Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

T-Shirt Swim

Because Fridays tend to be my rest day if I take a rest day, when I don't take a Friday off it's then like a bonus day. Today was a bonus day. Yay!

Gorgeous out....water was 88 degrees....body felt grand....feet still really white. Note to self: work on tanning feet this weekend. And because today was a bonus day, I felt I had carte blanche to be a little unconventional by digging out my trusty 100% super absorbent cotton t-shirt with "Cool Cucumber" written across the chest and donning it for tonight's swim. I used to wear this shirt all the time a few summer's ago while swimming laps - it creates great drag and gives me more bang for my buck by forcing me to work harder. Tonight I wanted that extra drag. :)

3,000 yards in predictable Friday fashion:
    400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim
    200 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

I'll be wearing this shirt from time to time during my swim sessions over the next few months leading up to the August triathlon that I have yet to sign up for but have ordered a tri suit for (so excited!). It's an awesome feeling when the shirt comes off and you are effortlessly skimming the surface due to the lack of weight and drag. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Field Run

Super run tonight. The evening was perfect weather-wise, in the 60s and clear, and I just felt good from a physical standpoint. Not much activity in the field and I didn't take my iPod, but this lack of external stimuli allowed me to concentrate on my form (hello griffin!) and practice leaning forward while going downhill. I also experimented with leaning forward while not running downhill wondering if this might somehow help "pull" me forward and make me faster without expending additional energy, and I think it may have done just that! I have never had anyone watch my form other than dear, sweet and elderly Mrs. Dougans who I see when I run on the Greenway, wears too much lipstick, calls me Pocohantis, and says I run like a gazelle so, I am pretty clueless about proper form....but....any way....

Somethings that you learn early on in your training never seem to leave you, those that coach juveniles probably realize that they are leaving lasting impressions deep deep down in the sub conscious that automatically comes to the fore when needed. I see that in some of your swim sessions and every now and then the voice of my first coach pops in to my head.
    Running technique, is leaning forward the result or is a more efficient, economical running style the desired output? We were always thought to run tall and drills would be focused on this with our coach shouting encouraging from the side lines. When we gathered, the advice would be 'picture a thread attached to the top of your head and someone pulling you upwards, then get your hips to push slightly forward', both of these get you off your heels and more onto your mid-foot. Whenever I'm tired I repeat in head 'run tall, hips forward' in that same voice that's ingrained in my memory from 30 years ago.
    I've just google'd run tall, hips forward and there's quite a few articles: http://goo.gl/X0e1g

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Somethings that you learn early on in your training never seem to leave you, those that coach juveniles probably realize that they are leaving lasting impressions deep deep down in the sub conscious that automatically comes to the fore when needed. I see that in some of your swim sessions and every now and then the voice of my first coach pops in to my head.
    Running technique, is leaning forward the result or is a more efficient, economical running style the desired output? We were always thought to run tall and drills would be focused on this with our coach shouting encouraging from the side lines. When we gathered, the advice would be 'picture a thread attached to the top of your head and someone pulling you upwards, then get your hips to push slightly forward', both of these get you off your heels and more onto your mid-foot. Whenever I'm tired I repeat in head 'run tall, hips forward' in that same voice that's ingrained in my memory from 30 years ago.
    I've just google'd run tall, hips forward and there's quite a few articles: http://goo.gl/X0e1g

Thanks for the info and google link. I found it funny that my thread with your post popped up as the second blurb :), but I had a quick look at some of the others and there are some interesting nuggets in there. I watched a video on posture and I could see what a "slight lean forward" looks like, and this does make sense to me.....along with running tall and not bouncing up and down and so on. All good things I need to concentrate on while running. So thank you again.

And, regarding the voices of my swimming coaches of years past, oh there is still an involuntary recall of some of their pearls of wisdom - funny how that happens. However, there are some non-technique tid bits using very colorful language from a wound-tight female military coach who wielded a yard stick during practice that I'd like to forget. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

T-Shirt Swim

my trusty 100% super absorbent cotton t-shirt with "Cool Cucumber" written across the chest and donning it for tonight's swim. I used to wear this shirt all the time a few summer's ago while swimming laps - it creates great drag and gives me more bang for my buck by forcing me to work harder.

