Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Froyo VillainRom for Hero released

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Anyone tried it yet? Any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

No flash 10.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Installed it last night. No problems yet, seems pretty quick. Camera doesn't work properly (not that I used it too much anyway) and aesthetically its not much different from a regular vanilla ROM. Lets see how the battery is after 24 hours use....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

So is this worth the install? I am quite happy with running VillainROM 10 on my Hero at the mo.

Nope, wait until the teething issues are sorted out. There is no trackball or led blink when you get an SMS/Email/Missed Call, and the phone got a bit laggy this morning and I had to reboot.

Hold out for the next version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

also there is no sense with this rom which is why its faster.

i have iit on my hero its working fine except the stock camera app but camera magic works to some degree

these guys are pushing the hero to the limits

Any freezes, dunworth? I have a feeling its a widget that's trying to update itself (Weather Bug, Pure Calendar/Grid etc.)

I might wait for the next release and try it again (without those widgets).

Edit: Looks like 1.1 is out now. I'll be reading XDA/VillainRom during the day to see if the slowdowns are fixed.

was going performing a nand backup of VR12 yesterday and accidently selected the USB-MS toggle in recovery, ever since my phone wont connect via USB to my pc so reckon i may as well try out this Froyo ROM soon enough see if that fixes the issue!

I had that problem before (a few months ago on one of my many ROM installations). If you download "Auto Mount Your SD Card" from the android market, it should fix it for you.

Mr E wrote: »
    I had that problem before (a few months ago on one of my many ROM installations). If you download "Auto Mount Your SD Card" from the android market, it should fix it for you.

Cheers, downloaded, will try it later when i get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Running Froyo VillainRom for the last week. Not that bad but a bit slow. I belive there's a new kernel on the way that should sort out the slowness.

They've narrowed the slowness down to this module:

Name: /system/bin/akmd
    UID: compass

They're working on a fix... Not going to install again until its fixed.

ya there is a bit of unresponsiveness every now and again but that is common with first releases

FV 1.1.1 due later today with a bunch of fixes (including the compass bug).

Mr E wrote: »
    FV 1.1.1 due later today with a bunch of fixes (including the compass bug).

sorry jumped ahead of myself

1.1.1 came out a couple of hours ago. Here are all the changes from 1.1 and 1.1.1 (everything from the last 24 hours):
    From 1.1.1

* Multi-touch restored to improved touchscreen driver
    * Applied workaround for akmd running at 100% cpu utilisation (Thanks alankila)
    * Fixed GMail app resolution
    * VillainROM Updater now works
    * Compcache enable/disable script fixed (compcache on by default)
    * HTC Sense ringtones added

From 1.1.0
    # Custom OC kernel with fixed touch input (that's right, the age old AOSP touchscreen driver causing high CPU usage is fixed!)
    # Custom FroydVillain Wallpaper + some images
    # Works with EXT partition
    # All HTC & Stock Android Ringtones, message, alarm, notification tones, etc.
    # Great Open GL and overall ROM performance
    # Fancy Widget (HTC style clock)
    # Launcher Pro
    # USB and Wifi tether apps added to work around inbuilt option not working
    # NubDial added to allow T9 searches
    # Facebook sync issue fixed
    # 3G indicator now shows H symbol for HSDPA connections
    # Gallery -somewhat- fixed when rotating, still a bit iffy
    # Dictionary suggestions fixed in stock keyboard
    # HTC IME MOD keyboard added, no voice input
    # Missing fonts added to resolve symbols being displayed incorrectly
    # Overclocking problems in Froyd 1.0 resolved in the kernel

Might be giving this a spin in the morning....

Typical. Updated to 1.1.0 an hour before that was released. Seems to require a full wipe

Dingatron wrote: »
    Typical. Updated to 1.1.0 an hour before that was released. Seems to require a full wipe

ya otherwise wifi wont work

How are people getting on with this ROM? 1.2 due out soon according to twitter, thinking it might be time for an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hows the Froyd VillianROM working out? Any issues with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Anybody have froyo on the hero? How is it working out?

Cheers

i have it since the villain team released it in the beginning it was buggy as to be expected and the camera wasn't working

but yesterday they released a new version froydvillain 1.1.9

and this fixes the camera problems

my phone runs faster then with sense on it.

my only gripes are that things like the dialing app are much better on sense even tough you can get pretty good replacements in the market

I flashed 1.1.9 two days ago. Weird without the Sense UI but everybody raves about LauncherPro so am willing to give it a go, prob aint using half the features of it.

I came from VillainRom12 which is easily the best rom I tried, everything worked, battery lasted and was very responsive. I banjaxed my SD card when transferring files and figured since i was having to format my SD card might as well try out something different.

Froyd aint as nippy for me at the mo tho. You have to flash a new kernel, i picked the 19mhz - 691mhz one, my phone is laggy when I unlock it. Using the CpuSpeed app hasnt helped. Think I'll try the 352mhz - 691mhz kernel, see how that goes, if no joy I'll be back to VR12.

I dont really see the benefits of Froyo on the Hero if ya can't get flash 10.1 working, or am i missing something? :confused:

Installed 1.2.1 this morning. Very solid performance. I can't see any speed differences between this and VanillaEclair 4, which I've been using for the last month (and that's a good thing - VE4 was fast). Camera is working, all apps are working, no slowdowns. Looks like a keeper.

With Titanium Backup, restoring my apps was very painless (they warn against using googles own backup/restore because it slows the phone down).

On a sidenote, I love the new Launcher Pro Plus widgets too (up to 4 now). A new SMS widget was added last night.

Let me know how it runs for you. Still on 1.1.9 its fast enough but do get force closes and it kinda freezes sometimes, hoping 1.2.1 irons all this out, have to do a full wipe tho :-(

Have 1.2.1 running since yesterday and its a keeper alright. Everything working for me and very FAST! Having a slow up with NewsRob syncing but its not related as far as I can see. Any recommendations for a replacement for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Had no luck installing 1.2.1 - did a full wipe, and flashed the ROM along with the 352-691 kernel. When I rebooted it just showed Hero onscreen and didn't get any further in over an hour (left it overnight, but the battery ran out at some stage.) Started up this morning and it got as far as the boot animation (very cool, btw), and the stopped. Again left it for over an hour without any change.

Gave up then and restored the backup. Might try again later.

Had no luck installing 1.2.1 - did a full wipe, and flashed the ROM along with the 352-691 kernel. When I rebooted it just showed Hero onscreen and didn't get any further in over an hour (left it overnight, but the battery ran out at some stage.) Started up this morning and it got as far as the boot animation (very cool, btw), and the stopped. Again left it for over an hour without any change.

Gave up then and restored the backup. Might try again later.

what are you upgrading from

I flashed the ROM first, set up my google account and all my apps, and then flashed the kernel.

Over 30 hours since switching over, and I'm on 48% battery (WiFi or Data on at all times). Pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

dunworth1 wrote: »
    what are you upgrading from

VR12.

Yeah, was thinking the problem might have been flashing both at the same time. I'll give it a go without the kernel tomorrow.

Advertisement