Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspire one

• 10-11-2008 3:17pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seriously considering one of these. My preference would be:

1G ram
    8G SSD
    6 cell battery

I can't seem to find that config. Is it possible to customise a build anywhere? Or is there a similarly priced netbook with decent battery life that I should consider instead?

Lastly: Where would you recommend buying from? laptopsdirect seem to have it at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I bought the 120GB hard disk & 1GB RAM version with windows XP and it sexcellent.

I got a great deal it cost me €399 however i get 25% back in shopping viouchers as i got it under the dunnes Stores 25% back off everything offer.

Works out at €300 and i get vouchers in time for Xmas grocery shopping.

I saw on youtube the one with the 8GB hard disk can run XP, there are instructions on youtube on how to install and run it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you want to run Windows on it don't get the SSD model. It's as slow as a dog with XP. The 1GB model with the 120GB HDD runs great with it. Do a google for slow acer ssd for more info.

Ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L) seems to run much better than XP on the SSD model. Or you can just leave the preinstalled OS (Linpus) on it.

I got some from Elara for work. They arrived fairly quick. http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME865L815 (thats for the Linux one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

what u want is a samsung nc10.

slightly bigger screen at 10"
    way way better keyboard
    more than double the battery life
    160 gig bard drive, 1.3kg inc the 6 cell battery.

you can buy online,or in the likes of pc world in a few days time..i got one from currys..they only had 1..for demo purposes, but it still hadnt been taken out of the box yet and i asked them to sell it to me..399 euro, can get online for 370, but add delivery and ur up around 399, and i have the piece of mind if anything goes wrong, currys will just swap it for a new one..no posting back to online supplier and waiting ages and paying exrta postage costs..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for all the replies. I should have said that I'm happy to use linux. I'll probably install ubuntu or xubuntu on it myself. I don't use windows at all. :)

Battery life is a consideration for me. I expect to mostly use it on the train or long haul flights (I travel a bit with work). I'll have a google for that NC10, but 400's probably a bit of a stretch on the budget front.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I got a great deal it cost me 399 however i get 25% back in shopping viouchers as i got it under the dunnes Stores 25% back off everything offer.

Works out at 300 and i get vouchers in time for Xmas grocery shopping.

Is this currently available in dunnes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

cojomo2 wrote: »
    ... i have the piece of mind if anything goes wrong, currys will just swap it for a new one..no posting back to online supplier and waiting ages and paying exrta postage costs..

Incorrect I believe. I'm fairly sure they're not an exchange item, but are indeed sent away for repair. It's just you have the option to leave it in with the store and let them handle the repair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't get it from laptopsdirect just do a search here for them to see some of the stuff they get up to. If you manage to pay the price you see on the site (one person suggested a great way that involved sending lots of emails and getting a written guarantee of the price from someone in customer service) and have no problems with it afterwards then they are grand.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't get it from laptopsdirect just do a search here for them to see some of the stuff they get up to. If you manage to pay the price you see on the site (one person suggested a great way that involved sending lots of emails and getting a written guarantee of the price from someone in customer service) and have no problems with it afterwards then they are grand.

+1. Wouldn't buy off laptopsdirect, absolute nightmare of a retailer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't you mean, wouldn't buy off them again? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't you mean, wouldn't buy off them again? :D

:o
    unfortunately yes!:mad:
    I blame you for all my misfortune...

Ah no, you're alright!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the heads up lads. Appreciate it.

Advertisement