I'm gonna try this. Have to say, DD, your log is a mine for swim training tips. Lately I've found myself passing on some of your sage advice to others, you should write up a post collecting all your tips so we can staple it to the inside of our goggles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll be wearing this shirt from time to time during my swim sessions over the next few months leading up to the August triathlon that I have yet to sign up for but have ordered a tri suit for (so excited!). It's an awesome feeling when the shirt comes off and you are effortlessly skimming the surface due to the lack of weight and drag. :D

Used to have to do that when I was doing lifesaving. Bloody tough it is.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our swim coach made us wear shirts once. We must have been so pathetic he never tried it again. He did make us swim with wrist and ankle weights though, and like you say, the relief and ease when you get rid of them is brilliant.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm gonna try this. Have to say, DD, your log is a mine for swim training tips. Lately I've found myself passing on some of your sage advice to others, you should write up a post collecting all your tips so we can staple it to the inside of our goggles.

Shucks, thanks! :D
    Make sure the shirt is cotton so it absorbs the water to max the weight and drag. I can't exactly remember why, but I did cut out the sleeves in the shirt - perhaps it could have been that the sleeves were messing with my stroke, which you don't want to do.
    Used to have to do that when I was doing lifesaving. Bloody tough it is.

Yep, had to practice saving someone while fully clothed - remember that well. You'd practically sink to the bottom.

The clothing thing started for me when one of my coaches would make all of us who qualified for an annual Allstar meet practice in various degrees of dress in preparation for that meet. The point was to create drag so we'd be forced to work harder and get more power, and then the bonus was the physical and mental boost in the way you'd feel sans clothing for the race - high, strong, and fast. We'd wear the clothing for two weeks solid leading up to the meet, then we'd take them off only the day before the meet to experience the awesome and weightless way we'd feel. In some respects, it was similar to shaving before a meet - part of the psych, but with real physical benefits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wear an old pair of shoes too kurt...

Proper Bike Ride

So, is it normal to feel violated after you've just been drafted off of by 3 total strangers??? :eek::confused: I was motoring along pretty well for the first 6 or 7 miles and I had passed 4 people - hubby was behind me somewhere, he lets me go ahead of him and then he catches up with me by the time we finish our first out. Any way...as I said, I passed 4 people (two groups of 2), but shortly after I passed the second group, apparently a lone cyclist caught those 2, then those 2 hooked on with him, then all 3 attached themselves to me!! Sheesh!!! Two of the three passed me, but I ended up passing one of them and totally dropped the third. Hubby was not far behind and caught back up to me after all the drama. ;)

Good ride....I felt strong and comfortable. I did draft a little bit off hubby on the backs, but not like I did that first weekend when I was learning the art. Stats will reflect some of that drafting, but I am definitely improving. I still suffer and am poor on the bike, but I'm actually enjoying it. I don't clip in, don't know how and have never tried, but I feel at this stage of the game I best leave it alone for the August tri. After August, if I decide I want to participate in more triathlons, I will look into investing in a real bike (mine is cheap and not high quality, but it's my friend) and learn to clip in.

Stats per Garmin:
    25.3 miles in 1:21:22 for an average speed of 18.7 mph with a top speed of 34.1 mph.

Field Recovery Run

Just a relaxing trot around the field in 88 degree sun shiny weather. Upon setting out on this run, I decided to go easy because of the heat, the hard bike ride I had just completed, and the fact that I'd like to get a quality run in tomorrow, so I told myself that I'd be happy with my pace being an easy breezy 9:30ish but I also told myself to let the run unfold however it unfolded as long as I stayed relaxed and not taxed.

Felt good.....legs not too tired....never pushed it......thought about body position and feet strike/time on the ground. Now I'm lounging by the pool cooling off after a dip and writing in this log. ;) Will do a short swim this evening to finish out the day in style.

6.2 mles in 55:57.72 for an average pace of 9:01.

• Advertisement

Swim

A short swim in the cucumber t-shirt to finish the day in style. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous evening here - really wish I could share it with you folks.

