Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blessington Pike

• 26-10-2011 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Well lads never really fished it .Id be a good pike angler just wondering would i be wasting my time on such a big water if i didnt know where to fish?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In answer to your question I'd say that Blessington is a classic reservoir type fishery. And like all reservoirs, location is rather more important than natural lakes.
    On Blessington, I reckon the location of your bait beside a feature favoured by the pike can multiply the catch by 5x. So just fishing will result in catches, but time spent in reconnaisance prior to fishing is very beneficial to your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I like the Burgage Bridge area for pike as there are features & always a good head of roach, which tends to bring the pike in.

Parking is also very good there.

Dont forget its closed for course & Pike in October, so you'll have to wait another few days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Thanks for the quick reply guys, much appreciated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

We operate boat rental on Blessington Lake and in general our fishing customers have a couple of favourite spots and in general they yield good results.
    As it is a flooded valley with two rivers feeding it there are sections that are fairly deep where the old river bed was and these tend to be good during the warmer months.
    The lake level had been very low this year and that has stiefled the fishing but with the recent rain it has risen nearly back to where is should be.
    As a previous poster said Blessington lake is closed for October to fishing so from 1st November it wll be popular for winter fishing.
    Also you must have a permit to fish €5 for a day licence.
    Regards
    Connel
    http://www.blessingtonlakeboathire.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

connel42 wrote: »
    We operate boat rental on Blessington Lake and in general our fishing customers have a couple of favourite spots and in general they yield good results.
    As it is a flooded valley with two rivers feeding it there are sections that are fairly deep where the old river bed was and these tend to be good during the warmer months.
    The lake level had been very low this year and that has stiefled the fishing but with the recent rain it has risen nearly back to where is should be.
    As a previous poster said Blessington lake is closed for October to fishing so from 1st November it wll be popular for winter fishing.
    Also you must have a permit to fish €5 for a day licence.
    Regards
    Connel
    http://www.blessingtonlakeboathire.com

Very helpfull thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

it hasn fished well in past few years numbers have dropped big time with my biggest in 2 years only barely touching the double mark and big loss of water in it especially in the overflow shame really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

stay away, keep your permit money for petrol to cavan, the esb dont run it as a proper fishery, its used n abused by every yoke that can cast a lure, drink 10 cans and leave their empties on the bank, light fires all over the place. i grew up on her, and ill never return, sold my boat on her, peadar cant police it as much as he wants to, esb wont give him the resources. 30odd for pike licence+50 boat licence= not enough policing of water, water abstraction during pike spawning times, fair enough, an odd 20 comes out if you know the land, and holes, which i do, but id rather go to the coast and catch doggies than give my money to the esb for their blatant disregard for this resource. rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

as a matter of interest why is it closed in October? to an ejit like me it seems a strange time to close a pike lake....didnt the esb not used to stock it with trout at one time? or do they still stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

as a matter of interest why is it closed in October? to an ejit like me it seems a strange time to close a pike lake....didnt the esb not used to stock it with trout at one time? or do they still stock it?
    blessington isnt a pike lake yes it has them but is more known for its course fish and yes they stock it every year with stupid rainbows not nuff browns which is a pity i dont know why its closed in october a fella said its for breeding season but pike breed in feb till april i think but trout breed is right now so maybe for the trout not sure mate

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yes brown trout breed in october
    The rainbows of course dont have lead in the pencil....
    Not sure how it effects the pike though...

blessington isnt a pike lake yes it has them but is more known for its course fish and yes they stock it every year with stupid rainbows not nuff browns which is a pity i dont know why its closed in october a fella said its for breeding season but pike breed in feb till april i think but trout breed is right now so maybe for the trout not sure mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

As far as im aware it closes to avoid any right of way issues from anglers,i have no idea who told me that so it could be a lie:)

Advertisement