women *want*to engage in freemasonry?

I'm not trying to be pejorative, but it's always struck me as something that's increasingly irrelevant

DM addict wrote: »
    I suppose my question is for any masons out there, male or female- why would women *want*to engage in freemasonry?

I'm not trying to be pejorative, but it's always struck me as something that's increasingly irrelevant
    You've probably asked the only relevant question in this entire thread.

I suspect some because it's a family tradition. Some for the contacts, although it's questionable how much use these are. Some so they can say they are. Some because it's a social club. In the case of the OP, because she considers it a women's issue (if she was living somewhere like France, like Magdala, it's unlikely she'd bother) - like Groucho Marx, she wouldn't want to be a member of any club who would accept her.

I'm not a mason myself, but was asked by one if I'd be interested in becoming one, years ago. I never followed up on this query (I wouldn't go so far as to call it an invitation) because I too would question it's relevance.

Freemasonry is a product of when the ideals of the enlightenment were radical and new - anti-clerical, deist and so on - except many of these have become moot or otherwise irrelevant; the influence of the Roman Catholic Church is largely marginalized in the West and while Newtonian physics demanded a Supreme Being, Quantum physics, that superseded it, does not.

So my guess, is that there are many reasons why someone may be a mason today, none of which are related to why they may have been a mason three hundred years ago.

Mod

eithneoneill, you seem to have an axe to grind with a particular lodge. Firstly, this forum isn't your personal soap box; secondly, you're making some rather serious allegations against this organisation and one of its members, which, without evidence, is expressly forbidden. I'll leave this topic open to see if it might diverge away from the course in which you want to steer it. If you've any questions about what I've said then don't reply on thread, but do spend me a PM. Thank you.

Then take it to the Ladies Lounge; this forum is for the discussion of Humanities topics, not women's issues, let alone the internal politics of some Irish masonic or crypto-masonic group, billed as a women's issue or corruption or whatever.

This thread is for the discussion of women in Freemasonry, which is a humanist organization. And your remarks is very condescending and misogynist, in case you did not do it on purpose...

GVN,
    got it. Thanks.

This thread is for the discussion of women in Freemasonry, which is a humanist organization.
    Indeed, not a platform for you to run your one-woman campaign to personally join a masonic lodge (which you then appear to have fallen out with), and to date, that appears to be all you've treated this discussion as.
    And your remarks is very condescending and misogynist, in case you did not do it on purpose...
    Explain how my remarks are 'misogynist'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I have learnt a lot in the past few days about Freemasonry, and now I want to join them.
    But I wonder how other women, or gay men, feel about it?
    Of course I do not even consider the Grand Lodge, as they make clear that women are not equal enough to be initiated.

But I am wondering which of the other two Irish Freemason Orders are best for women?
    The Grand Orient who has already initiated women? (www.gmoirl.com)
    Or the Droit Humain about whom I can find nearly no information about, but who are known for welcoming women and minorities in other countries?

Is there a point in joining these humanist Freemason Orders? (Which the Grand Lodge looks down at and consider as not masonic just because they do not recognize them... )
    Why on earth would you want to join a mysogynistic organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

katydid wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want to join a mysogynistic organisation?

At the time of Eithnes original post both Droit Humain and the Grand Orient were on membership drives and actively promoting their mixed gender membership and non-theistic rules in contrast to regular Freemasonrys men only and belief in a higher power rules. I suspect the OP was motivated by this at the time. Eithne didn't want to join a mysogynistic organisation, she wanted to point out that regular Freemasonry in her opinion was mysogynistic compared to Droit Humain and Grand Orient, and therefore destined to disappear in the near future etc etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Absolam wrote: »
    At the time of Eithnes original post both Droit Humain and the Grand Orient were on membership drives and actively promoting their mixed gender membership and non-theistic rules in contrast to regular Freemasonrys men only and belief in a higher power rules. I suspect the OP was motivated by this at the time. Eithne didn't want to join a mysogynistic organisation, she wanted to point out that regular Freemasonry in her opinion was mysogynistic compared to Droit Humain and Grand Orient, and therefore destined to disappear in the near future etc etc..
    So she wanted to join a DIFFERENT organisation..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Another FREEMASONRY, yes.
    DH has resolved their pedo scandal now so I feel free to re-apply and re-join: last time I was stopped in my track because instead of brushing it under the carpet, they tackled the issue head-on at a great cost to themselves!
    You're saying they should have brushed it under the carpet rather than tackle it head on?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Absolam wrote: »
    You're saying they should have brushed it under the carpet rather than tackle it head on?

No, from the looks of things, she was planning to leave the lodge because it looked like they were trying to brush things under the carpet. Turns out they didn't, so now she's comfortable with the group again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Excellent and interesting posts Eithne O'Neill.
    I wish you well in pursuing the path of freemasonary and equality!

qt3.14 wrote: »
    No, from the looks of things, she was planning to leave the lodge because it looked like they were trying to brush things under the carpet. Turns out they didn't, so now she's comfortable with the group again

Indeed.
    I am happy they expelled the ones trying to brush it under the checkered carpet, but the price was that it stopped the process of joining, as I had been in contact originally with the sickos.
    It took a while to clear the mess, before I could start completing the process.

I am happy they did not brush it under the carpet, even if it has cost me!

Advertisement