Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for complete technophobe parent!

• 08-04-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for recommendations on a tablet that can be customised for a complete technophobe. When I say complete, I mean the ipad was too confusing as it had too much stuff on the main screen and instead of "Internet" was Safari, instead of Music was iTunes etc etc.

My idea would be for a main screen with:

Internet - YouTube - Photos - Music

and then as they get a little more used to it add things like

E-Mail - Camera - Calendar

One important thing to note is that they would need things clearly visible, maybe larger icons would be handy with larger font, that kind of thing.

I'd like there to be more than one button aswell, separate button for volume, main menu, back, power etc would be nice.

Screen would need to be at least 9 inches and apps would need to be simple in that it will be easy to stop and start music from an easy to read and browse playlist or file directory.

Would also like the tablet itself to be of decent quality, the ipad is very nice in terms of feel and build quality, something similar would be nice with a screen that is easy to see, from all angles and is responsive etc.

Suggestions would be very welcome on this! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If ipad was confusing, android qill be even worse.

I'd say he needs ipad + some tech education.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't fully agree with that, I think android has the capability of being customised in such a way that will make it very easy to do the basic functions, more so than on an ipad, it's just a matter of finding the right device and rom/settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

cormie wrote: »
    I don't fully agree with that, I think android has the capability of being customised in such a way that will make it very easy to do the basic functions, more so than on an ipad, it's just a matter of finding the right device and rom/settings.

Just. No.
    ipad much simpler to use. Also less likely to go wrong. I've not seen an android tablet that doesn't have annoying bugs requiring you to go into settings and muck about till you solve problem or else do factory reset and start from scratch.

The tablet will have 4 primary uses, viewing photos, listening to music, looking at videos on youtube and maybe the odd google search.

With the iPad, even the fact that music and internet aren't even named as such has thus far proven too much.

Bear in mind, the person who this would be for, already has an ipad and doesn't use it.

I'm thinking to just have 1 home screen, no flicking between screens or anthing, 1 home screen, 4 icons, each with their own obvious function.

Is there a device and ROM that could suit I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

For a start, the person already owns the simplest, easiest to use tablet available.

You want:
    "Internet - YouTube - Photos - Music"

On an ipad:
    YouTube is called: Youtube
    Photos is called: Photos
    Music is called: Music
    which leaves only one item
    Internet is called Safari, now that can't be too difficult to learn.

On your home screen, move all the "unwanted apps" to another screen

• Advertisement

Isn't music called "itunes" or "iPod" or something? Also, the fixed taskbar at the bottom is again adding more clutter to what I believe could be a much simpler starting point to get the person to actually use the device and not be presented with something so off-putting on turning on the device.

Isn't music called "itunes" or "iPod" or something?

Not any more, now it's called "Music"

As for the task bar, why not put the 4 icons you need in it (Music, Safari, YouTube and Photos) and forget about the rest ?

summit like this ??

photove.png

Might give that a go, is that definitely possible with ipad 1?

Is it possible to get music or photos from a laptop to the ipad WITHOUT itunes or any other third party software, just drag and drop and open it with some app on the ipad itself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I agree with the guys above. If you already have an iPad and he can't use it then you may be wasting your money getting a new tablet.
    However, Android can be as easy to use as an iPad. I don't get the arguments from people saying it's more complicated. It is more customisable but you don't have to customise it, you can keep it as simple as an iPad if you want.

Here's a couple of screenshots from my Xoom that would be all your dad needs.

Firstly here's just a few icons.
    1.png
    Google Play does require some tech skills (from you). You need to use a US proxy to sign your dad up. This only needs to be done once. From then on you can upload music to his account and the music will appear on his tablet. He doesn't even need to be in the same house. As long as he can connect to WiFi it'll download the music.
    There are simpler options where you just any music player (MortPlayer is good) and just copy the music over using a USB cable.

