Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

minecraft on xbox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

anyone playing let us know GT is benji87ftw

hosting again at the mo: king enda kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

This release coincided with getting sick, so I downloaded it to avoid cabin fever.

Never played the PC version, but the xbox version is a bit of fun. Have to say though that after a few days I've run out of things to do.

I have my house built up as much as I want it to be, safe from all mobs, got my crops growing etc.
    Explored a few caves etc, nothing special there.
    Built a nether portal...again nothing too interesting after the initial explorations...

What else can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

BizzyC wrote: »
    This release coincided with getting sick, so I downloaded it to avoid cabin fever.

Never played the PC version, but the xbox version is a bit of fun. Have to say though that after a few days I've run out of things to do.

I have my house built up as much as I want it to be, safe from all mobs, got my crops growing etc.
    Explored a few caves etc, nothing special there.
    Built a nether portal...again nothing too interesting after the initial explorations...

What else can I do?

Minecraft is limited by your imagination...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Except there's no creative mode no xbox, only survival.... and also it would seem that most things that are available on PC are not on Xbox.

I could build myself a track to somewhere, but I'm not really interested in spending hours collecting enough Iron purely for the purpose of building a track to nowhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I heard in an interview pre release that said something about the xbox version will be the equivalent of version 1.6(?) and will only have a few modes and in time with free updates it will be eventually brought up to be a counterpart to the pc version.
    I've never played minecraft before and tbh, kinda scoffed at the want to play it.

But i cant remember the last time i was this addicted to a game before. It looks beautiful on a big telly. Which is strange as its just blocks. :pac:

Anyway. Is there any particularly good method to mining in this version? I've heard different ideas of how to find dungeons in pc versions but do they carry over? I've heard thats where all the best stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

anyone playing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Anyone else's game plagued with crashes? I was building the 500m track tunnel and I was starting to lay the tracks it crashes and I get the message: "Connection to server lost" even though I wasn't even playing online. It cost me over 1 and a half hours of tedious work. Also I had to ditch a save game because it wouldn't load- it just kept freezing my Xbox on the loading screen. Also whenever I come out of the Nether it seems to freeze my 360 and can only be fixed with a reset.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Anyone else's game plagued with crashes? I was building the 500m track tunnel and I was starting to lay the tracks it crashes and I get the message: "Connection to server lost" even though I wasn't even playing online. It cost me over 1 and a half hours of tedious work. Also I had to ditch a save game because it wouldn't load- it just kept freezing my Xbox on the loading screen. Also whenever I come out of the Nether it seems to freeze my 360 and can only be fixed with a reset.

Plagued, no. But i have had a few issues.

The connection to server lost came up on me a few times, but it didnt kick me from the game. It did kick me when i was in other peoples, obviously.

Best way to counteract that is to uncheck online game when starting, even if you arent connected to the net.

My biggest issue at the moment is that i cant connect to some peoples games. Nearly everyone on my list is playing minecraft, but only about 3 of them can either play on my map or i can play on theirs.

For example, i cant connect to Rojomcdojo's server and neither can he connect to mine. But we can both connect to another persons server.
    Whenever i try to connect to his i get the 'server cannot be connected to' message. Anyone know any work arounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Best way to counteract that is to uncheck online game when starting, even if you arent connected to the net.

I have "Online Game" unchecked though!
    Whenever i try to connect to his i get the 'server cannot be connected to' message. Anyone know any work arounds?

May have something to do with your NAT? I'm not too sure about this one but that seems to be the only explanation. If not, these things just happen- you just can't connect to some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

benji87ftw and king enda kenny

I'll add you later if that's ok. Just looking for some leisurely Minecraft games from time to time and would like to see what you've built. I only got the game yesterday, so it's early days for me.

You can add me if you get a chance. GT is SteveDPirate

Cheers

Have been building for 2 weeks now, and I was playing last night the game froze during an autosave. Completely locked up, and I had to power the console off. Was really worried that the save file might have been corrupt. But when I loaded the game again, I was relieved it loaded the last save so I only lost about an hour of building.

Anybody else experience something like this, or any type of screen freeze?? It scared me that I could have lost all my work, so I've backed up the save file to the cloud.

Have been building for 2 weeks now, and I was playing last night the game froze during an autosave. Completely locked up, and I had to power the console off. Was really worried that the save file might have been corrupt. But when I loaded the game again, I was relieved it loaded the last save so I only lost about an hour of building.

Anybody else experience something like this, or any type of screen freeze?? It scared me that I could have lost all my work, so I've backed up the save file to the cloud.

Its happened me a few times playing games online, not just on MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I lost my first world after the save file became corrupted. I've since made sure that my new world's save is backed up on cloud frequently.

I've never played the PC version though from watching Toby Turner's playthrough of it, I realize we're missing out on a good bit. Hopefully they'll add more stuff to it soon.

Overall, I'm having fun though.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I lost my first world after the save file became corrupted. I've since made sure that my new world's save is backed up on cloud frequently.

I've never played the PC version though from watching Toby Turner's playthrough of it, I realize we're missing out on a good bit. Hopefully they'll add more stuff to it soon.

Overall, I'm having fun though.

Notch, whoever he is, said it will be given enough updates that eventually it will be on par with the PC version and also have some of its own unique features.