2,000 yards:
    400 each swim, pull, swim, pull, swim. No kicking tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wear an old pair of shoes too kurt...

Have a nice pair of turfcutter boots, if you'll tie the laces?

6 O'Clock in the Morning Run

This was tough. I wanted to get a quality run in to gauge where I am running-wise, but in my decision to do a LSR at 6:00 in the morning (before the sun is up and scorching the earth) I failed to consider nutrition, possible lack of sleep, and the bike/run/swim in the sun I did less than 24 hours before. I didn't eat a thing before I ran, I barely slept last night, and my thighs and glutes were screaming bloody murder at me from pushing on the bike yesterday. Long story short, the first mile felt good, second mile okay, miles three and four were probably my best, but somewhere around mile 5 is when I realized I hadn't had a thing to eat and I was feeling sluggish, and then on mile 6 my thighs and glutes were so sore that it felt like I was tearing them up with each stride I took....so reluctantly I decided it was best for my body to stop. I had hoped to go 12 miles, but it was not to be at this time.

Will eat some breakfast now.....then definitely hit the pool and maybe another attempt at a run, but it will probably be a recovery run. With my official marathon training beginning next weekend, I will have to sort all this triathlon/marathon training out and how they can work together and not against each other.

6.7 miles in 53:53.75 for an average pace of 8:02 min/mile.
    Splits: 7:55, 8:06, 7:58, 7:53, 8:03, 8:04, 5:53 (cool down at 8:25)

Swim

Spent most of the day puttering about the pool - cleaning, backwashing, and all that jazz. Did manage to get 3,000 yards in, but not before I burned my feet and my back (did not have sun screen on)...and not to mention the tops of my hands that I burned yesterday while cycling. Decent swim, and I would have done more but I basically ran out of time. Body's a little beat up from the weekend - legs and glutes are sore from cycling, lower abs are sore from running, and shoulders are sore from swimming in my t-shirt. Plan on relaxing tonight!

3,000 yards
    400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim
    200 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

jaysus take it easy before you kill yourself!!!! your some woman!!:)

Trig1 wrote: »
    jaysus take it easy before you kill yourself!!!! your some woman!!:)

That's funny because I am feeling a bit like a slacker since I had intended on doing more today than I actually got done. But thanks. You've lifted my spirits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Meaty traning weekend again... Oh How I'd love a pool in my back yard and the climate to use it! Hey, don't mind the carry on over in Oryx's log you are still my hocchiedoubledee and if JB wants to come over here and throw shapes I'll soon beat his short ass down :D

Meaty traning weekend again... Oh How I'd love a pool in my back yard and the climate to use it! Hey, don't mind the carry on over in Oryx's log you are still my hocchiedoubledee and if JB wants to come over here and throw shapes I'll soon beat his short ass down :D

You sure know how to sweet talk a gal. ;)

Trainer

Immediately after work I had to deal with a very frustrating, aggravating, blood-pressure-raising situation....so not only was I running behind on my evening session, but I was stressed and pissed and dropping f-bombs right and left. And all that negative energy translated into chewing up the bike and spitting out hard/fast miles. :) Each time I upped the effort, once I got to that upped effort it was easy to stay there. Momentum. I kept this crazy pace up for the first 10 miles, then I had to let it go. But it felt good.

30 angry miles.

All better now. :D

Angry training can be great training. And dropping f bombs, lol. I love it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oryx wrote: »
    Angry training can be great training. And dropping f bombs, lol. I love it. :)

+1

Nothing like taking the anger and frustration out on the pavement after a bad day at work. Unfortunately it seems like those bad days are becoming more and more regular :mad:

Fancy a lifestyle swap for a week?! :(

claralara wrote: »
    +1

Nothing like taking the anger and frustration out on the pavement after a bad day at work. Unfortunately it seems like those bad days are becoming more and more regular :mad:

Fancy a lifestyle swap for a week?! :(

Well, I'll be in your fine country for a week coming up, so if you'd like to stay at a house in Viriginia nestled between two mountains on 20 acres with a pool and two house cats from July 4th until the 11th, then perhaps we can make a deal!! But seriously, you always seem to make lemonade out of lemons, so I think your life(style) is pretty dang awesome. ;)

Tri suit just arrived. All my favorite colors - black with purple insets and green piping. Looks uber cool - just hope it fits and I like it. May test it out for tonight's swim.

