Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Because criticism =/= bashing? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm trying to figure out a way to answer this, but the question just doesn't make any sense... Even if atheists are "bashing" people's beliefs and religions, how is that at odds with opposition to stupid laws like the blasphemy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other peoples beliefs and religions?

Jernal's answer sums it up, but I'm curious about something:

Lets say atheists, as you suggest, enjoy bashing other people's beliefs and religions. Why would you be surprised that they would then be against anti-blasphemy laws? Surely it stands to reason that anyone involved in blasphemy would be against anti-blasphemy laws?

Edit: Links234 got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thatsthewaythe

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out a way to answer this, but the question just doesn't make any sense... Even if atheists are "bashing" people's beliefs and religions, how is that at odds with opposition to stupid laws like the blasphemy one?

Some hardcore atheists say that religion should not be a part of society, and some of my atheists accquaintences say it should be illegal, so its ok for a scummy atheist to say religion should be illegal but according to the atheists blasphemy should be ok .....

I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Some hardcore atheists say that religion should not be a part of society, and some of my atheists accquaintences say it should be illegal, so its ok for a scummy atheist to say religion should be illegal but according to the atheists blasphemy should be ok .....

Basically, yeah.
    So say we all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Because most atheists (or should I say secularists, because other than not believing in god there's not much to bind atheists as a group together) would also probably be against a law that said you had to be nasty about religion the whole time too.

By and large, it's the "being forced" to behave in concordance with religion or whatever which irks the denizens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Blasphemy is one of life's great pleasures afaic. A victimless crime that pisses off loopers. Of course it's ok.

edit.
    post 500. It's only taken me 7 years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do we want to keep him, folks?

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why should it be illegal to say that religion should be illegal? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

if we ever get to a point where there are actual laws in effect against religion we might take that question at face value, but as it stands it's a ridiculous statement. besides, there's some serious strawmannery going on there because even so called "hardcore" atheists aren't advocating that religious should be illegal. to paraphrase hitchens, you can play with the toys; you don't come over to my house and try to make me play with the toys.

I believe in the mighty Thor.

Ps. Valhalla is better than heaven, it's got beer

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »

Excuse me, "him" how do you know? This wouldn't be faith now would it by an atheist moderator!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I say we play with this one, I suspect it's an second account honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Ahh go on. Watching the lack of coherency and wooly thinking is soothing and re-assuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Jernal wrote: »
    Excuse me, "him" how do you know? This wouldn't be faith now would it by an atheist moderator!!?
    Faith!! Where???
    angry-mob.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws

Because they want to be able to freely criticise other people's religions.
    but are OK with bashing other peoples beliefs and religions.

Because they want to be able to freely criticise other people's religions.

Do you really just not understand the words you wrote or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Why did you use the word BUT there? There is no but, those two statments work well together!

Why are liberals pro freedom of speech BUT anti-censorship?

Why are cake manufacturers pro cake BUT anti-dieting?

... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Apparently you have to believe ON him, or you're as screwed as the rest of us.

Sarky wrote: »
    Apparently you have to believe ON him, or you're as screwed as the rest of us.

Is that the only thing you have to do on Him?
    *Gets coat.*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sarky wrote: »
    you have to believe ON him

Am I the only one to think dodgy thoughts while reading this comment?

Beruthiel wrote: »

Thankfully, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Actually, most people (atheist, and religious) who believe in the concept of liberal democracy, freedom of expression and freedom of thought, tend to oppose blasphemy laws.

Such laws have nothing to do with religious beliefs and everything to do with state control and oppression!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm agnostic not atheist - I am also militantly secularist.
    My son is atheist - also militantly secularist.
    My OH is a Christian -also militantly secularist.
    My mother is a Catholic -also militantly secularist to the extent that she paid for me to go to a private non-denominational school.

The entire French State is secular - even though a poll in Jan 2007 by the Catholic World News stated that 51% of French people describe themselves as Catholic (although only 5% -10% of those attend Mass regularly :p). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France#Religion

Who is saying religion should be illegal - most secularists are saying religion is a private matter and should be kept separate from the civil State and not be allowed to dictate policy, education, healthcare etc.

Should citizens who are members of a particular religion wish to follow the 'laws' of that religion they are free to do so as long as these 'laws' do not conflict with civil laws.
    What they should not have is the right to expect those who do not share their religious beliefs to also follow the 'laws' of their particular religion.

EDIT TO SAY: my son has informed me he is agnostic not atheist and insists I set the record straight. So everyone my son, whose boards.ie user name should be pedantic nit picker is not an atheist he is an agnostic militant secularist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

How come Atheists are against anti blasphemy laws but are OK with bashing other .....
    peoples beliefs and religions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheist_Ireland#In_the_news

Worst Troll Ever

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Beruthiel wrote: »

Been too long since I believed on someone good and proper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pot-kettle-black.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hit and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Aww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Have to agree with you op, I dont think anyone would disagree that we shouldnt have free speech and anti-blasphemy laws are a good thing because it keeps whats sacred sacred.

Also agree with the second part that Atheists do like bashing people. Also you know what the say about opinions, Atheists opinions are that there's no God and they want to force others not to believe while religious folk believe in god and just want to live in peace. And as they're both opinions (one opinion is there is a god and the other no god) both can be right.

The thing I dont get is if Atheists dont like religion in the state so much then why dont they just move to communist china, or even closer to the non-religious Mecca France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The thing I dont get is if Atheists dont like religion in the state so much then why dont they just move to communist china, or even closer to the non-religious Mecca France.

Because we want to stay and save ye from yourselves. Can I get an amen brother?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you op
    Are you also wondering why atheists who love bashing religion are so anti the blasphemy laws?

Because that one had me scratching my head too.

Advertisement