Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling prints in shops, advice pleeease!!!

• 20-05-2015 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I want to ask some local shops to take some of my art prints. What's standard protocol for selling through someone else's business. What would be a normal percentage for them to ask for, and when would I get my money? Would they pay for the stock up front, or when they make sales? I mean when would I get my percentage?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's very important that you have your costings done, first thing they will ask is, what the retail price. If it 50 euro, they will usually take 25 plus vat.

Expect the sale price to be double what you get, you get the whole sale price, they get the retail price.

They may not take a chance on you so they may ask for 'sale or return', you leave your work with them for a period of time, you come back and you are only paid for what sells, you take the rest back.

Have you looked at etsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And on sale or return be prepared for stock to come back damaged, or even disappear entirely. You have absolutely no control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ArtMonkey

Thanks wmpdd3 and looksee, I'm not sure it's a good option for me, from what you've both said. Maybe I'll look at it again in the future, but not now.

I am on Etsy, wmpdd3, slow going so far, hoping it will pick up given some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Get on Pinterest and pin your water marked prints, this will increase traffic to your etsy shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just seen this now thought I would comment as I have a shop that sells prints!

In terms of getting paid its up to you how you want to structure it right now a lot of places operate on a payment up front for the initial order then are more flexible on further orders sale or return is very much expected now even if you don't mention it then its assumed. The norm for prints is for the retail price to be 2.5x the ex-vat wholesale price so consider then when pricing your stuff. Its good to get started now and try get into a few places as although prints don't sell massively during the summer they are huge at Christmas and you don't want to leave it to late to try get into places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement