Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comic relief in the bible?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Lots of stories great and bad have comic relief in them does the bible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm... http://www.thetruthforyouth.com/standard/main.htm

not really what you asked for but... uh..

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Mordeth wrote:

That site disturbs me. I'd laugh if I didn't know it was serious...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kipperhell wrote:
    Lots of stories great and bad have comic relief in them does the bible?
    Maybe there was once but it didn't survive the edits.

Is there a point here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Maybe there was once but it didn't survive the edits.

Is there a point here?

Perhaps he means that humour might have been used to demonstrate a point or belief? Maybe the Israelites had some sort of Spitting Image back in their day, which eventually lost the humour and became the story of Samson?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't remember the exact context but:

Theres a part in the bible where someone (probably Israelites) had God on their side, but still weren't able to beat the enemy because the enemy had iron chariots.

After a moment if occured to me what a horrifying behemoth an iron chariot must be to a primitive person. You try throwing rocks at it, shooting it with arrows, it won't even go on fire ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mordeth wrote:

Why am I only seeing this now?
    Frightening beyond words but...so bloody funny at the same time. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zillah wrote:
    I don't remember the exact context but:

Theres a part in the bible where someone (probably Israelites) had God on their side, but still weren't able to beat the enemy because the enemy had iron chariots.

After a moment if occured to me what a horrifying behemoth an iron chariot must be to a primitive person. You try throwing rocks at it, shooting it with arrows, it won't even go on fire ffs.

I found this.

It seemed they p1ssed God right off so hence no help. But as soon as they got together an army of ten thousand men, God was on their side again. Do you think God supports Chelsea?

Some very amusing innuendos at the end tho: "he entered her tent, and she put a covering over him." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

5uspect wrote:
    I found this.

Damn the bible is weird. I like how it explains how one army defeated the other, and then it refers to how God defeated the army.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mordeth, what a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Mordeth wrote:

That is absolutely hilarious.

"EVOLUTION IS RACIST!"

"DRUGS AND DRUNKENNESS LEAD ONLY TO PAIN AND DEATH!"

"ROCK MUSIC IS SCARY AND EVIL!"

Ahh, devout christians. So entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

from site

The last four letters of the word
    "AMERICAN" are "I-CAN" not "I-RAN

what does that mean...?

ok I better go or the 'watchmen' might report me to tim todd(yes thta is his real name):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

stevejazzx wrote:
    from site

The last four letters of the word
    "AMERICAN" are "I-CAN" not "I-RAN

what does that mean...?

I think it means..
    Americans kick middle eastern ass.. America, F**k Yeah.. w00t.. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Oh I got the twisted intention that they intended, it's just that when you read it slowly and logically it says

Americans are 'I can' people
    Whereas Iranians are 'I ran' people.

There are a number of probelms with this.
    The sentence is intellectually defunct. It generalises two nations into either 'I can' and 'I ran' for the sake of nothing it would seem other than a daft rhyme.
    Even if we take the statement at face value. What exactly is it saying about Iranian people. That they run? that they run away from hardship or some other such nonsense? It's so general, it means nothing.
    What does the phrase 'I can' say about Americans? Again just vague inferences, nonsense.
    Why Iran? Other than obvious rhyming potential, why not Iraq who they are more directly involved with at the moment. No reason just that Iran and 'American' rhyme, well almost. See, if we extract 'I can' from American it rhymes, see?
    Imagine, these idiots must be marginally more intelligent than the other idiots who listen to them. Thats quite a feat.

Advertisement