Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catholic Church Demands A Role In New State Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Found this in another forum but thought it should exist here too (I hope that's not against any rules).

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/church-demands-key-role-in-new-secondary-schools-1472013.html

And if their position is rejected, they expect the state to bus children to faith-based schools!

It seems to be an unusually strong statement from the Church. I guess they weren't worried as long as they had the right to indoctrinate children. "Give me a child of 8...."

I've only ever accepted the argument that the Catholic Church remains entrenched in the schools - and in receipt of my atheist taxes - because it owns most of them. If they want to be involved in newly established schools, they should establish them themselves - and if Catholic parents want Catholic schools, let them ask for them, or let them make their schools Catholic themselves.

annoyed,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'd back that - they want to educate kids and offer choice in education then fine. Build a school, charge fees and get on with it. Let parents vote with thier kids - they want a faith based education then they can but it shouldn't be part of the "official" education system. Why should I subsadise teh catholic church's brainwashing of the young?

I particularly liked the line in the article about the Dept only considering "cost and budget" when establishing a school. I assume that this is instead of considering that
    "Catholic schools are communities with a characteristic spirit that permeates all aspects of school life, and the notion that this could be confined to religious instruction classes is a grave misconception"

*shudder* The sooner they can be weeded out of the education system the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Down with this sort of thing.

Careful now.

Im gonna echo the sentiments of Scofflaw and --amadeus-- here and say why the heck should they have control? What have they done to earn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

They were ordained by jebus and charged with the brainwashing of the young 2000 years ago, shortly after the great flood and before the pyramids were built (I think, though I might be wrong on that,)they take this holy mission very seriously.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Found this in another forum but thought it should exist here too (I hope that's not against any rules)
    Hardly since I posted the story this afternoon in the schools thread on this page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I know solution - kick the church out of education and science. They know nothing about it and should stay far from it.

MrPudding wrote: »
    They were ordained by jebus and charged with the brainwashing of the young 2000 years ago, shortly after the great flood and before the pyramids were built (I think, though I might be wrong on that,)they take this holy mission very seriously.

MrP

No no no, you've got it all wrong. The flood happened during what we atheist materialist archaeologists [/i]think[/i] was the rise of Egypt and Sumeria, but we're all wrong see, because there's no sign of a flood during their reign. But the flood definitely definitely happened ok? So they actually arose just after it. In fact, the world was repopulated with empires a nomadic cultures from the middle east out to America in the space of about 200 years from the offspring of, like, 8 people. Then Jebus showed up 2000 years later and mentioned that, like, the flood was real and junk and that's how we know it was real even though there's no "archaeological proof" or whatever.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I know solution - kick the church out of education and science. They know nothing about it and should stay far from it.

I dunno, I learned science in a catholic school and I did just fine. They even taught me evolution as if it were fact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aye, the catholic churches aren't real offenders when it comes to teaching science or accepting evolution.

It's more the thought of them force feeding the whole catholic take on the bible story to impressionable young minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I dunno, I always believed in secularism as the only equilibrium between different religions and traditions. Catholic schools belongs to Church so they, theoretically, can anything they want there.

But state schools, kindergartens and government offices should stay free from church as well as from other organizations and religious or political influences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I dunno, I always believed in secularism as the only equilibrium between different religions and traditions. Catholic schools belongs to Church so they, theoretically, can anything they want there.

But state schools, kindergartens and government offices should stay free from church as well as from other organizations and religious or political influences.
    but they recieve funding from the government to run thus they are not totally catholic schools.

I thought the archbishop of somewhere was all for giving the schools to the government/people if they want them and wanted to start discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dades wrote: »
    Hardly since I posted the story this afternoon in the schools thread on this page!

Sorry Dades! Didn't mean to steal your thunder. I only just saw that post! :o

Advertisement