Yup!! The next update is hitting the Xbox version in around 2 weeks. Finally going to have pistons!! Woop! Got some great ideas to use them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yup!! The next update is hitting the Xbox version in around 2 weeks. Finally going to have pistons!! Woop! Got some great ideas to use them with.
    I'd imagine the updates for the xbox to come out a lot quicker than they did for the PC,

They've already done all the hard work for the PC version , so all they have to do it port it to the xbox version

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the updates for the xbox to come out a lot quicker than they did for the PC,

They've already done all the hard work for the PC version , so all they have to do it port it to the xbox version

The opposite is the case, sadly. Apparently the 4J are finding the porting quite challenging combined with the compulsory xbla testing window and there isn't even a hint of when the adventure update will be released.

Online is a complete bore without dedicated servers to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Do you not have the PC version ?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    compulsory xbla testing window and there isn't even a hint of when the adventure update will be released.

What is that? Like a story mode?

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    What is that? Like a story mode?

It's the one that adds rpg elements like a leveling system and villages etc. That said, it's still going to be pointless without dedicated servers!

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    It's the one that adds rpg elements like a leveling system and villages etc. That said, it's still going to be pointless without dedicated servers!

Sounds interesting. Not something i think i would spend so much time in, but would be good to have another mode.
    Dedicated servers are something i can see them doing. With all the arcade records they have broken since release it would be silly not too. Maybe something along the lines of what BF does.

BTW, you're a trooper for leaving your world open for people to jump in and out when you can. :)
    I only got on once after fiddling with my router settings, though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Adventure mode is only being released on the PC version on the 1st August and it's been said that its not even 100% ready. I wouldn't get my hopes up for it being on the Xbox any time soon.

For those wondering, its basically for adventure maps people build, it stops the user from breaking blocks etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think people are confusing the planned Adventure Mode with the Adventure Update, which was just a snazzy name for the ending of the Beta dev cycle (basically 1.8 and 1.9).

At this point I do think Bukkitjang and 4J are going to have to have a long sit-down together to work out a proper cross-platform solution to rebuild MC on; Java really isn't working out for anyone anymore.

The first update, 1.7.3 (which is meant to drop next week) is going to include some skins for your player to wear.

So you will have the 8 standard skins. Steve, Suit Steve, Blonde Steve, Black Steve etc and then there will be a pack which will include 40 skins for only around 140 MSP.

But these arent just variations of steve, some of them are xbox themed.
    The skins announced so far are:
    Master Chief
    Squidman
    ‘Splosion Man Scientist Danklef
    Old-School Trails Evolution
    Wizard
    Creeper Man
    ‘Splosion Man
    Trails Man
    Covenant Grunt
    King
    Jack of Blades
    Clayton Carmine
    Banjo
    Ms ‘Splosion
    Prisoner

Heres some images:

minechief.jpg

Pack1_Mix3_All_5.jpg

These ones are big:

Skin 1
    Skin 2
    Skin 3
    Skin 4

That's brilliant!! Can't wait for some new features to play around with.

Update is due @ 3am our time with:

http://playxbla.com/?p=11887
    Features:-
    - Added Pistons & Sticky Pistons.
    - Added Stackable fences.
    - Added Shears – required to get wool from sheep, and to collect leaf blocks.
    - TNT needs Flint and Steel or Redstone to detonate.
    - Redstone wire will now connect to a repeater.
    - New textures for Cobblestone and Brick.
    - Added Character Skin Selector to allow players to choose their skin from the default skins, or from Downloadable Content skin packs.
    - Added lighting improvements (brought forward from 1.8.2 update) and snow & rain improvements.
    - Added a save file cache to improve the speed of displaying the saves list.
    - Added ban list functionality to allow players to self-ban from levels they feel contain offensive content.
    - Added a ban list section to the How To Play menus.
    - Added an option for the host to limit online games to only players in their friends list (no friends of friends).
    - Added a seed display to the level load screen (requires existing levels to be saved out again to add the display).
    - Changed the tooltip display setting to in-game tooltip display, so that tooltips always display in menus.
    - Added the crosshair to the list of things affected by the opacity slider.
    - On using the quickselect bar, the opacity of the quickselect, tooltips, splitscreen gamertag display, and crosshair will be set to 80,
    and will fade back down to the user opacity setting after 6 seconds of no quickselect bar use.
    - Added some more Tips & Trivia to the loading/saving screen display.

Tutorial World changes & additions:-
    - Added optional tutorial for Pistons and Redstone.
    - Added a self-building bridge to the castle using Pistons.
    - Added some sugar cane, cactii and clay to the world.
    - Added a few other things for players to discover.

Fixes:-
    - Fix for only the host being shown the pop-up when any player attempts to place lava near the spawn point.
    - Fixed tooltip for Flint and Steel.
    - Fix for Note blocks not showing notes.
    - Fix for Leaderboard reads taking too long.
    - Fix to block players re-entering a level they have been kicked from, until the level is restarted.
    - Fix to stop players being able to join a game when they are not a friend of any player in the game.
    - Fix for Netherracks re-appearing after being mined.
    - Fix for a rare crash on entering the Nether.
    - Fix for attacking enemies at a different level not damaging them.
    - Fixed a problem causing some save games not to load.
    - Removed Herobrine.

Looks good!

Anybody build anything good with pistons yet?? Haven't been able to find any Slimes yet. Any ideas on where the best place is to find them??

Anybody build anything good with pistons yet?? Haven't been able to find any Slimes yet. Any ideas on where the best place is to find them??

I cant figure out how to get them to work with the repeaters. :o

AFAIK, aren't slimes found underground?

• Advertisement

The tutorial level has a chest with loads of pistons and redstone etc now if you want to get used to the redstone circuitry.

Built my first automatic piston door and piston repeater yesterday before my girlfriend made me turn it off :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU_YoY5hr4

Advertisement