If he's one step up from Technophobe here are more options.
    2.png

Here I've replaced the browser with a bookmark widget. Any bookmarks added to the device get put in here and the widget is scrollable, so as long as he can get back to the home screen (by pressing the home button) he can scroll to the website he wants and always be able to open it. My thinking there is you could set up his bookmarks for him. He'll eventually be able to do it himself but it can't get any simpler than seeing the icon for the site and hitting it.
    I've put on the Music widget too. Flicking through music is as hard as hitting the next and previous buttons. If he wanted to get into the music player he'd just hit the album icon.

A common complaint I hear is that iPad is better because it has only one button. You can see above that the Xoom has 3. One is to go back (if you're in a web page it goes back, if you're in an album it goes back). The other is to go Home. The third is to swap between running apps. I never use it. But you can see that having 3 buttons does not require a degree in rocket science. For some technophobe users having the back button change locations in different apps would be a problem I would think.

• Advertisement

Might give that a go, is that definitely possible with ipad 1?

Is it possible to get music or photos from a laptop to the ipad WITHOUT itunes or any other third party software, just drag and drop and open it with some app on the ipad itself?

Yes, that screenshot is from my iPad 1.

Not really, but what's the problem with iTunes, it's free, it works.
    Just tick what you want to sync and plug it in.

However, Android can be as easy to use as an iPad. I don't get the arguments from people saying it's more complicated. It is more customisable but you don't have to customise it, you can keep it as simple as an iPad if you want.

Androids crash alot more. Usually requires some knowledge and tinkering to fix it.
    Yes, that screenshot is from my iPad 1.

Not really, but what's the problem with iTunes, it's free, it works.
    Just tick what you want to sync and plug it in.

To be fair now zimmerframe, the little dots show that that is the right most screen - i.e. not the screen you will see when you turn it on first. AFAIK you can't delete all the apps on the home screen

To be fair now zimmerframe, the little dots show that that is the right most screen - i.e. not the screen you will see when you turn it on first.

Jeez, happy now, moved to the left for you.

AFAIK you can't delete all the apps on the home screen

WRONG :confused:

photo2x.png

Thanks a lot for the replies again everyone.

Problem with iTunes, I don't want it anywhere near my computer, I don't like the way it works and would much rather the drag and drop functionality of android.

mickoneil, that's what I was thinking alright and the widgets would also make things a lot easier also. Infact, maybe a complete widget set-up would be best, this way there wouldn't be the trap of getting stuck in an app and you can just swipe screen to screen to do what's needed. I don't know how possible this is, to browse music file directories, webpages, photos from a widget without opening the complete app itself?

Android may crash, but probably not just performing basic functions and not messing about too much, often anyway?

You reckon the Motorolla Xoom would be a good one to go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Problem with iTunes, I don't want it anywhere near my computer, I don't like the way it works and would much rather the drag and drop functionality of android.

mickoneil, that's what I was thinking alright and the widgets would also make things a lot easier also. Infact, maybe a complete widget set-up would be best, this way there wouldn't be the trap of getting stuck in an app and you can just swipe screen to screen to do what's needed. I don't know how possible this is, to browse music file directories, webpages, photos from a widget without opening the complete app itself?

Android may crash, but probably not just performing basic functions and not messing about too much, often anyway?

Again, the idea of an Android tablet for technophobes is a terrible idea. I know from my own parents customization is the worst possible feature that they could have, they need something that they can't accidentally screwed with, that's completely locked down and that's the iPad.

As for Drag and drop, is the device for you are your parents? It's a feature I'd value but if they're anything like my lot you might as well be trying to explain quantum physics, it's a concept that'd be beyond them. Also there's no need iTunes on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Not sure why you are asking for advice op if your just going to ignore it. The ipad is the simplest tablet around. If that isn't simple enough you'll just have to sitdown with your father and explain how to use it as there isn't a technical solution here.

Androids crash alot more. Usually requires some knowledge and tinkering to fix it.

Now that's just ill informed. If the device crashes you reboot it.

Androids may crash a lot more, if you buy the 90 euro ones. I've a Xoom, my missus has a Xoom. Neither of our tablets crash. I can't say never but it's so long ago that mine crashed that I can't remember when it was.
    I didn't show you screenshots of my normal screen. It has widgets and icons all over the place. I use mine at least 2 hours a day. Every so often I install an app that has problems (rarely), the complicated procedure for those is to uninstall the dodgy app.