I was looking at two PI suits in the tri shop yesterday. They looked quality. May you have many happy races in her. :)

Thanks! And I got the one without the built-in bra (your suggestion) and no seam in the crotch (my preference) - so win, win....unless I suck at tris and choke. Ah, but it's just for the fun of it any way, right??

Have fun with your taper. You are an amazing woman.

Holy crap....just tried the tri suit on and I LOVE it. Good god, though, it looks like I should know what I'm doing.....like I've earned it, which I haven't. No way am I practicing in this baby - it's got "serious racer" written all over it....which then makes me feel like I've just created more work and pressure for myself. :eek: Better get my arse in the pool....now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Holy crap....just tried the tri suit on and I LOVE it. Good god, though, it looks like I should know what I'm doing.....like I've earned it, which I haven't. No way am I practicing in this baby - it's got "serious racer" written all over it....which then makes me feel like I've just created more work and pressure for myself. :eek: Better get my arse in the pool....now!
    Read this just before I drop off to sleep. Sweet dreams me...!

Read this just before I drop off to sleep. Sweet dreams me...!

;)

And I, on the other hand, am too excited to sleep!!! It is so freaking cool......

Swim

Between the added pressure this new wickedly cool tri suit has piled on me and shotgun's impressive OW swim, I attacked this session head-on and owned it. I kept the structure simple, but I wanted quality in varying respects. Highlights as follows:

- 2k swim.....was amazingly strong throughout this entire straight swim. I felt high in the water and had solid upper body strength, which I attribute to my recent t-shirt sessions.

- 2k fast pull/kick sets.....which I always treat as sprints. I did 10 sets, and only took a break after 5 sets. Upper body was getting a bit fatigued by the end of these.

- 2k t-shirt swim.....I tossed on the cucumber t-shirt because I felt it paid dividends in tonight's first 2k swim. This was tough, but I approached it for what it was - a deliberate slog through the water that relied on pure muscle to propel me forward. The stroke was slow, but I kept it true.

6,000 yards:
    2,000 swim
    10 x (120 pull, 80 kick)
    2,000 t-shirt swim

Field Run

Stellar evening, and it was time for a run. With the addition of swimming, my running mileage is way down and I could tell at the start of this run that my body seemed confused to be upright and moving forward quickly by means of my feet. :( I tend to like to obsess on one thing and hone that skill, so this triathlon training is somewhat of an emotional/mental/logistical challenge for me....and wait until marathon training begins next week! I'm a little concerned. :eek:

8 miles was on the docket tonight, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to approach it so I decided to just start running. The first mile felt a bit off, but I settled into a rhythm on mile two. Got stung by a bee on mile three, but I kept going. On mile four I wondered if, after only one year of running, I had peaked in the speed/pace department - haunted by thoughts that my fastest miles were behind me. Mile five brought more crazy thoughts, then on mile six I made a deal with myself to open it up for the last two miles to prove I could still run at a sub 8 minute/mile pace in the field without blowing up. I didn't blow up. In fact, I felt pretty good, and the mantra that quite randomly popped in my head on those last two miles was run like a Kenyan. :)

8.31 miles in 1:06:35 for an average pace of 7:59 min/mile

Splits: 8:28, 8:09, 8:01, 7:53, 7:57, 7:56, 7:40, 7:26, 2:52 (cool down at 9:10)

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention that during last night's run I practiced several of the tidbits that were contained in the articles/links a few of you sent me regarding running body position. I definitely have to think about what I am doing, and it's easy for me to get distracted in my thoughts and get sloppy, but I will continue to practice and experiment with what works for me, so I thank you folks for looking after me. :)

Swim

Just a gal in her cucumber t-shirt with a few of her favorite toys singing show tunes while swimming some laps under a glorious evening sky. Nuff said.

4,000 yards:
    2 x (400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim)

Advertisement