Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL with a history of depression

• 08-05-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey all - apologies if this has been asked before but I didn't find anything on a search.

I'm hoping to start training for my PPL in the next year or so, but I am currently on a low-dose SSRI antidepressant (Venlafaxine, if it matters) that I started while I was in college. I'm probably going to be coming off them soon - I'm not sure I ever actually needed them to begin with, but weaning yourself off them is an unpleasant experience once you've taken them so I just stayed on them.

Will this affect me getting a medical certificate for a PPL? I don't have any intentions of seeking a commercial rating, but after Germanwings I've been worrying that maybe past or current SSRI use is a major obstacle.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

first thing's first, I'm not a doctor, and I don't recall anyone on this forum identifying themselves as one, so the best advice I can give you is go talk to real aero-medical doctor, they are genuinely interested on you getting that med-cert and treat you really nicely.

Now down to business - depression itself will not prevent you from getting that med-cert. However, I'm pretty sure, medication you are on is a mood-disorder controlling drug, and that most likely will be a show stopper. See if you can get rid of it, again - can't stress this enough - seek professional advice - but showing interest in new hobbies might convince your MD to stop giving you drugs.. see how you get on without them, flying is a drug on it's own, with any luck, you will be replacing one for another and will never know depression again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Have a look at
    http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2499/Depression%20FC%20v2.0.pdf
    and
    http://asmameeting.org/asma2013_mp/pdfs/asma2013_present_447.pdf

Obviously these are the CAA regulations although as far as I know, they are similar to Irish regulations.

SSRI are acceptable for pilots licences. There are more restrictions for BiPolar/asymmetrical depression. They be looking for stability over a course of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭basill

Clearly nobody has a crystal ball but I would be asking the medics what they see coming down the line from EASA once the final Germanwings reports are out. It's an awfully expensive business flying whether for leisure or work and it would be a shame for you to spend lots of money on something that you could possibly get little enjoyment from.

Advertisement