I've no problem with the Xoom and would recommend it. I have mine just over a year now. I was going to get a newer model but after seeing reviews comparing them on Youtube with the Xoom I cant justify the extra expense yet.

You get what you pay for. The cheaper ones may be fine for you too though.

For the scrolling widgets you need at least Honeycomb so bear that in mind.

Again, the idea of an Android tablet for technophobes is a terrible idea. I know from my own parents customization is the worst possible feature that they could have, they need something that they can't accidentally screwed with, that's completely locked down and that's the iPad.

I know little about the iPad so I'm not being smart here. Can you explain how the iPad is more locked down than the Android. I posted some screenshots up on post 11. What would a technophobe do to shag those up that they couldn't do on an iPad?

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'm not ignoring the ipad suggestions at all, have been looking into how I can rearrange the ipad to make it less cluttered etc so can give that a go first. So far, the ipad hasn't worked.

The drag and drop won't be used at all other than for me putting stuff onto it in the first place, they won't have a clue how it got on or what drag and drop even is, but it's just to make it easier for me to put new things on they can enjoy more.

With regards being locked down, I definitely agree that they shouldn't be customising anything themselves as they'd mess it up, but you can lock the desktop on android to prevent this so that should combat such an issue?

I know android in general is a lot more customisable, techy etc than the iPad, but I'd be looking to make the android as simple as possible. The question is, can it be made even MORE simple than the iPad after a bit of tinkering?

Now that's just ill informed. If the device crashes you reboot it.

No its not ill informed its experience. Rebooting is not always enough to fix problems. Speaking of direct experience of archos g10. Also have played with various samsung tablets and they strike me as schoking glitchy things (althou this is doubtless down to Honeycomb no samsung).

OP I don't understand thou - if your parent will not use an ipad - what makes you think they will use an android. They are not so different that they will suddenly become enamoured with an android if they didn't take to an ipad.

Don't waste your money on something that won't get used. Better to put effort into making the ipad easier for them to use.

• Advertisement

I know android in general is a lot more customisable, techy etc than the iPad, but I'd be looking to make the android as simple as possible. The question is, can it be made even MORE simple than the iPad after a bit of tinkering?

I spent 2 minutes of tinkering and came up with this.
    3.png

I installed Go Launcher.
    I turned off the multiple screens so there is only one screen for them to see (no swiping left & right)
    The icons on the right are fixed there, they can't accidentally move them around. They could still delete them if they long press them though.

Theres no shortcut to the app drawer so they don't have to see icons for 50 apps they know nothing about (easy to get back for a normal user).

If it is indeed possible to rid the home screen of all the clutter it might make things easier. Is there any way at all to get music/photos from my computer to an ipad, without needing itunes or any other third party program, if there was an app that could transfer files from SD card to IPOD/album even that would be great.

No its not ill informed its experience. Rebooting is not always enough to fix problems. Speaking of direct experience of archos g10. Also have played with various samsung tablets and they strike me as schoking glitchy things (althou this is doubtless down to Honeycomb no samsung).

Well, honestly I haven't used those so I can't argue. I had an Archos 101 when it first came out and hated it. I have had the Xoom since April last year so I've had it since Honeycomb 3.0 to now ICS 4.04 and I haven't had a problem that a reboot didn't fix and I haven't had shocking glitching problems so maybe Xoom is the way to go if Android is in the mix.

Apart from an iPad, I have had a Motorola Zoom, a Galaxy tab, a Hp touchpad, and a BB playbook and I can guarantee you there is nothing more suitable for your application than an iPad.
    IOS is as close to idiot proof as is possible, and like I demonstrated you can delete/hide most of the unwanted stuff.
    If you spend the rest of your life customizing Android, you won't get it as easy to use as the iPad out of the box.
    There is no logical reason for hating iTunes either, given that you will only be using it as a once off, to put stuff on the iPad, you don't need ever use it again.
    And if all that wasn't enough to clinch the deal, you already have an iPad. :confused:

If you spend the rest of your life customizing Android, you won't get it as easy to use as the iPad out of the box.

Can you tell me how my settings in post 22 above is harder to use for a Technophobe than an iPad out of the box?

I spent 2 minutes of tinkering and came up with this.
    3.png

I installed Go Launcher.
    I turned off the multiple screens so there is only one screen for them to see (no swiping left & right)
    The icons on the right are fixed there, they can't accidentally move them around. They could still delete them if they long press them.

Theres no shortcut to the app drawer so they don't have to see icons for 50 apps they know nothing about (easy to get back for a normal user).

Something like that looks pretty decent alright, thanks a lot for going to all that effort for me :)

So it does indeed appear possible to make the homescreen more user friendly. The crashing is an important point of course, but my own android only crashes due to ROM issues that other roms don't have or me messing about too much. It's generally fine and as mick is saying, the two xooms in his household rarely, if ever crash, so this wouldn't be too strong an issue with the right hardware and version of android. I believe the xoom, from what I've seen, is just as good build quality wise (ok the ipad may be a bit fancier, thinner etc, but the xoom is far from a cheapo chinese bit of plastic).

So far in favour of android there is:
    Easier home screen
    Easier for ME to manage putting new content on.

In favour of iPad:
    Generally see to be more intuitive
    Already have one
    Less crashing/bugs

Now besides that, a very big factor of course is how easy is browsing, typing, selecting things, going back to the previous screen, getting out of somewhere, choosing another song while one is playing, stopping a song, getting the device to light up after it goes to sleep, selecting a video on youtube, being able to google something and not getting lost in a non relative webpage of one of the results. The general use of all apps. How would android compare there?

Now besides that, a very big factor of course is how easy is browsing, typing, selecting things, going back to the previous screen, getting out of somewhere, choosing another song while one is playing, stopping a song, getting the device to light up after it goes to sleep, selecting a video on youtube, being able to google something and not getting lost in a non relative webpage of one of the results. The general use of all apps. How would android compare there?

Is your biggest factor not the cost? :D The good ones still aren't cheap.
    I'm obviously in favour of Android but if my folks had an iPad I'd imagine it'd be more efficient to get them used to it rather than try a new system.

Either will work for your folks realistically but you have to support it. Get the one you prefer. What have you got yourself?

As an example, a few years ago my folks PC died. I got them an old one and put linux on it. I put the icons on the screen for Firefox, email etc. To them it was the same as Windows. To me it was a pain in the ass as I'm a Windows person. When they needed Java updating or a new printer driver I had to go off and research whereas with Windows I would have done it in a second. I eventually got them Windows and set it up for them in a way that I could support. 3 years later they're still using it fine. You're supporting them, get what you can support.

As to your questions about the apps above. I'm not getting into it arguing about different apps on iPad & Android :D the homescreen was enough, but if you have an Android device yourself can you not answer those questions yourself.

Careful go launcher. If it auto updates it will forget your default settings. It can also prompt you alot to choose a defaults which is fine for technically minded but not so for a techo phobe

Careful go launcher. If it auto updates it will forget your default settings. It can also prompt you alot to choose a defaults which is fine for technically minded but not so for a techo phobe

1: I wasn't aware of that. I only spent a minute setting that stuff up. You can however turn off auto updates. So that problem is gone. Or update manually by the OP. To set the screen above took me little time so if the OP updated he'd have the defaults set back up in a couple of minutes.
    2: Prompting for defaults is something that happens once per app (ever). How long would it take to go through the 5 apps I have on the screen?

There are loads of Launchers for tablets. I'm sure the Op can go through them and find the one most suitable for his folks if he goes the Android route.

• Advertisement

2: Prompting for defaults is something that happens once per app (ever). How long would it take to go through the 5 apps I have on the screen?

There are loads of Launchers for tablets. I'm sure the Op can go through them and find the one most suitable for his folks if he goes the Android route.
    I've a side loaded nook so not sure if this is an issue else where but some things I can't select a default. I am always prompted

Advertisement